Archived Calling Out Policy

Do family emergencies count against you?

• Yes

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had to call out Wednesday because I was sick. Yesterday, I had to leave early due to a family emergency. Would it look bad if I were to call in tomorrow saying I still need to be with my family? I may be able to find someone to cover me. If I do, would that count against me? I'm past the 90 days and I call out at least 1 time a month. I'm a good worker however, I'm not familiar with attendance policy.

All call outs (excused or not) work Against you. Not to be funny but I hope your resume is updated. You might be out of a job soon.

I've read in many posts that they don't mind as long as you have someone to cover you. And I mean it's a family emergency.

I call out at least 1 time a month. I'm a good worker

When I read this, I had a strange feeling that your store might not feel the same way. Attendance is a big factor in assessing performance. A pattern of 1+ call offs every month is not good attendance.

So I had to call out Wednesday because I was sick. Yesterday, I had to leave early due to a family emergency. Would it look bad if I were to call in tomorrow saying I still need to be with my family?

It's hard for a series of call outs to not look bad, especially since you frequently do it. You should speak with HR to see what your options are if you are going to keep missing your shifts. Depending on the family emergency, you might be able to go on leave instead.

I've read in many posts that they don't mind as long as you have someone to cover you. And I mean it's a family emergency.

Depends on the store. It will definitely help more than if you just call off with no replacement.

The biggest thing is that you should communicate with HR about what is going on. They can't help you much if you leave them in the dark.

Last edited:
Depends on your store. Some won't bother you but others will coach you.

A family emergency is a bit of a vague call out reason that some people happen to abuse from time to time because leaders usually don't ask more questions. Many have legit family emergencies

Ultimately no it's not better than any other absence.

If you don't want to be coached over attendance I suggest getting your shifts covered if possible. Kronos could help with that.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that this is exactly the sort of thing that calling off is meant for...things where you just absolutely cannot make it to work for serious reasons. So yes it will count against you, but it doesn't matter if you don't do it often.

It really irks me when people call out multiple times a month for bs reasons like wanting to go out with friends or feeling too tired, and then they get upset when they are legitimately sick and HR won't excuse the absence.

Keep in mind that this is exactly the sort of thing that calling off is meant for...things where you just absolutely cannot make it to work for serious reasons. So yes it will count against you, but it doesn't matter if you don't do it often.

It really irks me when people call out multiple times a month for bs reasons like wanting to go out with friends or feeling too tired, and then they get upset when they are legitimately sick and HR won't excuse the absence.
Or when they complain they don't get hours but call out all the time. Of course your hours will get cut.

Calling out at least once a month is not good at all.

It'll of course look bad against you for calling out for any reason but if you're store is understanding then they'll take your reasoning that you give and not think too much of it. Calling out for family emergencies is understandable.

But I wouldn't be shocked if your hours are cut at all or you get talked to about calling out frequently

I have to agree. It really sucks having to cover for the person that regularly calls out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back