Cart attendant shout out

This past weeks weather has been brutal across the country. I would like to throw down a small challenge to everyone who reads this. Take the time to thank, actually walk up to and thank your cart attendants. These folks are pretty much forgotten in most stores. Usually they are just hearing people bark at them all day on the walkie. For keeping the corrals empty and carts in the store, fitting patio furniture in way too small SUVs, and everything else they do. No one else wants to do what they do. I just think it would be nice if they get some extra thanks during this hellish heat

I began my career (serfdom) with Target as a cart attendant, and get put back into it every time someone quits, gets fired, or has to take some flavor of extended leave. I've currently been at it for about a month while they look for replacements for one cart attendant who was let go, and one who is leaving at the end of the summer for college. Thanks for thinking about us. I assure you that the lords of management at my store aren't, except when they need a cart attendant to do something for them.

I sincerely hope y'all are taking care of yourselves and wearing sunscreen. No job is worth your health. Drink water, too! I wouldn't trade most of my cart attendants for anything, they do so much for the front that we would fall apart if they disappeared! I try to recognize them often, I hope they feel appreciated.

When it’s comfortable to go outside we always let our Front of Store Attendants drink water whenever they come inside and take a 5 after they clear the lot (outside of regular breaks). When it’s gross outside they get a Gatorade/Powerade/Body Armor requisitioned for them, and when it’s extreme like we just had they’ll get a couple of drinks per shift requisitioned. In the winter we’ll get them whatever hot cocoa or coffee hot drink they want (not a Starbucks so whatever we can make them). Plus we keep the Outdoor Temperature Safety Guide at the service desk to make sure they aren’t going outside longer than it’s safe. Reading how some stores treat their attendants makes me feel like I work at an anomaly.. not only do they know they’re appreciated but our SD will not let the floor call them for help to clean up a mess (you find it, you clean it) but our SD will also make sure they are getting to rest enough.

Maybe your store, not mine. 85 degrees ain't 125+ IN THE SUN.

Last edited:
As a ca we are treated like crap by our front end. All they do is complain about everything. I can’t even get a break when I’m working eight hour shifts. They ask if I have anyone to cover for me but I’m the only ca. If I’m lucky to get a break it gets cut short because of a carry out and I tell the front end I am on break and ask if they can do it and I get told “it’s your job you have to do it”

As a ca we are treated like crap by our front end. All they do is complain about everything. I can’t even get a break when I’m working eight hour shifts. They ask if I have anyone to cover for me but I’m the only ca. If I’m lucky to get a break it gets cut short because of a carry out and I tell the front end I am on break and ask if they can do it and I get told “it’s your job you have to do it”
You are required to take your lunch break in an 8 hour shift. By not taking it, gets you in trouble.

Thank you to all of the cart attendants! You do a job most of us couldn’t or wouldn’t do. Whether it’s cleaning god knows what in the bathrooms or gathering carts in rain, snow, and unbearable heat, or carrying out a 70” tv to find the “guest” brought their Prius, the cart attendants do it all. I hope you know you are appreciated. I am going to make sure I let the cart attendants at my store know how much I value what they do and how much they help the entire store, not just the front end.

People have cart attendants still? Our store canned all of ours. They make softlines get carts all day. Guest service clean restrooms and does front trashes.

Edit: damn phone keyboard sorry for those typos good gravy

Last edited:
You are required to take your lunch break in an 8 hour shift. By not taking it, gets you in trouble.
I think the cart attendant was talking about getting cheated out of their 15-minute breaks. The CA needs to ask HR or even their SD about this issue if this denial of 15-minute breaks by the SETL or LOD is a chronic pattern. Target policy is that TMs are entitled to those breaks and cannot perform work-related tasks during those breaks. The whole idea of a break is for rest and refreshment.

If the CA is being forced to work off-the-clock during their mandatory meal break, that is an even more serious problem and one which the CA needs to speak up about.

I make a point, as do other front-end TMs, of being friendly and appreciative with our CAs and thank them when they help out. There probably are many other Target stores where the CAs are indeed treated like crap taken for granted. Sad.

Last edited:
Back