Archived calling out christmas eve

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, they have me scheduled 2:30-11 pm on chrtistmas eve as a cart attendant but i have family stuff going on that night i will miss if i go into work. i have tried to find someone but theres literally no other trained cart attendant that can take my shift. im mainly just wondering what will they do if i do call out that night?

A lot of people have family stuff that night, sometimes you have to suck it up.

I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but there's a lot you could've done to prevent this. You could've requested the day off ahead of time. By calling out, you're putting a burden on someone else at work.

Last edited:
for me family>10$/hr job, if i was making more like 16+ an hour i wouldnt complain but as it stands now if it wasnt for my dad i wouldnt even have a place to live as i dont even make enough to support myself

for me family>10$/hr job, if i was making more like 16+ an hour i wouldnt complain but as it stands now if it wasnt for my dad i wouldnt even have a place to live as i dont even make enough to support myself
How long have you been working? If you're under 90 days I wouldn't call out, I can't guarantee you'll keep your job.

If you're seasonal / under 90 days I wouldn't call out if you like your job

ive been there for over 3 years now, and around my store they always gave the impression you couldnt ask christmas eve off so i never did they have always gave me opening shifts and i was off in time for my family so i never bothered

I think if you can't find anyone else to cover it, i wouldn't suggest it just because it would be kind of a rude thing to do to leave them without a cart attendant. However, I totally understand where you're coming from. Being at work instead of with family sucks a bunch. So maybe just use your gut to evaluate how much trouble you think you would be in and if it's worth it

I asked for the holidays off in like... late August. Basically guaranteed. First come first serve.

Is it possible you can just do a shorter shift? Or leave Christmas Day? Targets everywhere aren't open Christmas Day. I'm a Cart Attendant too and I wish some cashiers had training in doing carts. Not supposed to be that cold too. I think if you talk to a few cashiers or perhaps ex-cart attendants you could figure something out.

Also, there should be an opener for Carts, talk to him/her and see if you could swap.

At the end of the day you have to do what you have to do. I would talk with your etl/tl and ask them if there is any way you could leave earlier. I know for a fact that in my store they are working around some people and letting them leave early. Calling out on Christmas eve wont count against you any more than calling out any other day. However, ( as we all know ) Spot likes to play the get even game sometimes. So, no one can promise you that wont happen. Yes, we work in retail and yes working holidays comes with he territory. However, Spot being opened till 10 pm on Christmas eve....is just wrong ( IMO) So, I am pretty sure if you do call out you wont be the only one .

So, they have me scheduled 2:30-11 pm on chrtistmas eve as a cart attendant but i have family stuff going on that night i will miss if i go into work. i have tried to find someone but theres literally no other trained cart attendant that can take my shift. im mainly just wondering what will they do if i do call out that night?

I sympathize with you.

Did your store do a q4 availability sheet? Ask for days off back in October. Maybe you did and didnt get them.

Best situation would be to switch with opening CA.

If you are set on calling out I would call out the night before to give your store time to adjust. I personally would just work it if I were you knowing I had Christmas off but you know your situation better than any of us.

Last edited:
E0rdW2O.gif

If you do call out, you for sure won't be the only one. They have me scheduled at 4am on the 26th for the sunday signing since we're closed. I will get home from upstate, shower, change, and head to work. I prob should call out lol. But bills. I can sleep later.

For those stores that have overnight TM's working Christmas...is it as mandatory as working Thanksgiving/Black Friday?

I'm scheduled Christmas but can't work(not only because it's Christmas but it goes against my availability) and I'm calling out, so I was just wondering if they would be as annoyed as a regular call out? Or royally pissed since its a holiday?

Availability does not matter on holidays, period. This is what HR will tell you if you try to claim availability. It's like saying you're unavailable on Fridays so you can't work Black Friday. They will not accept that.

I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but there's a lot you could've done to prevent this. You could've requested the day off ahead of time. By calling out, you're putting a burden on someone else at work.

Well, you're going to screw other people into doing your job. A lot of people have family stuff like that but if you call in someone is going to get roped into doing your shit. I'm a tps and I've had to push carts with the LOD, TLOD, and a FA because our closing CA called out. As AP I've pushed carts in more than store side because I help when CAs call out. Now I'm sorry you got scheduled, I'll be working too but this should've been taken care of a long time ago so for now it's time to do grown up shit

Spot isn't suppose to treat a tm calling out on a Holiday any different than any other call out. I will not go into the long story but we had an instance ( several years) ago at my store...people called the hotline and the District HR got involved. We were told that a call out is a call out . I would talk to your hr and or etl explain to them the situation and let them know that you cant/wont work. At least give them a heads up. As far as it being mandatory they may say that but if you are unavailable they will have a hard time enforcing it . I have a friend/co worker who cant/wont work weekends. They approved her availability ....Black Friday weekend they scheduled her. She went to them and said I cant work this.....they said well we really need everyone here. She said well its against my availability . They said ok and took her off . They weren't super happy about it but they did it .

Last edited:
Well, you're going to screw other people into doing your job. A lot of people have family stuff like that but if you call in someone is going to get roped into doing your shit. I'm a tps and I've had to push carts with the LOD, TLOD, and a FA because our closing CA called out. As AP I've pushed carts in more than store side because I help when CAs call out. Now I'm sorry you got scheduled, I'll be working too but this should've been taken care of a long time ago so for now it's time to do grown up shit
I was gonna say the same thing. One of my best friends is a GSTL and she spent her last Christmas Eve running the entire front end, plus collecting all the carts every hour in an A volume store because her cart attendant called out. She had family stuff she wanted to do to, but she showed up and did her job, plus someone else's job, and I don't think that was really fair to her. Last Christmas Eve I had family stuff going on, but I told my family I would see them on Christmas because I was on the schedule at work for Christmas Eve. It's retail, you're always going to have to work days you don't want to. I sympathize with missing family stuff, but I also sympathize for the other people who are gonna get screwed over if you call out. So yeah, you probably won't get in trouble if you call out, but I don't think it's the right thing to do.

On an unrelated note I swear that the Target I went to today had a sign on their door saying they closed at 5:00 on Christmas Eve. I must have misread something, because I don't see why one store would be closing significantly earlier than others.

Waiting till the minute & after the schedule has been up for 2 weeks.

To be fair it sounds like he put it on the shift swap board when he got it. But at this point most people have too many hours to grab shifts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back