Archived Can they not interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

signingminion

WAVing in the air like I just don't care
One of my tls left last week. They opened the position the day after she announced at huddle it would be her last week. I stalled it til it opened and then applied. Will target allow them to ignore my application if "they already have someone picked out" or "they just don't think it would be a good fit"? I'm willing to lose my job over fighting this if they ignore me again...

They're supposed to interview ALL applicants, especially internal. Before you apply though you're supposed to go to your ETL and ETL-HR and inform them of your intentions...still don't know why considering it'll pop up on JAS under internal applicants.

Be aware that promoting to TL is now entirely handled at the store level, with no DTL interview or involvement. So you'll need your STL and probably ETL-HR on your side to be promoted.

At this point I'm applying to remind them I'm interested since they ignore me and dangle the development carrot....

...of course almost two weeks have gone by and I stuck my foot in my mouth this morning and the stl threw a fit so now I'm on corrective action....so it doesn't matter. The conversation will be "btw obviously we won't be interviewing you" I'm 90g sure they gave me corrective action just to justify ignoring the application cause I gave them a convenient excuse. :mad:

Can't interview or promote when you're on corrective action.
Been there, tried that.
Sorry 'bout that.
If they interviewed in a timely manner it would have already been done. I've of course hard they've already tapped a favorite srtl to get the spot, but still.

Listing then ignoring my applications as part of my frustration and the stl promising to fix that with the etl-hr right there as the "second witness' was vaguely amusing...she squirmed a couple times.

If I hadn't said the f-bomb he would have nothing on me. He could have ignored it, but he likes to lash out. And again, convenient way to explain why they won't even seriously consider me for the position I'm overqualified for...

Plus now I have to come up with a list of things I've got issues with to talk about. And promise to discuss development, but with real and possibly harsh feedback. Sigh.

If getting that promotion is part of your current goals then it seems to me you only have 2 ways to responsibly handle the situation. Stick it out with your store until another position opens up (which is guaranteed to happen) or look for a transfer.

Both would involve taking accountability for your actions (however minor they may seem) getting past this corrective action and really impressing your leadership in the process.

Keep in mind you're not doing this for them, you're doing it for you.

I learned a long time ago that it's one thing to be the "perfect" candidate, it's another to be someone who needs development but takes it to heart and really proves their worth. The latter is much more valuable in the long term because you're proven through commitment, drive, and willingness to grow and adapt.

It sucks feeling like you're being pushed down or held back, but trust me, if you come through even better you have the chance to make yourself the obvious choice the next time you're pursuing that promotion. You'll be the one who's hand picked.

You may think this sounds like a fairy tale or a joke or I'm just being too optimistic...but all I'm saying is a commitment to self improvement and good old fashioned hard work can really turn this around for you.

Not 100% revelant here, but I applied for an AP position at another store shortly after it became available. Despite having full support from my own store, never having a coaching or CAA, and perfect attendance for 1 1/2 years, the other store flat out refused to grant me even an interview. The other store went with another transfer hire.
So yes, it does seem that they can deny interviews.

If your store is over head count, has someone on the bench , or wants to switch a TL to that work center, or has a transfer coming in, then no, they don't have to interview you and can turn down your application.

Stores are required to have TMS on the bench as well. So it's unlikely they would have to even interview unless they have other positions in mind for the bench TL. With the start of the 4th quarter, stores over head count are trying to get rid of their TLs.

Just shine and don't give them any reason not to choose you next time. Remain calm and level headed. They don't want a TL who is going to cause an uproar when they don't get what they want. It causes tension and gives the impression of immaturity and a lack of stability.

Also, interviews are not the final say. I've had people flunk interviews but had a feeling they'd be a great asset and it's worked out. The same vice versa. If they don't think you're the right fit then an interview won't change anything.

Swearing at your stl and having a fit is a good way to not ever get promoted at that store. Just have to stay level headed, and hope for the best at this point. Wait out your corrective, then try and transfer out.

Swearing at your stl and having a fit is a good way to not ever get promoted at that store. Just have to stay level headed, and hope for the best at this point. Wait out your corrective, then try and transfer out.
She said she swore in the presence of the STL, not at the STL. Which may not ordinarily be a big deal. The leadership team at my store is fine with it and understands that sometimes we just need to vent and swears might come out, as long as it's not within earshot of guests. I think every TL and ETL at my store has cussed in front of others at least once.

She said she swore in the presence of the STL, not at the STL. Which may not ordinarily be a big deal. The leadership team at my store is fine with it and understands that sometimes we just need to vent and swears might come out, as long as it's not within earshot of guests. I think every TL and ETL at my store has cussed in front of others at least once.
True, guess I just over assumed

Seen it time and time again. Store management has someone particular in mind. Interview just them and hand them the position. Never once were other qualified TMs interviewed.

Stores are required to have TMS on the bench as well. So it's unlikely they would have to even interview unless they have other positions in mind for the bench TL.

Not so sure its required as my store hasn't had anyone on the bench officially or unofficially for at least a year and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back