Archived calling out cause of morning sickness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i’m still under my 90 days but I got rehired at a Target I used to work at, and I was just wondering if I can get fired for calling out cause i’m pregnant and i’ve been having morning sickness just today? I already called out but the operator took my call out because there’s no dayside LOD yet but she’ll let them know as soon as they come in. i’m just worried about my 90 days and calling out. I didn’t want to but i’ve been throwing up and feeling sick all morning ever since i woke up and it’s awful.

It’s more risky to call out during your 90 days, but if you bring in a doctor’s note from your OB/GYN they should understand

Fresh ginger slice (nickel sized) bold chew and wash it down with whatever you like. Or ginger tea. Fresh is faster. Tastes horrible but worth it. Feel better.

As long as you bring in a doc's note, you can't get fired. Depending on how bad it gets and how often you call out, they most likely won't extend a permanent position to you.

I would think it depends on what state you are in and what kind of job protection covers you. In my state FMLA would cover someone in cases of morning sickness but you wouldn't have enough hours for that. Especially this time of year, Target needs workers who can work when scheduled and if you go over the attendance guidelines they can fire you. I know some people have morning sickness only in the morning while others have it day and night. If you have specific times that you are more likely to be sick, you may want to see if Target can work with your schedule.

Even if they don't fire you depending on how often it is happening, they may just not schedule you very much if at all and likely won't offer a permanent position if you were hired at temporary seasonal.

I could have written this post. I was in my 90 days during my second term at Target when I found out I was pregnant. I only left once when some new nausea medication made me too dizzy to zone. For me, it was almost 17 weeks of constant nausea, so I couldn't call out that much. What I did was try seabands on my wrists and put little snacks in my pocket to eat every couple minutes (sour gummy candy was the thing that worked best). I didn't get a Dr note because all of our leadership was super understanding but I would have gotten one if I was challenged. I also had a drink with me on the floor at all times which helped.

Fact Sheet for Small Businesses: Pregnancy Discrimination - https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/publications/pregnancy_factsheet.cfm
While allowing a pregnant worker to modify their schedule due to morning sickness is a reasonable accommodation under ADA, I don't see how allowing someone hired retail during the busiest quarter to call out excessively on a day by day basis could be considered a reasonable accommodation.

I guess it depends on how much the OP is calling out. If it is once every 3-4 weeks then it might not be a problem but if it is every 3rd or 4th shift including multiple days in some weeks, I feel for you but allowing that doesn't seem like a reasonable accommodation that does not result in significant difficulty for the business.

Morning sickness is rarely 24/7. The OP could be scheduled only for times that she is normally not sick. With as many employees as there are a limited schedule would not really impact business.

Morning sickness is rarely 24/7. The OP could be scheduled only for times that she is normally not sick. With as many employees as there are a limited schedule would not really impact business.

There are many people who have morning sickness all day. It's really a misnomer. Mine gets worse in the evening some days, but it's always there. I've had it with all 5 kids. I sucked it up but some people have it worse than I do.

There are many people who have morning sickness all day. It's really a misnomer. Mine gets worse in the evening some days, but it's always there. I've had it with all 5 kids. I sucked it up but some people have it worse than I do.
Some people, yes, which is why I said rarely and not never. But it's not that common for women to have all day morning sickness and the associated hydration and nutritional problems, so for most women scheduling around the pattern and understanding the sometimes really bad day will necessitate a callout is well within reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back