Archived Can they do this? Help..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last week during a huddle a Sr. TL at my store informed us that the new "rule" is that if a team member submits 3 or more punch corrections per month it will result in a coaching. This is especially unfair due to the fact that myself, along with many others, start our shifts before the store even opens. I generally arrive to work around 6:55am (shift starts at 7) and ring the doorbell awaiting an LOD to come unlock the front door. But sometimes, more often than not, it can take one of them up to 10 minutes to actually unlock it. So of course I submit several punch corrections so I wont appear to be "late." I also make sure to include down in the comment box that I was waiting at the door for the LOD to unlock it. I've always had to do this and actually don't mind doing so, I understand how hectic it gets in the morning and opening the front door isn't exactly an LOD's top priority. But due to this new "rule" apparently I will be coached if I submit more than 3 of these punch corrections per month. But I don't see it being fair that they can do such a thing. I even asked the Sr. TL if this was a new company-wide rule and he said "No, it's a new store rule because people are doing too many punch corrections and it's taking up too much of HR's time." Well it's basically a lose-lose situation for me; Either be coached for submitting too many punch corrections, or be coached for being "late" too many times..both of which being because of the LOD taking forever to open the door. So what is everyone's thoughts on this?

I would definitely recommend discussing this with other colleagues that share your point of view, then as a group bring it up during huddle where as a group you can share your concern about such a policy. The other options you have would be to take it up with other members of management, though I assume if they have shared this with you at huddles, it's probably been discussed and agreed upon among the managers. You could stay anonymous by calling the ER line or using the LetUsKnowProgram I guess.
So last week during a huddle a Sr. TL at my store informed us that the new "rule" is that if a team member submits 3 or more punch corrections per month it will result in a coaching. This is especially unfair due to the fact that myself, along with many others, start our shifts before the store even opens. I generally arrive to work around 6:55am (shift starts at 7) and ring the doorbell awaiting an LOD to come unlock the front door. But sometimes, more often than not, it can take one of them up to 10 minutes to actually unlock it. So of course I submit several punch corrections so I wont appear to be "late." I also make sure to include down in the comment box that I was waiting at the door for the LOD to unlock it. I've always had to do this and actually don't mind doing so, I understand how hectic it gets in the morning and opening the front door isn't exactly an LOD's top priority. But due to this new "rule" apparently I will be coached if I submit more than 3 of these punch corrections per month. But I don't see it being fair that they can do such a thing. I even asked the Sr. TL if this was a new company-wide rule and he said "No, it's a new store rule because people are doing too many punch corrections and it's taking up too much of HR's time." Well it's basically a lose-lose situation for me; Either be coached for submitting too many punch corrections, or be coached for being "late" too many times..both of which being because of the LOD taking forever to open the door. So what is everyone's thoughts on this?

Just speak to an LOD about it tomorrow behind closed doors. I would bet that the Senior that said that was pointing it at specific people who are always incorrectly punching, not people waiting on LODs to come in. Also, at the least, your LODs should be unlocking the front doors at 8 AM and no later. So even if you went through the guest doors you should get in, in time to punch at the clock by 8:02 or so. You have six minutes to punch once your shift starts. You would only flag for being "late" if you punch at 8:07 when you start at 8.

Without know anyone in your store or the situation that caused this to happen I am 99% sure he is not talking about punch corrections that are justified, such as waiting at the door for the LOD to let you in or the time clock being down. They are talking about the same people who forget to clock in and out on a regular basis. They forget to clock in from lunch, they forget to clock out to go home, they forget to clock for this, they forget to clock for that, etc. etc.

Then you have until 7:06 to punch in. Again, I highly doubt he was pointing that comment toward you. At times you must speak to an entire group because it will be quicker at a huddle to mention it when multiple people who are offenders are there, than to waste everyones time to sit each of them down behind closed doors at the beginning of a shift to explain it to them.

We were always told to just punch in late and submit punch corrections later so that HR could readjust the time you were waiting. Eventually specific ETLs who were always taking their sweet time started coming to the door faster when a plethora of corrections came for people who waited for more than 10 minutes outside.

"No, it's a new store rule because people are doing too many punch corrections and it's taking up too much of HR's time."

I would talk to HR and let them know the reason why they have to do so many punch corrections for you. Like nib suggested, talk to other TMs who are in the same boat, and talk to HR as a group.

So last week during a huddle a Sr. TL at my store informed us that the new "rule" ----------------- So what is everyone's thoughts on this?

Here's my thought - and you ain't gonna like it
rolleyes5.gif

Just like the majority here --- Unless your name is Spot - and you "Make" the rules for "Your" company --

You work for Target - not the other way around -- Believe me -- I'm not defending their decision - But - when I go to your play-ground - and you have your way of playing basket-ball -- right or wrong --- it's your court and ball -- I'm just happy to play -- and if I don't like it ---- TTFN
seeya.gif

Just remember that a coaching doesn't really mean that much. If it goes to a counseling then I would raise holy hell about it. Just document how many of your punch corrections are due to the fact that the LOD was late opening the door.

I've seen the sheet of mispunchs get so long it almost touches the floor so I kinda understand why they made this announcement.
If it is not your fault that you had to fill out a mispunch (nobody came to the door and you were there on time) then I would mark that on the mispunch form and point that out if they try to coach you.
As spike pointed out coaching is not really not the end of the world, just their way of getting the ball rolling and trying to get you on your toes.
If it is your fault, then listen and make sure you punch in properly.

They absolutely can do this. I think that there more likely going to be looking for those who don't punch in or out etc.... I think if you aren't let in on time and such, that will be taken into consideration.

Thanks everyone. I mean yeah I knew they can do this, they can do whatever they want. It just seems unfair for the people that get there on time but are "late" due to the fact the LOD not opening the door on time. Hopefully they will take situations like mine into consideration and make an exception to the rule.

They always complain about it at our store when it gets out of hand and there is a list of like twenty people needing to submit a correction posted by the time clock.

They say it makes it hard to plan for the weeks hours, because when people don't punch their time properly, it doesn't show up in the used payroll totals while it is pending. It's also a big deal at the end of the month, where if you take a few days to correct a punch, then those hours show up on next months total, instead of the proper month.

If you think about it thats dumb though, the store should be able to consider the hours spent on the correct month after the punch correction, it's not like their hands are completely tied on the matter. Same with planning hours for the rest of the week. If susy didn't submit an end work, and the system can't account for the hours she worked, you better believe that I know my area well enough to estimate how many hours she worked that day, within two hours, EVERYTIME!!!

Just speak to an LOD about it tomorrow behind closed doors. I would bet that the Senior that said that was pointing it at specific people who are always incorrectly punching, not people waiting on LODs to come in. Also, at the least, your LODs should be unlocking the front doors at 8 AM and no later. So even if you went through the guest doors you should get in, in time to punch at the clock by 8:02 or so. You have six minutes to punch once your shift starts. You would only flag for being "late" if you punch at 8:07 when you start at 8.
He cant come in with the guests...his shift starts at 7 and the store doesnt open till 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back