Archived Can you stay later?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was helping push seasonal freight because the truck was huge (note backroom is not where I usually work) and by the time I'm supposed to leave my lod asks if I can stay later (there were 2 more flats of seasonal that was not pushed) me being a nice person I said yes I can stay about 30 mins later to which my lod says okay if your staying later I need you to get a flat done (in 30 mins) I was so baffled as they walked away. Are you kidding me a full flat in 30 mins? Needless to say I got about half way done and then left after 30 mins. My lod did not say please or even put it as a question. I was so frustrated. That kind of attitude and behavior from an lod does NOT make people want to stay late and I never will again. Have any of you had similar experiences?

The LOD asked if you could stay later and told you what they needed done. It wasn’t up for debate.

Surely it was. The LOD was asking for a favor, not lending one. They're lucky opalitewaves stuck around and got half the flat done -- they could have left at their scheduled time and nothing would have gotten done instead.

There’s nothing wrong with not finishing the flat; but OP is mad that they said they’d stay late and didn’t get showered in praise. The LOD didn’t need to say anything more than “ok, push that flat”.

Someone at my store put it simply and lightly to me.. "ETLs make me laugh."
Getting one case done a minute is hard when you don't automatically know the area, the location, and work at a very brisk pace. If an LOD asked me to stay late and I said "Sure." I'll specifically state what I know can get done, I won't let them decide what I should get done. There's a HUGE pay gap between TM to ETL/Sr. TL and what a person getting paid $60,000 a year expects a guy who makes starting pay after two years of work is probably starkly different in the perspective of the TM.

I think the issue is more "I got pushed into an unrealistic goal" and not "I got zero praise for what I did." although a "please" could have been nice.

, G
I was helping push seasonal freight because the truck was huge (note backroom is not where I usually work) and by the time I'm supposed to leave my lod asks if I can stay later (there were 2 more flats of seasonal that was not pushed) me being a nice person I said yes I can stay about 30 mins later to which my lod says okay if your staying later I need you to get a flat done (in 30 mins) I was so baffled as they walked away. Are you kidding me a full flat in 30 mins? Needless to say I got about half way done and then left after 30 mins. My lod did not say please or even put it as a question. I was so frustrated. That kind of attitude and behavior from an lod does NOT make people want to stay late and I never will again. Have any of you had similar experiences?
No, usually if you do someone a favor they act like they appreciate it. When I asked someone to stay I always gave them fair warning about what they would be doing if they stayed, and if they didn’t want to stay, that was fine, too. No pressure, up to them.😁

Did you tell LOD what you accomplished in 30 minutes before you left or did you just leave?

You
Surely it was. The LOD was asking for a favor, not lending one. They're lucky opalitewaves stuck around and got half the flat done -- they could have left at their scheduled time and nothing would have gotten done instead.

Modernization cranked turnover up to 11. Leadership can't keep blaming TMs when there's a revolving door. Eventually, the buck stops with them. If ETLs and even STLs can't produce results, they'll be out of a job soon enough. Asking people to stay late, and then attaching strings like getting an arbitrary amount of work done is doing more harm than good. They're lucky TMs are willing to stay at all given the nonsense they have to deal with.
You summed up how I feel pretty perfectly👍

There’s nothing wrong with not finishing the flat; but OP is mad that they said they’d stay late and didn’t get showered in praise. The LOD didn’t need to say anything more than “ok, push that flat”.
I'm not mad I didn't get showered in praise. I'm mad I did nto get treated like a human being. They did not even ask "would you be able to push this flat" it was oh you can stay later ? Okay push this whole flat in 30 minutes and help guests and answer phones calls etc etc.

I'm not mad I didn't get showered in praise. I'm mad I did nto get treated like a human being. They did not even ask "would you be able to push this flat" it was oh you can stay later ? Okay push this whole flat in 30 minutes and help guests and answer phones calls etc etc.

What is the point in asking if you can or can't? The LOD doesn't have time to split hairs with you. Fact of the matter is, you're asked to stay an extra 30 minutes. Do as much if the task you can, and then go home. There's nothing more to this equation. Dont take it so personally...because it's not personal. By all means, feel angry if you want. But if you're looking for some assurance, you're not gonna get it.

You sound like my under performing tms. " I couldn't finish because I was helping guests all day" yet they are just standing around, talking to other Tms or going on the 5th trip to the restroom.

What is the point in asking if you can or can't? The LOD doesn't have time to split hairs with you. Fact of the matter is, you're asked to stay an extra 30 minutes. Do as much if the task you can, and then go home. There's nothing more to this equation. Dont take it so personally...because it's not personal. By all means, feel angry if you want. But if you're looking for some assurance, you're not gonna get it.
Because I'm a person and deserve to be treated as such it'd that simple really.

Leaders sometimes set an unrealistic bar with the hope of motivating a TM. I had an ETL SF peer who did this constantly and would call it a leadership skill of theirs. Doing such often leads to higher expectations.

I imagine that the LOD was overwhelmed with everything that needed to be done and was just trying to tell you what he needed accomplished. Many times TMs who volunteer to stay later stay longer than 30 minutes unless compliance issues come into play. Maybe the LOD was hoping you’d finish the task once you got into it.

You were told what your task was for your extended stay.
How about ask, "can you stay for 30 min and finish this flat?" That gives the TM the ability to say this is an unreasonable expectation. The worst is extending a TM past their normal time and expecting improved efficiency or worse yet PDDing them for the unrealistic expectations. If they have worked 8 hours their productivity is going to go down there is no way around that.

How about ask, "can you stay for 30 min and finish this flat?" That gives the TM the ability to say this is an unreasonable expectation. The worst is extending a TM past their normal time and expecting improved efficiency or worse yet PDDing them for the unrealistic expectations. If they have worked 8 hours their productivity is going to go down there is no way around that.
No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back