Archived Career Counseling/Coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for information on finding career counseling/coaching. If anyone has had experience with this, please share what you did to get it, what you experienced and if you think it's worth the time and money.

I'm hoping to get my resume and other resources up-to-date and get the hell out of Spot. It's been a vacuum for me and I need to get out if I expect to have a life/career path again.

My work in the area is with people who have disabilities.
The counselors I work with help people who have to make drastic changes in their lives and often have no idea what they want to do or can do.
I have to say it is not easy even when the people have an idea of what direction to go.
There are a lot of resources on line, Onet is one that gives the backgrounds for the different jobs that are out there.
All states have a Dept. of Labor and they have places to go where you can take courses on building your resume and look into what jobs are available.
The thing is that whatever is the hot job now may be outdated in a few years.
We had a ton of people who wanted to learn web design a while back which makes sense for people with disabilities but now there isn't much call for that since so many web sites are PnP.
Now we have a lot of people who want to get CDLs because of all the research saying there is a demand but I'm willing to bet that with self driving cars just down the road the trucks won't be too far along and we will be having to find a new job for them.
Do the research yourself, don't pay for it.
The people who charge for it are as hit and miss as the people who will help you for free.

Last edited:
My work in the area is with people who have disabilities.
The counselors I work with help people who have to make drastic changes in their lives and often have no idea what they want to do or can do.
I have to say it is not easy even when the people have an idea of what direction to go.
There are a lot of resources on line, Onet is one that gives the backgrounds for the different jobs that are out there.
All states have a Dept. of Labor and they have places to go where you can take course on building your resume and look into what jobs are available.
The thing is that whatever is the hot job now make be outdated in a few years.
We had a ton of people who wanted to learn web design a while back which makes sense for people with disabilities but now there isn't much call for that since so many web sites are PnP.
Now we a lot of people who want to get CDLs because all the research saying there is a demand but I'm willing to bet that with self driving cars just down the road the trucks won't be too far along and we will be having to find a new job for them.
Do the research yourself, don't pay for it.
The people who charge for it are as hit and miss as the people who will help you for free.

Valid points. My interest is more in updating my information and realigning myself to be more visible. I've had little to no response in my attempts and am looking to find someone with more background to help explain and then show me where improvements can be made. I understand that the career fields change drastically at times, but my experience and education are defined well. Target was a long interruption that filled a need, but now I'm ready to get out. I know what and where, I just need the how interpreted. When I started in the workforce, the internet was just a wild thing. Now it's very much a necessity. I'm just looking for a guide through it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back