Archived Cancelling a flexible without LOD approval?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FailFaux

Go ahead for Backroom.
There's been a few times I was dealing with a flexible and after about 15-20 minutes of search with other employees helping (in every possible location including reshop...). So after searching, I'll give up and call the LOD and they'll tell me to cancel it.

However, once or twice now I've cancelled an item without approval if I can't reach them, find them, or if I've been stuck on it for enough time.

What happens after I cancel it exactly and could this catch up to me?

What happens after I cancel it exactly and could this catch up to me?
The LOD will get a redwire alert saying you cancelled an item (it will specifically mention your name and the order number).

They may not notice and they may not care. But if you have been told to always check with the LOD before canceling, it could definitely come back on you.

They may not notice and they may not care. But if you have been told to always check with the LOD before canceling, it could definitely come back on you.
I've been told I should advise them every time, though one of my trainers made note that it's simply not possible to get LOD approval every single time.

Thanks for the information.

We have standing approval to do it at my store, so nobody really questions it. However, they do look at the weekly report of cancelled items and if TMs are cancelling things after only looking for a minute or two, they will get talked to.

That I can understand and honestly approve of more than having to get approval every single time. I don't mind being checked up on, looked into, or monitored. I just don't want to take away from both my work and the LOD's by having to have a conversation when an item that was/is on sale is not available. (Especially when we have around 10-20 flexibles of either the same items or very similar.)

And don't get me wrong, I do look hard every time:
A guest wanted specific christmas lights that were on sale yesterday. They were nowhere to be found and their specific spot was empty. I looked behind every box and eventually found a stash someone was clearly hiding. I let the LOD know about the stash and delivered the items. All in all, took about 20 minutes of searching because of our large stock of seasonal supplies.

I always let the LOD know. That way, no one can blame for me for cancelling an order. We have one ETL who will insist on checking on the item himself before giving approval to cancel.

At my store we are not allowed to cancel and order with approval from the lod. I will look and then I will call the lod over the walkie and tell them there is a fa in the system and I cant find the items. I will then ask them if they can look for it . Some of them will go and look others say just go ahead and cancel it .

As an LOD, I'll always ask for the dpci. If it says we're out of stock, I'll tell them to cancel. If it says we have on hands, I will go looking. 9/10, the item cannot be located, but there have been times that I've found the item. Sometimes on the shelf, sometimes on a tub of backstock.

I always check if it's softlines. It depends on the situation if I will check on hardlines.

As an LOD, I'll always ask for the dpci. If it says we're out of stock, I'll tell them to cancel. If it says we have on hands, I will go looking. 9/10, the item cannot be located, but there have been times that I've found the item. Sometimes on the shelf, sometimes on a tub of backstock.
For FFs, it removes the amount in the order from the on-hands when the order drops in. So if a guest ordered one of something and it shows zero on-hand, it really means there's one on-hand. It will drop back in to the on-hands about 5 minutes after cancelling the order.

If it's a negative on-hand, then it's truly out of stock.

For FFs, it removes the amount in the order from the on-hands when the order drops in. So if a guest ordered one of something and it shows zero on-hand, it really means there's one on-hand. It will drop back in to the on-hands about 5 minutes after cancelling the order.

If it's a negative on-hand, then it's truly out of stock.

Ah, I did not know that. It doesn't show negative on hands on the MyDevice.

Although even if it does show zero on-hand (meaning there is only one), the chances of finding it are probably prettty slim. It's when there's a lot on-hand or a recent pull/received date that I would devote some time to searching for it.

As an LOD, I'll always ask for the dpci. If it says we're out of stock, I'll tell them to cancel.

Why wouldn't your tms check the dpcis themselves to see if any are in stock? I wouldn't waste my LODs time by asking them to check a dpci for me. I will let them know I checked the # and we don't have any. If we have on hands, I'll let them know and then they can look if they want.

Why wouldn't your tms check the dpcis themselves to see if any are in stock? I wouldn't waste my LODs time by asking them to check a dpci for me. I will let them know I checked the # and we don't have any. If we have on hands, I'll let them know and then they can look if they want.
Agreed, TMs should be doing that on their own.

But keep in mind what I said above. Something that come up as having zero on-hand does NOT mean that you don't have any. It means that you have one (or however many were ordered) and it was already subtracted from the on-hands for that order.

The LOD will know. Theyre constantly getting alerts. They like you to let them see it first because if the store gets a certain amount of cleared flexes they will take a hit. Better off to just notify them each time no matter the circumstance. Just because.

We have standing approval to do it at my store, so nobody really questions it. However, they do look at the weekly report of cancelled items and if TMs are cancelling things after only looking for a minute or two, they will get talked to.
I have approval as long as I notify the LOD first that im about to clear it, they trust my judgment i guess. It would be nice to just do it. Most the time the our LOD is so busy on facebook they cannot answer the call. (Seriously our ETLs are 100% females) not that it makes a difference in gender but theyre ALWAYS on facebook man. I feel like an old timer around them because I dont use it, TMs play part during lunch and they share shit with eachother.

Last edited:
Agreed, TMs should be doing that on their own.

But keep in mind what I said above. Something that come up as having zero on-hand does NOT mean that you don't have any. It means that you have one (or however many were ordered) and it was already subtracted from the on-hands for that order.

Also, trying to memorize the DPCI to toggle to item search to even check the OH count can be cumbersome, and often not worth it if you are having to pick an SPU during a timed task like CAFs.

Also, trying to memorize the DPCI to toggle to item search to even check the OH count can be cumbersome, and often not worth it if you are having to pick an SPU during a timed task like CAFs.

This! For some items I just cancel it on my own (thankfully my srTL thinks calling the LOD is a stupid process, so I always feel comfortable cancelling because I know he'd have my back) but depending on the item I'll call the LOD and have them look up the item because there's no way I can memorize the dpci and I don't have a mydevice, so the LOD can always tell me when our last delivery was.

I asked my STL about an item I couldn't find once and he saw it had been delivered that day. That block had already been pushed but he figured it'd be in the repackaged boxes. I went over to check the carts and sure enough, there it was. So I think it CAN be worth it to call an LOD, it covers your ass, they have way more info on a mydevice, and sometimes they know important info about that particular item ("yea, we lost a DVD shipper, so cancel all orders for that movie" just happened to me last week!)

Is it weird that I don't think it's that hard to memorize the DPCI for a few seconds while toggling to item search? I just read it, repeat it in my head, then repeat it again as I toggle to item search and type 49, then repeat it a third time while actually typing it in.

Curious, what does typing 49 do during item search? (I'm used to doing that when processing collates for items that don't scan but I've never done it otherwise.)

Curious, what does typing 49 do during item search? (I'm used to doing that when processing collates for items that don't scan but I've never done it otherwise.)
If you type in only the DPCI in item search (on the PDA), you'll have to click through a few more menus to get to the item page. And if the on-hand is zero, it will end up on a page that indicates it's not even sold at your store.

Typing in 49 first makes it an actual UPC and has the same effect as scanning the barcode. It will go directly to the item page every time.

Out STL makes us walk laps around the store looking for the stupidest shit. It's annoying because we can't get backroom work done because they paid me more by the hour than the store would of made if I found that cheap ass piece of holiday candy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back