Archived Brand TM "training" as LOD in Nov/Dec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this on the Target subreddit, but I want to get this forum's opinions as well.

I interviewed for the VML position and didn't get it, but I am now on the bench and my STL/HR-ETL/SL-ETL are grooming me toward being able to interview again in 4-6 months. I'm being promoted to a brand team member with an additional 25cents added to my hourly.

My STL told me today that I am on the schedule in Nov/Dec as an LOD, "training" with my SL-ETL who will be telling me more about it tomorrow.

THAT SAID - is it/HOW is it okay for me to be a brand TM and only get an extra 25c, but also be training/acting LOD with all the duties that come along? While I will be getting more info, I doubt it's going to be anything about appropriate compensation (though I'll make sure to inquire).

Is this something typical of Target, or is this just another round of shenanigans from my particular store? I understand they're trying to train/prepare/groom me for the future, but I certainly feel like if they're only going to give me a mere 25c raise, this is an exploitation of my talents.

I'd really appreciate some thoughts and insight on this from you guys.

I posted this on the Target subreddit, but I want to get this forum's opinions as well.

I interviewed for the VML position and didn't get it, but I am now on the bench and my STL/HR-ETL/SL-ETL are grooming me toward being able to interview again in 4-6 months. I'm being promoted to a brand team member with an additional 25cents added to my hourly.

My STL told me today that I am on the schedule in Nov/Dec as an LOD, "training" with my SL-ETL who will be telling me more about it tomorrow.

THAT SAID - is it/HOW is it okay for me to be a brand TM and only get an extra 25c, but also be training/acting LOD with all the duties that come along? While I will be getting more info, I doubt it's going to be anything about appropriate compensation (though I'll make sure to inquire).

Is this something typical of Target, or is this just another round of shenanigans from my particular store? I understand they're trying to train/prepare/groom me for the future, but I certainly feel like if they're only going to give me a mere 25c raise, this is an exploitation of my talents.

I'd really appreciate some thoughts and insight on this from you guys.
Carrot, dangling.

But shadowing isn't keys, which isn't actually the job or pay. Just your chance to watch that it's not extended slavery for cheap.

@sailorcitrine I don't think you're training for LOD shifts. You're a benched TM? Maybe some leadership training, or maybe you'll just shadow your ETL during their LOD shift?

I was "LOD" as a TPS for my last 9 months while I graduated college and could accept my offer officially. Every friday I would be "MID LOD." No keys, no real power. Looking back it was definitely just something to keep me interested, but it was actually making me uninterested. I participated in it so my leadership would know I still wanted ETL.

The best part was after my 4-5 hours of LOD I was red and khaki TPS with my other TPS, much easier to follow in that than the old security uniforms.

Think of all the responsibility they could give you. All the things you be in charge of. You could be acting LOD! Handling guest complaints. Making decisions about who does what and when. All that power ....

And no pay to go along with it.

Think of all the responsibility they could give you. All the things you be in charge of. You could be acting LOD! Handling guest complaints. Making decisions about who does what and when. All that power ....

And no pay to go along with it.

I think I'd be okay with the telling people what to do aspect of it. You wouldn't even have to pay me to do that! "So-and-so, go here and do this. Because I said so. Because I'm LOD. *happy dance*"

How can a Brand TM be an LOD? They are still TMs not TLs or ETLs. I'm confused.
I have no idea! That's why I'm asking you guys.
I saw the schedule on my STL's phone though, and my name is definitely on there, singularly.
I haven't received any new information yet.

^^^ I do enjoy giving direction to other TMs though.

Sounds like exploit to the nth degree. Most people complain that they do TL duties without pay, but you're skipping some slots on the totem pole here. I hope something serious comes out of it for you and they aren't jerking you around.

I just can't imagine TLs and above being okay with taking direction from a TM. I'm not saying you aren't a great leader, I'm sure you are, but some people take status more importantly than being able to lead. I hope you get what you deserve.

Our STL has let certain TMs "be LOD" for a few hours if she was busy. But never for an entire shift, and certainly not on the LOD schedule.

I think I'd be okay with the telling people what to do aspect of it. You wouldn't even have to pay me to do that! "So-and-so, go here and do this. Because I said so. Because I'm LOD. *happy dance*"

It's only fun until you realize that much of it wont get done to the degree you would like it done. And some tms just won't do a damn thing you say.

I believe that these could be "LOD" hours a-looted under MyTime so that you can actually get time to learn.

I know for Ad-Setup I am scheduled under Inventory, and sometimes Sales Floor Training (lol) Probably whatever has the most time to spend.

I know they do this with our "Consumables" hours, 5 People may be scheduled under Consumables, but only 2 will actually be Consumables/Market, while the other 3 end up in Hardlines.

I have an update!

My STL has a knack for saying things that sound like things they're not. He DEFINITELY said I'd be LOD when he first announced this to me, but upon clarification, what he meant was that I'd be "LOD in training/TL training" where I'll be running one side of the store/taking care of endcap sets/having ppl report to me so that I have something developmental to talk about in upcoming interviews.

I have an update!

My STL has a knack for saying things that sound like things they're not. He DEFINITELY said I'd be LOD when he first announced this to me, but upon clarification, what he meant was that I'd be "LOD in training/TL training" where I'll be running one side of the store/taking care of endcap sets/having ppl report to me so that I have something developmental to talk about in upcoming interviews.

That would be what most stores used to call TLOD(team leader on duty) but a lot of stores went away from this model. It is a great developmental piece and way for you to prove you can handle team lead duties and run the team. You still should not be on the LOD schedule and your hours most certainly can not come from the SR TL/LOD bank.

Be careful as this can still be "carrot dangling". If they keep having you pull these duties for an extended period of time without sending you to TL interviews I would recommend speaking to your HR & STL to get a timetable on when they plan on making that happen.

I have an update!

Sounds like he may have said (or meant to say) team leader on duty...which is a different thing than being the leader on duty.

Our STL has let certain TMs "be LOD" for a few hours if she was busy. But never for an entire shift, and certainly not on the LOD schedule.

Our ETL-HR used to have me answer LOD calls and otherwise act as LOD, but it was indeed as you are referencing, not scheduled as such, and not for an entire shift.

As for TLOD vs.LOD, at my store there's virtually no difference. They just call it TLOD when the LOD is a TL instead of a Sr. TL or ETL. They're very rare shifts though at my store. The only TL that got such shifts was finishing up their degree so they could become a ETL.

I think it's more TLOD on duty experience. A VML will have to run the floor in the absence of a SFTL, and that training gives you more of a global understanding of store processes. According to what I've heard from my HRBP in the past, you can't training LOD until you've been identified and benched as a Senior. And as you're not a TL and they've identified you as a VML(a leadership position not eligible for Senior), I don't think that's their goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back