Can I turn down a return from a guest if the item is opened and used significantly even if they have the receipt?

The most expensive defects are the returns that come from guests who regularly buy high priced items , use them for a month and return them. Why is this allowed?

Yes, you can say no. Apple products have a 15 day return policy.
Form another thread,
Target's Return Policy
Most unopened items sold by Target in new condition and returned within 90 days will receive a refund or exchange. Some items sold by Target have a modified return policy noted on the receipt, packing slip, Target policy board (refund exceptions), Target.com or in the item description. Items that are opened or damaged or do not have a receipt may be denied a refund or exchange.

You can but….

Every few months or so I get a guest returning a vacuum that is very obviously used. I suspect they are a house cleaner and basically keep replacing the vacuums once they loose effective cleaning power. They have a return/purchase receipt and are within the return time window. I could say no but my assumption that they are using Target as a rental service doesn’t matter. It’s not my $$ and really not my concern so I process it. If POS flags it, then I would proceed differently.

Back in the day...
my stores had a grid and procedures for denying returns

General items
As long as the guest states a reasonable explanation, no noticeable use or high demand for repackaging. - Allow
If it was broken, defect it out.
Rugs/bedding/towels - Anything with stains or use - Deny

Anything consumable my stores took back

Clothes -
If they have stains or smell like smoke - Deny
If the there was no use, tear or unravel - Allow

Casaluna is a Target owned brand and therefore has a 1 year 100% satisfaction guarantee and can be returned within a year for basically any reason
Saw that often enough with the Cat and Jack school uniforms. "Gee, no receipt and you paid cash? Sure we'll exchange it for you...in the next size up." 🤦
all references to th warranty explicitly state a receipt is required. Obviously try to make it right but we technically don’t have to without the receipt

all references to th warranty explicitly state a receipt is required. Obviously try to make it right but we technically don’t have to without the receipt
Nope. My store would enter the dpci # and if we still carried it, Karen got new pants for little Johnny for the next school year.

Frustrating! Stuff like that made we want to work SCO, or even on a lane with all of the monotony that that entailed.

Nope. My store would enter the dpci # and if we still carried it, Karen got new pants for little Johnny for the next school year.

Frustrating! Stuff like that made we want to work SCO, or even on a lane with all of the monotony that that entailed.
Customers abused that policy right and left at the first retailer that I worked for. Thankfully the company finally changed the policy so that they could only exchange for the same size.

Guest service question:
Guest buys an item that was 5.00 on the shelf label but rang 6.00 at the register
guest brings receipt to guest service to get price adjusted
How do you handle this and if you give adjustment how do you process it ?

I ask because I saw a Tm return the item and change the return price to 1.00 -I’m questioning if that was best practice and if the item has actually been returned already or can the guest STILL use the same purchase receipt to return it (for a credit of the remaining 5.00 - and at THAT return can they complain that the receipt clearly shows they paid 6.00 - why are they only getting a 5.00 credit ?)

Guest service question:
Guest buys an item that was 5.00 on the shelf label but rang 6.00 at the register

I ask because I saw a Tm return the item and change the return price to 1.00 -I’m questioning if that was best practice and if the item has actually been returned already or can the guest STILL use the same purchase receipt to return it (for a credit of the remaining 5.00 - and at THAT return can they complain that the receipt clearly shows they paid 6.00 - why are they only getting a 5.00 credit ?)
No that is a absolutely the wrong way as they can’t return it now.
Use fix a mistake> wrong price to fix it. Or return it fully and rebuy at correct price

Guest service question:

If you’re in Michigan there’s a bounty where you get the difference plus five times the difference up to five dollars.

Those were the 2 ways i was taught also - I posed the question to the TL and was told “the guest WILL still be able to return the item” - I didn’t think she was correct.
You were taught right. Your leader is wrong. Ask them if you can give them some feedback and explain why the process they did was wrong. If you tried the return on that receipt the item will say "already returned" ask them why "fix a mistake" is there.

If they don't like the feedback tell your ETL

Back