Archived Can a store keep an employee from transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quiting a re applying is dumb right now. Retail is trying to trim fat, I cant imagine any targets that are still hiring

Mine is hiring for a Frozen Dairy position and like one backroom position and a few misc positions, all regular, it's pretty thin, though.

To OP: I think in order to get your point across about transferring is to get it across, certainly you don't want to be stern or pushy but if you sincerely don't like your store's environment you need to talk to someone about it and ask about transferring. More than likely, if your store does not want to transfer you, they will probably push you to quit or try to performance you out.

Honestly, I'd look into other job opportunities, I get Target is a great place to work and it really is but there's just some things you can't control in the event your superiors just do not want you to transfer out of spite.

Not sure if every Target is the same, but I make 11$ an hour here where a normal job starts off with 8.50-9$ (minimum wage in my state is 8.10). I value and depend on this job. And I wouldn't say I was "fine", but I didn't want to cashier anymore, so I constantly asked my HR for cross training in ANY department, it didn't matter to me. They never ever gave me ONE shift, not one. Just last week I had the TL for backroom offer me some backroom shifts due to a TM taking some time off. I accepted of course and he scheduled me on a couple of days when I was OFF. I'm an hour and a half into my shift and I'm doing back stock and the LOD comes around and says that I need to be on the registers because I was marked as a No Call No Show. (??????) The STL literally switched my shift from backroom to cashier behind the back of the TL that offered me the shift and they ended up being behind in backroom because of that. It ended up being so dead during my shifts that I ended up just zoning softlines smh.

Anyways, at the other store, they eagerly let me train in other departments, the LOD even gave me a couple of 40 hour weeks in softlines even though I didn't have any training. I just simply told him I was eager to cross train. After seeing how pleasant the other store is, it made me realize how opposite my store is. Again, I'll settle to stay at my store, but the location is the true reason why I want to transfer. I understand if they just don't want me to go, but I just don't see how that's right. Like at all.

I know the feeling all too well, however I think you're talking to the wrong people. HR can help you, but I honestly never got to cross-train out of cashier for almost a year and a half until I talked to Frozen Dairy TL and ETL-Food and Sr. ETL-Food. I had got permission from my GSTL to switch, but nothing ever seemed to take hold. I'd be told I'd get FDC shifts starting whenever but get cashier shifts the whole week. What your STL did is somewhat wrong, but not prohibited. What is also strange is being marked NCNS for a shift you didn't originally have, but marked NCNS for a backroom shift you showed up for. Did you check in with your LOD when you clocked in or did you just head straight back to the stockrooms assuming everything was fine?

Nonetheless, you showed up to work a backroom shift, but got forced into cashiering, which fucking sucks. I have a shift cashiering tomorrow and I am not ready for it, I mean I am, but mentally I just don't want to spend 5 hours dealing with no backups and no cashiers being on. I looked at my Branch and it seems like there's only 4-5 of us from 1pm-6pm, with the morning crew people getting off around 2pm. It's gonna suck because it's gonna be so busy lol. Talking to people ain't no thang I tried to be a car salesman for a while in October but just the "busy" aspect of it.

Target is an equal opportunity employer but the OP is already employed by target so that doesn't apply in this situation.

I think the OP will be allowed to transfer they just need to be a little more forceful about their need to transfer. Their story doesn't really add up.

The EEO would still apply. All applications fall under EEO standards whether or not it is internal or external. They must be considered and screened. Unless the company wants to be fined :)

But I do agree there is a lot of holes in the story.

The EEO would still apply. All applications fall under EEO standards whether or not it is internal or external. They must be considered and screened. Unless the company wants to be fined :)

But I do agree there is a lot of holes in the story.

The problem is when you file an internal application there is a disclaimer that your application has to be approved by your original HR.

Companies do this to protect themselves from team members just jumping stores when they wear out their welcome elsewhere.

The problem is when you file an internal application there is a disclaimer that your application has to be approved by your original HR.

Companies do this to protect themselves from team members just jumping stores when they wear out their welcome elsewhere.

I haven’t been with Target for a while but from an outside perspective that does seem reasonable. But there still would need to be a valid reason as to why the HR denies the application. Otherwise it still would violate EEO. As long as everything and everyone is being ethical and complaint.

Hi everyone,

So my store had to be remodeled in September and it was closed until the beginning of December. Everyone who was employed at my store had to switch to another location that was close to them for the time being. Once my store reopened, many people either didn't come back or they asked to be transferred to another store, which is what I want to do. I heard that they wanted everyone to stay for 2 weeks and then they could return. Well its been well over a month since I've been at my store and I haven't been transferred. Several people have already been transferred, but it seems like they don't want me to leave. I am in the system as a cashier and thats what I'm scheduled 99% of the time, I'm sure they could EASILY find someone to replace me. I explained to them that the store that I want to transfer to is much closer to my house than my current store. Apparently they made changes right away to everyone else who asked to transfer, but every time I've asked, my HR always says, oh well we'll TRY or something really vague. And she always has to make a snarky comment on the hours at the other store, "just letting you know that the average hours there are like 17" "they make a few million dollars less than us" etc. I really don't appreciate the delay on my transfer and the management at my store is terrible and I'm ready to leave and switch to the other store. Ive spoken to the managers at the other store a few times and they've all been on board on me coming back. All I want to ask is: can a store rightfully force an employee to stay by not letting them transfer? I understand that I need to have approval from both stores, but I'd like to transfer MAINLY to save the travel and gas since the store id like to transfer to is walking distance to my house. Lastly, id just like to mention again that I'm in the system as a cashier, meaning I think of myself as easily replaceable, since my store had to have a couple of job fairs to meet the quota of employees. I AM trained in hardlines, guest services, beauty, softlines and cashiering, but my store is VERY VERY stubborn when it comes to cross training so the majority of my higher ups aren't even aware of my capability to help out in different departments. The few people that I know have already transferred have been from softlines and a cart attendant (who we are already low on) so I have no idea why they aren't being cooperative with me being transferred. Please let me know if a store can have the right to keep an employee at their store and thank you! Forgot to mention this but Ive been with target since November 2016 so I'm a seasonal employee or anything. I haven't been into any major complications, Im always at work on time, I really don't see why they seem to be keeping me from leaving.

THEY CLOSE STORES FOR REMODEL?

the fuck is this

my store is staying open for the fourth months
ugh

the fuck is this

ugh

My store was closed for remodel when they went to SuperTarget. I wasn't working there then, I remember it because it was when we moved here, and not having the local Target open while moving suuuuucked.

the fuck is this

ugh
I think they only did it for some of the flood-damaged stores in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back