Archived Can the ETL really do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Smith

Target Hermit
I just want to first put it out there, this thread will be biased, as it will all from my point of view. I also want to know where it went wrong.
Now, I've been working in this store for one and a half year so I'm rather familiar with how things go. The one thing about our store is that it is such a big store with like 12 departments that it is impossible to planogram the whole store. So I was closing on a weekend and it gets really crazy as it gets really busy.
Now I look at the breakout and it specifically says that I was in eletronics (as I am under eletronics). And if you are in eletronics the only time gauging part of this job is the fact that you bump into customers who want a whole encyclopidia about an item.
So it's 10 pm and I still have like 1 full cart of electronic reshop. Then one of the GSTL (or perhaps it was a backroom ETL who suggested it) told me that I still have to zone mini-seasonal. I want you to keep 4 things in mind: that there is a seperate employee in charge of the whole seasonal department; there was 3 people working in toys; I am under a 5 hour time constaint; and that I have never zoned mini-seasonal, as the items changes every season and holiday.
At first I was baffled, but then I thought to myself, fine no problem, I'm confident I could do it. Of course, I guess you can say that it was my fault for the fact that I didn't address it. But I wasn't really pissed because I still had time. The thing that pissed me off was that not only was it irresponsible to tell me at the last moment, but it wasn't written in the breakout nor was it a part of my job description. It wasn't even in form of a request, it was "oh you have to do this".
This wasn't the worst part, after I finished zoning mini-seasonal. I went back to finishing the remaining of the reshop. Then I was walkie-d by the ETL "you're going to zone mini-seasonal right?". Then I told her, "mini-seasonal is complete, I'm doing my reshop." Then she told me with an attitude "Well mini-seasonal is not even done. You haven't even zoned it." I was really angry at that point, but I didn't snap. Not to mention, she doesn't and hasn't worked on the sales floor, so naturally she doesn't understand the difference between planogramming and zoning. Out of all the time that I've been working in target, I've never received such a ridiculous commentary. I knew how to pull the strings and every trick in the book, I knew how to make a zone look good. So I was very confident that it was definitely zoned. I had a good basis to think that she was bringing in her personal problem into this, because if you did not zone something properly you clarify where it's messy, you don't go off telling the person that it's not zoned with an attitude. So I continued to do reshop.
The problem doesnt even end there. After I finished my reshop, I had to check guess service as the check-lanes always manage to bring out 5 full carts. So when I came back, the ETL along with her GSTL out of the blue pointed out at like 11:15 pm that there was 2 full carts of eletroncis that I still had to do. I would lie if I said that the problem wasn't even the fact that I still had reshop. However what pissed me off was the fact that they left it in the middle of toy reshop which had like 10 carts, but they NEVER TOLD ME that they left any carts.
Knowing the location by heart and how to properly sort, everything was knocked out. Then out of consideration of her authority, I went and checked mini-seasonal I saw that everything was nice and clean. To make sure I wasn't crazy I asked other veteran employees if it looked good, they said it was pretty good. For someone who hasn't zoned seasonal once I think I did a pretty good job; and if they didn't like it, they should have asked someone who has actually zoned seasonal and has had more time.
Now, the question at hand is whether I file a complain or just suck it up? I understand that there should be other departments who are also getting this crapy treatment, but I still feel extremly pissed. Any feedback would be appreciated, whether it's positive or not.

You haven't mentioned how long the ETL in question has been with Spot.
Are we talking about an old pro or a new, wet behind the ears, straight out of college, kid who doesn't know their ass from their elbow.

If it's the first you might want to take that into consideration, if it's the second then don't worry too much unless they are a favorite of the STL.

Last edited:
If you look at the job descriptions they are very broad for a reason. Target is expecting you to step up to the plate as they trim all the payroll they can to make it look good as sales aren't looking so hot so the company gotta make themselves look good some how. Expenses down! Revenue stays the same. Profits!!!!

Welcome to Target where you hire management out of college where they look good but have never worked a day in their life. Five of them sit in the office while three people run a 62+million dollar store. All the call boxes, all the carry outs all the reshop and zone and are the back up cashiers since having two cashiers on a Saturday afternoon is more than enough. It's no excuse you are loading a couch in a car you should have gotten that call box I set off to test you.. I was waiting...

This was my Saturday.. And yes they lie like mother fuckers when they hire you..

You might want to change your user name, unless you like being fired.

Last edited:
Welcome to Target where you hire management out of college where they look good but have never worked a day in their life. Five of them sit in the office while three people run a 62+million dollar store. All the call boxes, all the carry outs all the reshop and zone and are the back up cashiers since having two cashiers on a Saturday afternoon is more than enough. It's no excuse you are loading a couch in a car you should have gotten that call box I set off to test you.. I was waiting...

This was my Saturday.. And yes they lie like mother fuckers when they hire you..

You might want to change your user name, unless you like being fired.
Hey our stores are twins, except mine has already done 70 mill already this year.

Hey our stores are twins, except mine has already done 70 mill already this year.

That is a number I heard a couple years ago when they threatened to take our overnight process that was what he have to make to keep it. So I know we do better than that. But its a number I can back up cause we are still overnight so we make at least that a year.

The LoD telling you to go zone a separate area outside of your job description? Yeah.
She gave you an attitude? Well that isn't very professional.

You do realize that the LOD calls the shots. As long as they are not asking you to do something unethical, illegal, or beyond your physical capabilities due to a disability they can tell you do to anything. If they want you to bring carts of the lot you do it, if they want you to backstock freezer/cooler you do it. At the end of the day the LOD is the one responsible for what gets done during a shift, not you. If they move you from your assigned workcenter to somewhere else and your original job doesn't get done it's on them.

You do realize that the LOD calls the shots. As long as they are not asking you to do something unethical, illegal, or beyond your physical capabilities due to a disability they can tell you do to anything. If they want you to bring carts of the lot you do it, if they want you to backstock freezer/cooler you do it. At the end of the day the LOD is the one responsible for what gets done during a shift, not you. If they move you from your assigned workcenter to somewhere else and your original job doesn't get done it's on them.

You are right. But if your work center tasks aren't done, your TL is going to chew you out, not the LOD (esp if they're an ETL)

ETLs can do whatever they want ... until the STL finds out. or a call to the hotline is made. then watch how fast they turn around!

Not if you say the magic words: "I did what the LOD told me to do."
Yes, along with your previous comment, you are correct. It is totally valid to imply that you did the best of your abilities.
But put to mind that the ETLs does not have any idea of how difficult the job really is, because another employee might be able to pull it off or the ETL never zoned it themselves. So if you decide to do pull the "I did what I could." Their impression of you will gradually recede and they might consider using another one of their disposable workers. Why would they put up with the guy who cant do it when we have they guy who can. You can only pray you end up with hours or an easier zone. They only want search for those who can make the impossible possible.
This arguement does contradict my initial arguement, where I should shut up and deal with it then if I wanted hours. However, why work harder if I can work smarter? If there is a better alternative I would be dumb not to take it.

When I worked electronics, I had to help cover seasonal and sporting goods, so I think you had it fine. Just suck it up. Only complain if it happens constantly

Yep pretty much. One night we didn't get a zone AT ALL because the LOD had us push tubs all night and even though the sales floor team lead was completely livid, it was the LOD that got in trouble, not us

Not if you say the magic words: "I did what the LOD told me to do."

One of my favorite "Gotcha" moments was when I got to use this line with our STL

A few years ago when CAFs were much larger than they are now, random ETL enters the backroom.
Him: Hey I just dropped some POG batches in the gun that I need pulled.
Me: /checks time, 11:58 AM. Sure thing. As soon as as the 12s are done, we'll knock them out.
Him: I need them pulled now.
Me: CAF pulls are the priority back here since they are on a time limit and the 12s are the largest each day. If I pull anyone off of them, they will roll into the 1s.
Him: I'm the LOD, I decide the priority.
Me: Sure thing boss. I will personally pull your batches and let you know when they are ready.

I should note, that due to turnover I was the only one there with more than 6 months experience in the backroom and by FAR the fastest at pulls. There were 3 of us there and the 12s had an estimated 4 hour pull time. Doable with 3 good pullers, but not with 2. Fast forward to 12:40, I check the gun and 3/4 of the pulls are still in there. STL walks by as I'm taking a flat to the line.

Him: Hey backroom81, how's it going back here.
Me: Not too well, the 12s are probably going to roll.
Him: Why is that.
Me: Because I'm pulling POGs instead of CAFs per the instructions of the LOD and the CAFs are too big for the other guys to handle.
Him: The CAFs take priority, you know that.
Me: I mentioned that sir, he said that HE'S the LOD and HE decides the priority.

His face goes blank and he quietly tells me to get on the CAFs. He then called every TL and ETL in the building to the backroom to help pull the CAFs and took the LOD into the conference room. I wish I could have watched.

Also I don't know how it is at other stores but usually at my store everyone has to help zone seasonal at the end of the night.

Sales floor hours (zoners) are completely determined by store *sales, so everyone's zone process is gonna be a little different. Electronics zones toys, sporting goods, automotive, seasonal, mini seasonal, luggage, entertainment, and electronics at my store. It's rough. And on the contrary, I've worked in stores where there is a zoner for each block.

*edit

Last edited:
One of my favorite "Gotcha" moments was when I got to use this line with our STL

A few years ago when CAFs were much larger than they are now, random ETL enters the backroom.
Him: Hey I just dropped some POG batches in the gun that I need pulled.
Me: /checks time, 11:58 AM. Sure thing. As soon as as the 12s are done, we'll knock them out.
Him: I need them pulled now.
Me: CAF pulls are the priority back here since they are on a time limit and the 12s are the largest each day. If I pull anyone off of them, they will roll into the 1s.
Him: I'm the LOD, I decide the priority.
Me: Sure thing boss. I will personally pull your batches and let you know when they are ready.

I should note, that due to turnover I was the only one there with more than 6 months experience in the backroom and by FAR the fastest at pulls. There were 3 of us there and the 12s had an estimated 4 hour pull time. Doable with 3 good pullers, but not with 2. Fast forward to 12:40, I check the gun and 3/4 of the pulls are still in there. STL walks by as I'm taking a flat to the line.

Him: Hey backroom81, how's it going back here.
Me: Not too well, the 12s are probably going to roll.
Him: Why is that.
Me: Because I'm pulling POGs instead of CAFs per the instructions of the LOD and the CAFs are too big for the other guys to handle.
Him: The CAFs take priority, you know that.
Me: I mentioned that sir, he said that HE'S the LOD and HE decides the priority.

His face goes blank and he quietly tells me to get on the CAFs. He then called every TL and ETL in the building to the backroom to help pull the CAFs and took the LOD into the conference room. I wish I could have watched.

Man, if I was you I would have said it in the walkie.

Me: (@1230pm) LOD? Could you please send someone to help me pull the CAFs since I haven't started them yet because you told me pull your batches. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back