Archived Calling all Self Checkout Champions, Red Card Kings and Queens, GSA(s), GSTL(s), ETL(s) and LOD(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat at heart

I'm part cat =^.^=
Hi :)
I am probably not the best when it comes to Red Cards. I have no problem pitching Red Cards, the hardest thing for me isn't the four E's, it's pushing past the "NO." I can push past a "No," but HOW do the BEST of you push past the "NO" the "NO thank you" "NOt interested" "NOt today" or the guest who says the only reason they went through Self Checkout was to avoid having to hear about a Target Card, the most stern and absolute"NO(s)?" I've been assigned to Self Checkout recently. I was told by one of my fellow cashiers who also does Self Checkout, that only the best cashiers get assigned to it. My GSTL said the same thing when I asked :) I am probably not the best when it comes to Red Cards, but I want to get better. Please help me? Anybody??? Meow??? =^.^= Lol.

I don't think a RC sign up stat is part of being one of the best cashiers, because I'm assigned to SCO all the time and I can't remember the last time I got a card.

I think it's more about your personality and your knowledge. Do you interact well with guests? Do you know how to troubleshoot when POS spazzes out? Do you feel empowered enough to deal with General complaints and know when it's time to involve the leaders? Are you able to multitask - at my store, the TM working SCO is often also speedweaving, zoning Bullseye and lanes, pulling reshop to GS, and more.

Some people don't want a redcard and there's nothing you can say to make them want one. redcards do build loyalty but harassing guests about them constantly drives them right out the door and to the blue store

The only thing you can do after a guest has expressed vehement disinterest is to mention the debit card version and how it works. I know it's a different crowd at self checkout tho, I once asked a guest if they had a RedCard yet while covering SCO and I got shot back the most evil glare I've ever received.

Reactions: Dog
At my store I don't want my TMs focused on pushing the redcards when they're in SCO. I want them more focused on reducing shortage. Also, many guests go through SCO to avoid the redcard spiels so...Check in with your GE about what your focus should be in SCO.

I mention the Debit option, a lot. I've gotten a few people who use our Credit option to open the Debit one as well. The most I've gotten at Self Checkout has been 4 in a full shift.

What's the most you guys have been able to get and the toughest "NO" you guys were able t' push past?

When you ask the first time say are you Saving 5 percent today with your redcard?
That reminds those who do have it to pull it out, and then if they say no you can push past by saying
Would you like to sign up? It takes 60 seconds and comes in credit or debit

Sometimes mentioning free ship no min helps. Read the guest. If they're in a terrible mood then don't try too hard

personally I don't push the REDcard at SCO (i literally don't care lol) but you could try:

-5% off today and every day (on literally everything except giftcards... except you do get 5% off some gift cards)
-mention the debit option
-Target Wallet (you don't even need to bring the card with you to the store!)
-extra 30 days to return (take your time and decide if you like what you bought, if you don't, just bring it back! we can even look up the receipt with your card)
-free shipping from Target.com
-exclusive extras (coupons that only get sent to REDcard holders)
-early access to Target.com deals (black friday???)

company wide right now the focus is pushing Target Wallet, so I'd probably just start there and let it branch out into a REDcard pitch if the guest seems receptive.

Asking for a redcard at SCO is a whole different crowd.

For the most part, people aren't 100% interested in conversation and just want to get the fuck out of there. I think certain situations do call for a redcard pitch. If any of your guests at SCO ever have a ton of coupons "Ohh saving a lot of money with coupons? I hope you're using our Redcard and cartwheel in conjunction as well for stacked savings!!" if you're serious enough, just ask whenever you see any coupon or cartwheel offer being used.

Touch base with your ETL-GE and/or GSTL what your main focus should be. Great customer service seems to prevail and shortage prevention is another big focus before Redcards even become relevant at my store.

Thanks guys, I'm just trying to get all the help I can get because the pressure at my store is always high. Even for Self Checkout.

I almost always work SCO and we are not pressured to ask guests about red cards. I do tell them about linking their red card and gift cards to cartwheel if I see them using the target app. I promote the debit card since that’s what I have - but no one has checks anymore so I just explain how they can sign up online.

I have to ask EVERY guest. They will forgive me if I miss one, because I was busy helping another guest, but other than that uh-huh AND we still HAVE to push past the "NO(s)," but even on a normal register, I still have a very hard time pushing past the "NO thank you" "NOt today" " NOt interested" " I get airline miles on my card," so maybe what I should have asked, what I want to know isn't how you push past "NO(s)" on Self Checkout, but what can I say to change the minds of those tough customers when I'm on an actual check lane?

Most of y'all lucky bastards don't have my problem Lol ;) but maaaybe, if I can push past the "NO(s)" when I'm on a normal register, I'll be okay on Self Checkout. Please help me push past the "NO(s)" on a register now, no more SCO.

personally I don't push the REDcard at SCO (i literally don't care lol) but you could try:

-Target Wallet (you don't even need to bring the card with you to the store!)

company wide right now the focus is pushing Target Wallet, so I'd probably just start there and let it branch out into a REDcard pitch if the guest seems receptive.

Thanks for the reminder to push wallet as part of the Redcard shpeel. I've only been pushing it to existing redcard holders which is stupid of me!

for those who push redcards at SCO how does that come up? Are you already at the register for a question/problem or do you walk up to everyone and bring up redcards. I want to I just don't know how to do it.

Lol. When they were training me for Self Checkout, my supervisors emphasized asking EVERY guest, EVERY time, like being on an actual register. I just walk up and ask. It's just a little harder to break the ice on Self Checkout. Sometimes I'll ask about the stuff they're buying, like pet food, I'll ask about their pets, if they're buying baby stuff, I ask about the little one, some transactions don't last long enough to interact with the guest, so I just walk up and ask. It's not how long you interact with a guest... I guess it's more about what you say, and how responsive the guest is, also if they need help with something when I go up to help them I offer the Target Card as another way I can help them. It doesn't always work, but there's been times that I was hesitant to ask, and ended up very glad that I did.

Askin' isn't really a problem for me. It's just... the "NO(s)," and to my supervisors, pushing PAST the "NO(s)" is just as important as asking. Some people don't want to give their SSN, some people get travel points, some just DON'T want it... (Sigh). Those "NO(s). Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back