Archived Can a store keep an employee from transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cashier baby

Hi everyone,

So my store had to be remodeled in September and it was closed until the beginning of December. Everyone who was employed at my store had to switch to another location that was close to them for the time being. Once my store reopened, many people either didn't come back or they asked to be transferred to another store, which is what I want to do. I heard that they wanted everyone to stay for 2 weeks and then they could return. Well its been well over a month since I've been at my store and I haven't been transferred. Several people have already been transferred, but it seems like they don't want me to leave. I am in the system as a cashier and thats what I'm scheduled 99% of the time, I'm sure they could EASILY find someone to replace me. I explained to them that the store that I want to transfer to is much closer to my house than my current store. Apparently they made changes right away to everyone else who asked to transfer, but every time I've asked, my HR always says, oh well we'll TRY or something really vague. And she always has to make a snarky comment on the hours at the other store, "just letting you know that the average hours there are like 17" "they make a few million dollars less than us" etc. I really don't appreciate the delay on my transfer and the management at my store is terrible and I'm ready to leave and switch to the other store. Ive spoken to the managers at the other store a few times and they've all been on board on me coming back. All I want to ask is: can a store rightfully force an employee to stay by not letting them transfer? I understand that I need to have approval from both stores, but I'd like to transfer MAINLY to save the travel and gas since the store id like to transfer to is walking distance to my house. Lastly, id just like to mention again that I'm in the system as a cashier, meaning I think of myself as easily replaceable, since my store had to have a couple of job fairs to meet the quota of employees. I AM trained in hardlines, guest services, beauty, softlines and cashiering, but my store is VERY VERY stubborn when it comes to cross training so the majority of my higher ups aren't even aware of my capability to help out in different departments. The few people that I know have already transferred have been from softlines and a cart attendant (who we are already low on) so I have no idea why they aren't being cooperative with me being transferred. Please let me know if a store can have the right to keep an employee at their store and thank you! Forgot to mention this but Ive been with target since November 2016 so I'm a seasonal employee or anything. I haven't been into any major complications, Im always at work on time, I really don't see why they seem to be keeping me from leaving.

Bumping this bc I really need help lol

But I mean, what if I was moving and had to transfer to a store in a different state? Are they still allowed to act like this? I would understand if I asked to transfer simply because I have more friends in another store or something, but I want to transfer because the commute to my current store isn't convenient. I think that if an employee requests a transfer for a reason like mine, they should give them the approval. I mean, I'm literally only a cashier I'm not very valuable to Target, in the business perspective. I don't think thats right at all. And honestly I don't even think having to give a reason is necessary, I should just be able to say that I simply would like to transfer.

If you are moving, they should accommodate but a position has to be open at the store you are looking into.

If you have any documented performance issues, transfers are not allowed.

I would recommend researching the career page for open positions. This helped me when I transferred states. It accelerated the transfer process because it gives HR a location that they can communicate with.

They don't have to let you.

This right here. Transferring is to your original stores discretion. There are lots of reasons to deny a transfer.

Now if it was strictly location I am sure it would be approved but I can't say how many times people try to transfer because they don't like their supervisor, have bad attendance etc. We try not to send other stores our problems.

You can also quit and reapply.

Without knowing the whole story it's hard to say why your store is reluctant.

Ive spoken to not only the HR at the other store but also a few of the GSA/GSTLs and all have confirmed that they would like me back. What should I do if my store doesn't want to let me leave? As in, what are my other options, if any? I'm unhappy at my store, many many employees and guests included say that the management there is just awful. When my store was remodeled I was excited because I would be working at a location that was close to my house. On top of all of that, the management there ended up being wonderful, they actually listen to employees and try their best to accommodate to the needs of the employees.

Im not a bad employee, everyone knows me as the one who likes to try different departments, the one who's always super nice and friendly. I have great attendance and decent relationships with most of my coworkers. I tried not to bring this up but honestly I think it's because my stores HR does NOT like me at all for some reason. She's never been nice to me at all, if I have to come into her office for a question, she doesn't even have me sit down, I always end up speaking to her from the entrance of her office. She's just not friendly to me and I know its not just her personality because I've seen her be nice to other cashiers and other employees as well. I asked the HR about transferring the first day the store reopened (just to give her an early heads up, NOT to be impatient and pushy) and then I asked her again like last week, but I walked in and all of the ETLs and STLs were in her office just chatting so I felt very intimidated being around so many important people so I just asked very casually, which I think is my problem. Im not sounding too confident in my wish to be transferred. I plan on asking her again but I want to try to be more stern in my request. And I cannot afford to quit, so that's not an option.

If your current store has lost a lot of TMs to transfer they may be trying to stem the tide by denying some transfers.
You may not be able to afford to quit but it may be your only option.
Grab a voluntary term form in plain sight of your HR, fill it out & keep it in your pocket.
Ask once more WHEN they'll see to your transfer; if the answer is still vague give them the vol term & let them know you're putting in your two weeks.
Let the other store know that they refused to release you & may mark you as un-rehireable as a result.
If you've established some rapport with the other store's HR & there are TMs there who will vouch for you, they should be able to see past the hire status.
Do NOT let it be known what you think of your current leadership (being awful) or your reason for transfer will be tainted.

Ive spoken to not only the HR at the other store but also a few of the GSA/GSTLs and all have confirmed that they would like me back. What should I do if my store doesn't want to let me leave? As in, what are my other options, if any? I'm unhappy at my store, many many employees and guests included say that the management there is just awful. When my store was remodeled I was excited because I would be working at a location that was close to my house. On top of all of that, the management there ended up being wonderful, they actually listen to employees and try their best to accommodate to the needs of the employees.

Im not a bad employee, everyone knows me as the one who likes to try different departments, the one who's always super nice and friendly. I have great attendance and decent relationships with most of my coworkers. I tried not to bring this up but honestly I think it's because my stores HR does NOT like me at all for some reason. She's never been nice to me at all, if I have to come into her office for a question, she doesn't even have me sit down, I always end up speaking to her from the entrance of her office. She's just not friendly to me and I know its not just her personality because I've seen her be nice to other cashiers and other employees as well. I asked the HR about transferring the first day the store reopened (just to give her an early heads up, NOT to be impatient and pushy) and then I asked her again like last week, but I walked in and all of the ETLs and STLs were in her office just chatting so I felt very intimidated being around so many important people so I just asked very casually, which I think is my problem. Im not sounding too confident in my wish to be transferred. I plan on asking her again but I want to try to be more stern in my request. And I cannot afford to quit, so that's not an option.

Quit and reapply.

Yeah don't worry, I've never spoken outloud how I feel about my current store, its simply just thoughts in my head lol. But the reason why I want to transfer is the location. When I was hired at my store I was reluctant because I just never liked to even shop there, even before I ever thought of working there. So, don't worry, I'm not transferring because of leadership. Yeah its not the best but I'm still grateful to have a job. And once again, I cannot quit, I can't afford it.

I haven't mentioned to the other store about my difficulty transferring, all I've said to them was that I'm interested in returning and if they have any spots for me available and they've all been on board.

Yeah don't worry, I've never spoken outloud how I feel about my current store, its simply just thoughts in my head lol. But the reason why I want to transfer is the location. When I was hired at my store I was reluctant because I just never liked to even shop there, even before I ever thought of working there. So, don't worry, I'm not transferring because of leadership. Yeah its not the best but I'm still grateful to have a job. And once again, I cannot quit, I can't afford it.

I haven't mentioned to the other store about my difficulty transferring, all I've said to them was that I'm interested in returning and if they have any spots for me available and they've all been on board.

If you're at minimum wage, it's not like your job isn' replaceable. Look around. Find a backup job just in case. If not, well, then tough luck. You were fine working at this location before, so keep doing what you were doing? There's not some magic mantra you can say that will change anything...yet somehow this thread will still go for several hundred pages.

Not sure if every Target is the same, but I make 11$ an hour here where a normal job starts off with 8.50-9$ (minimum wage in my state is 8.10). I value and depend on this job. And I wouldn't say I was "fine", but I didn't want to cashier anymore, so I constantly asked my HR for cross training in ANY department, it didn't matter to me. They never ever gave me ONE shift, not one. Just last week I had the TL for backroom offer me some backroom shifts due to a TM taking some time off. I accepted of course and he scheduled me on a couple of days when I was OFF. I'm an hour and a half into my shift and I'm doing back stock and the LOD comes around and says that I need to be on the registers because I was marked as a No Call No Show. (??????) The STL literally switched my shift from backroom to cashier behind the back of the TL that offered me the shift and they ended up being behind in backroom because of that. It ended up being so dead during my shifts that I ended up just zoning softlines smh.

Anyways, at the other store, they eagerly let me train in other departments, the LOD even gave me a couple of 40 hour weeks in softlines even though I didn't have any training. I just simply told him I was eager to cross train. After seeing how pleasant the other store is, it made me realize how opposite my store is. Again, I'll settle to stay at my store, but the location is the true reason why I want to transfer. I understand if they just don't want me to go, but I just don't see how that's right. Like at all.

Quiting a re applying is dumb right now. Retail is trying to trim fat, I cant imagine any targets that are still hiring

Quiting a re applying is dumb right now. Retail is trying to trim fat, I cant imagine any targets that are still hiring

Exactly. Even if I could afford to quit, I enjoy working at target in general. I don't want to throw away that opportunity. I think I'll just ask my HR again but this time with more confidence and assurance.

Before I close this post, does anyone have any tips on getting my point across about transferring sternly without coming off as pushy? I feel very intimidated when I have to talk to my higher ups because they're so important and powerful so I tend to sound quiet and I make my conversations minimal. Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

I would tell them you are moving and no longer make it to the store.

Yeah plus a lot of people know that my family of 4 only have one car so having a closer location eases a lot of the mileage.

Most likely the reason is because too many people have transferred and the store doesn't have enough team members to fully staff the store (especially if you are getting 34+ hours as a cashier now). The only potential way would be to reach out to the ETL/SR HR at the store you want to go to and talk to them. If their ETL-GE really liked you then you could get some leverage from them as well as they would know their staffing levels and if it was possible to fit you in there. Keep in mind though that going behind your HR's back could lead to "potential" backlash. Even though its not right, its something that could happen. No one likes it when you go behind their back about things even though you tried to go through them first.

Most likely the reason is because too many people have transferred and the store doesn't have enough team members to fully staff the store (especially if you are getting 34+ hours as a cashier now). The only potential way would be to reach out to the ETL/SR HR at the store you want to go to and talk to them. If their ETL-GE really liked you then you could get some leverage from them as well as they would know their staffing levels and if it was possible to fit you in there. Keep in mind though that going behind your HR's back could lead to "potential" backlash. Even though its not right, its something that could happen. No one likes it when you go behind their back about things even though you tried to go through them first.

Yeah thats a good point. I wouldn't want to give my HR a reason to hate me lol. And I'm not sure how many people have transferred, I never thought about that. and LOL I honestly have never seen anyone at my store get 34 hours as cashier, even during the holidays. And my store is considered the busiest. Cashiers typically get like 20-29 hours here. Next week I only have 15.

I'll try to ask my HR again and also talk to my STL maybe. but then again I don't wanna create drama.

Your thread reeks of drama.

Say you are willing to contact the other store and do the heavy lifting you just need their blessing. Problem solved

No offense but all you're doing is putting down your current store. We get it, it sucks

Targets protocol is you need your etl hrs support to transfer, stop being dramatic and ask for it.

Last edited:
Not sure if Target is EEO/AA...but if they are any application for an open position would be required by law to screen and be considered, unless you didn’t met the qualifications and were screened out. You can do some out reach to the store you are wanting to go to, to my knowledge any ETL-HR can do a universal transfer, moving you from “A” to “B”. Although I am not saying go around the back of your current stores leadership you can use alternative methods to leave the store. You just need to back your case up with factual information and not fluff. Those of whom have said it is dependent on your current stores HR and STL’s blessing to transfer are correct, but only to an extent. But in this situation it doesn’t sound like you can use anything to build a case to petition their decision if they denied your request.

But you always have the option of working where you want, a good company would not allow managers to deny somebody a transfer out of spite. This is highly unethical and could potentially bring a harassment lawsuit upon the company. Talk to corporate HR if you have other inquires they may be of more assistance.

Not sure if Target is EEO/AA...

Target is an equal opportunity employer but the OP is already employed by target so that doesn't apply in this situation.

I think the OP will be allowed to transfer they just need to be a little more forceful about their need to transfer. Their story doesn't really add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back