Archived Can you be an ass/call out guests off the clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitii

yeah
While you're in the store.

There's this guy who is at our store almost every day. He steals, AP knows and for whatever reason they haven't been able to get him and his buddies. So I'm at the store, my day off and I'm in my regular clothes and he's in front of me in line. He starts talking to me all buddy buddy and I hate this guy. I hate that I have to follow him around whenever he's in the store. I hate his face. I hate his fake-buddy attitude. I, man fuck that guy. So basically I wanted to be an utter ass to the guy, call him out ask him what he's stealing today, etc etc. But I stopped myself and smiled and acted nice despite not being on the clock, because I'm in my own store.

What's the general consensus on something like that?

Never ever accuse. Especially since he could recognize you as an employee.

I love being passive aggressive with guests, but I'll never flat out accuse then of something. At least not at a Target store. Now if I saw then at a different store....maybe. lol.

I'm an ass to all the shitty people, but I don't accuse them of stealing.

I'm just not as nice. One day after clocking out I was shopping in intimates and a lady was like "whoever hangs this shit is re****ed." If she used any other word, I wouldn't have said anything, but I said "thank you!" I worked intimates that day. Bras tangle sometimes. It happens. Then she went on with the insults, asked me for help and gave a backhanded apology all in one breath. I continued shopping and said something like "I'm off the clock, I don't have to listen to you."

Implying that the guy is a suspected shoplifter might still get you in trouble off the clock. It probably falls under leaking confidential information.

As for just being an ass... I guess you could, but leadership will be pretty pissed at you if they ever find out.

I personally would be fine with you saying whatever you want to them. I have pretended like a return was going through (and it was merchandise stolen from the floor) and set it behind the counter, and then voided the whole thing and told the person we called the cops right when they walked in today and that they can wait for them to sort out the return if they want to hang around! I have also told them to go find a real job... not like they have a survey printed out.

Never ever accuse. Especially since he could recognize you as an employee.

I love being passive aggressive with guests, but I'll never flat out accuse then of something. At least not at a Target store. Now if I saw then at a different store....maybe. lol.
Remember, even shoplifters have feelings too, and Target would not want us to do anything to hurt those feelings.

That's why I love being in Starbucks. Oh you're being a complete asshat to my team members and I? Okay here's your decaf iced americano. Have fun sipping that up thinking it's going to wake you up!

Just don't do that the other way around! I.e., they request decaf and you give them caffeinated. A good way to hurt somebody.

I would never at my store. I've done it at the one next to us. Stopped in after work still in red/ khaki. Some bitch chased me across decorative home...screaming. I paused while she ran up. Asked me if I knew who she was.
me-Nope, do you know who I am?
her-You work here.
me-Nope.
her-You do too, don't lie. Do you know who my husband is?
me-Does he know "insert rich regional corporate real estate mogul name here".
her-No. He works for "insert ceo of single location business here"
me-Then he's shit, sorry hon. Better luck next time around. Might want to get that piece of glass on your finger double checked too...
Walked up to gsa and warned them she'd likely be up breathing fire...best day ever.

I personally would be fine with you saying whatever you want to them. I have pretended like a return was going through (and it was merchandise stolen from the floor) and set it behind the counter, and then voided the whole thing and told the person we called the cops right when they walked in today and that they can wait for them to sort out the return if they want to hang around! I have also told them to go find a real job... not like they have a survey printed out.

Please come work at my store. I would love to see their faces. One of our ETL's is awesome too. One time she stopped a shoplifter and ask if they were done shoplifting or if she needed more time :D:D. The girl dropped everything and ran out of the store. It was so funny.

The few of my regulars that order decaf have health issues like CHF, high blood pressure, etc & caffeinated CAN cause harm.
But decaf for a tight-wound beotch? Nahhhhh.

Please come work at my store. I would love to see their faces. One of our ETL's is awesome too. One time she stopped a shoplifter and ask if they were done shoplifting or if she needed more time :D:D. The girl dropped everything and ran out of the store. It was so funny.

Haha I have done something similar. I saw a few meth heads load up on fitbits in sporting goods in a cart with a bunch of other stuff, and head into softlines. I grabbed an empty cart, brought it over to them and told them their cart looks full so we will hold theirs at service desk and they can use a new one... they just left lol!

Haha I have done something similar. I saw a few meth heads load up on fitbits in sporting goods in a cart with a bunch of other stuff, and head into softlines. I grabbed an empty cart, brought it over to them and told them their cart looks full so we will hold theirs at service desk and they can use a new one... they just left lol!

Maybe you ARE my ETL :p. That's something she would totally do and enjoy doing it. She's pretty awesome.

A guest can be an ass but, IMO, a tm can not, whether you are punched in or punched out. It may come back to bite you in the ass, not the guest.

Usually the guests are too embarrassed to tell anyone. I try not to be a dick in any situation I think leadership wouldn't take my side on, though. Like, I always hang up on racists, then I tell the lod just in case they call back or make a complaint or something and leave out the part where they deserved to be hung up on. Lod is always on my side so far. The one thing I know I can't be an ass about is fitting room limitations. My execs don't gaf about fitting room rules so I don't fight it if someone wants to break a rule.

You technically can. My guests in market expect me to not be too impressed and glare at them when they ask me questions.

The only people I definitely won't be an ass to off the clock if they ask me things is our one deaf regular. She has enough hardship being deaf and somehow we're good at communicating.

We have a regular who buys nothing and is in multiple times a day. I'm not friendly with her even if I'm on the clock, I wish we could kick her out. All she does is talk to the TMs for hours on end and waste our time. One day I was walking out of the store to go home, and she sees me, and tries to strike up conversation. I wasn't having it. I was tired. My replies to her were very short and blunt and I was on my way as soon as she realized I'm not gonna be friendly to her even if I'm not working.

We have a regular who buys nothing and is in multiple times a day. I'm not friendly with her even if I'm on the clock, I wish we could kick her out. All she does is talk to the TMs for hours on end and waste our time. One day I was walking out of the store to go home, and she sees me, and tries to strike up conversation. I wasn't having it. I was tired. My replies to her were very short and blunt and I was on my way as soon as she realized I'm not gonna be friendly to her even if I'm not working.
You could be at my store!

We have an annoying guest who does the same thing. I want nothing more than to boot them, but everyone says I'm heartless and that they're just lonely...be lonely somewhere else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back