Calling out

Florida Dawg

Former Cart Attendant Pro and Target Employee
I have a question for everyone, I been at Target for 8 months now and I called out for the 3rd time ever there and it’s legit personal stuff that I have had going on recently and I just had to miss work for the first time in like a month. Is it normal for the ETL or TL to make you feel guilty and say “this counts as an absence on your record” or anything like that or is it just my work. I’m not a seasonal worker anymore so it’s not an big issue for my job, but I’m curious about if anyone has similar issues when it came to working at Target and called out.

The absence policy is waived right now, so that person is full of sh!t
I thought so too cus of Covid, my store is toxic as hell and it’s unfortunate management allows it. They know I work hard there so it shouldn’t be a big deal.

Don't EVER feel guilty for a legit absence, never. Especially now with the C hanging over everyone. Tell the asshole to back off but do it in a round-about passively aggressive manner. Think it out before you say anything.
I just kept my mouth shut and shrugged it off, I try to be respectful to these managers and higher ups there but I don’t respect them for their job and how they treat their employees. I’ve said it before on here that my workplace is toxic. That’s why I lay low when I can and get work done and avoid the nonsense. Just calling out at my work seems like they want me to be guilty regardless unless it’s Covid related which I haven’t had it or shown symptons all year.

If it gets too bad, it’s nothing a call to corporate HR can’t handle
Snitching isn’t my thing, but unless it’s serious and stuff I can’t handle just like the workplace problems or whatnot, I would let someone know that can handle it. Everytime we have corporate visits, Management gets nervous and acts different kinda like how some teachers were when they had visits from the school board and school admin, They get nervous and stuff cus they know they aren’t doing their job right. But point is, it did make me a bit mad how my ETL handled my call earlier and they know I been dealing with a lot recently.

who told you that?

“What is Target doing to support its team members during this time?”

“Extending benefits to help all of our team members navigate the impact of the coronavirus. This includes waiving our absenteeism policy, offering quarantine pay for 14 days and confirmed illness pay at 100% of their pay for 14 days.”

Last edited:

“What is Target doing to support its team members during this time?”

“Extending benefits to help all of our team members navigate the impact of the coronavirus. This includes waiving our absenteeism policy, offering quarantine pay for 14 days and confirmed illness pay at 100% of their pay for 14 days.”
But here’s the problem: what they don’t tell you is that YOU have to have tested positive for the virus but if someone in your house has it, you’re to quarantine but they won’t pay you to be out. Happened to me. I was told by my store’s HR ETL that I wasn’t going to get paid for having to be out when my entire house had Covid except me.

The rest of it is correct though.

But here’s the problem: what they don’t tell you is that YOU have to have tested positive for the virus but if someone in your house has it, you’re to quarantine but they won’t pay you to be out. Happened to me. I was told by my store’s HR ETL that I wasn’t going to get paid for having to be out when my entire house had Covid except me.

The rest of it is correct though.
You should have gotten paid. My sister in my house had it and I got a paid LOA.

You should have gotten paid. My sister in my house had it and I got a paid LOA.
Different stores must have different standards. I asked why and my HR ETL was just like “well you didn’t test positive so you don’t get paid regardless that you had to be out a month because the people in your house all had Covid.”
I’m like what the hell? It’s your policy to be out and quarantined until the virus leaves the house. I’m within 6ft of these people at all times and I had to take care of them because they were all sick. Might have to talk to someone higher up maybe?
Not mention I’m high risk for the virus as it is and I have no idea how I managed to avoid it so far.

You may have had an asymptomatic case. Or very mild symptoms missed in all the chaos.

I think it's Pay & Benefits and not HR that determines leave status.

The absence policy is waived right now, so that person is full of sh!t
At my store this is only true if you are calling out for being sick/having any covid symptoms, whether or not you have covid. Our SD instrusted all TL's to coach and document call outs that were for non-illness reasons.

Different stores must have different standards. I asked why and my HR ETL was just like “well you didn’t test positive so you don’t get paid regardless that you had to be out a month because the people in your house all had Covid.”
I’m like what the hell? It’s your policy to be out and quarantined until the virus leaves the house. I’m within 6ft of these people at all times and I had to take care of them because they were all sick. Might have to talk to someone higher up maybe?
Not mention I’m high risk for the virus as it is and I have no idea how I managed to avoid it so far.
Definitely depends on your HR. I know at least one person in my store who was presenting symptoms, quarantined for two weeks, tested negative (and tested positive for a different illness) and got paid for those two weeks. They did not use sick time or vacation time.

Also like others have said, if your absence is not because you aren't feeling well, they are starting to crack down. We had a few people really taking advantage of the waived policy, so I think they are being stricter now.

If you’re getting tested, waiting for results, have symptoms yes it’s waived. However, the regular “I’m not feeling well” and not using sick hours is not waived. That was around March when it wasn’t being documented and we just had to deal with it.
Now it’s follow up per usual. When you guys call out saying you’re sick or not feeling well we ask the wellness check questions and if you’re seeking to get tested. If no then it’s normal.

At least that’s what’s happening in my store. Attendance is definitely not waived. It’s actually something we’re all going after.

I think it depends on the leadership. There is some that are sympathetic and there are some who dont give a sh!t what is going with you because work is their priority and you are screwing up their day due to your abscense. Should you feel guilty!? Well it depends on you. When I call out, I am doing it for me and my well being. If the leader that picked up my call is mad about it, I don’t feel bad. I am calling out because I need it for me. It is what it is. When a TM calls out my department, I am not going to be super mad about it. I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they needed to call out just like when I have to call out. Yes, it’s more work but I am not going to make a call out make me misreable.
But yeah it really depends on the person. If you are calling out for a good reason, don’t feel bad about it. But of course you have to know the consequences for every action you take. If you do it too many times and consecutively, leadership can coach you on it.

I think it depends on the leadership. There is some that are sympathetic and there are some who dont give a sh!t what is going with you because work is their priority and you are screwing up their day due to your abscense. Should you feel guilty!? Well it depends on you. When I call out, I am doing it for me and my well being. If the leader that picked up my call is mad about it, I don’t feel bad. I am calling out because I need it for me. It is what it is. When a TM calls out my department, I am not going to be super mad about it. I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they needed to call out just like when I have to call out. Yes, it’s more work but I am not going to make a call out make me misreable.
But yeah it really depends on the person. If you are calling out for a good reason, don’t feel bad about it. But of course you have to know the consequences for every action you take. If you do it too many times and consecutively, leadership can coach you on it.
It seemed he was trying to. Like I said, A lot of stores are just so pro-tyrant and pro-micromanagement and etc and we live in a shit world where these people could care less about their employees. That’s why job loyalty isn’t much of a thing unless people get pampered or are favorited and that’s the truth. I think these people like me only for the work I put in, not me personally.

Life does not depend on Target people. If you need to miss, oh well, miss. You’d be replaced in half a second if they wanted to
Exactly, I have a feeling some of these people be worshiping the Target Gods, Corporate and Bullseye too much that they forget life isn’t all just work.

I've been dealing with trying to get quarantine pay due to a roommate testing positive and was told the same thing today by my HR. Even after I called Leave and Disability to explain and was told that the store should submit for my paid leave. (That rep tried to call the store's HR while on the phone with me, but of course, HR didn't pick up).

Calling out every once in a while isn’t a big deal. Most leadership won’t go crazy over that. It be the people that make it a habit.

Back