Archived Cart Attending Pain issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTGOz

Suitable
I've been working carts now for around 2-3 months now and have been scheduled for many consecutive cart shifts this time around.

Yesterday, we got hit with our first snow and the closing cart attendant called in and I was working a mid shift so I said I'd close. I was having awful issues with staying dry during this blizzard and my boots only lasted about 5 hours before the water began soaking into the insides of my boots. I found some hand warmers in our cart attendant closet and popped those in my boots and they helped keep my feet semi-dry, I think this is what saved me.

I did carts again all day today in the same boots (still wet from last night.) and my feet were destroyed during this shift. Blisters all up and down my the opposite sides of my feet and chaffed/irritated skin on the upper bottom of my feet. The soles on my feet and pinky toes are blood red. I can barely get around my apartment. The snow's began to freeze pretty hard now so I'm considering just wearing my tennis shoes tomorrow instead of my boots because it won't be as wet.

The boots have always worked fine before in previous shifts besides the discomfort of having no additional inserts to accommodate my feet. I don't think I can return these for a size above because I purchased these over a month ago off Amazon. They're Wolverine boots, courtesy to random member here who recommended them to me.

what do I do? I plan on buying inserts, but in the meanwhile... what are some things I can do on the job to alleviate these pains? I work 8 hours carts again tomorrow and I'm scared I'm only digging myself in a deeper hole and won't be able to last until the end of my consecutive cart shifts. I may be able to go and buy some inserts before my shift but God knows I won't wake up early enough lol.

What have any ex or current Cart Attendants done to alleviate any foot/leg/back pains?

I tried buying cheap waterproof footgear. They were painful and uncomfortable.

I wound up spending $160 on a great set of boots, and I've never looked back.

You've gotta LOVE being a CA to spend that much.

I do.

Additionally, I don't rely on the 'raincoats' Spot provides.

I have my own gear.

Attachments

• IMG_2338.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 47
You might want to wear tennis shoes. Also, let your gstl or GSA know about your current condition. You can get rubber boots from Home Depot or lowes that can fit over your tennis shoes for 15.00.

I'd check on the return policy for the boots, Boots are supposed to keep your foot dry, unless they're fashion boots. And Wolverine is a fairly decent brand.

Also, put your boots by the heat, or splurge on a boot dryer. Good to dry out boots, and really nice to put on shoes that have been heated!

Stop wearing wet shoes for starters. That's a great way to get trenchcoat. I'd just pack extra shoes and socks and change then mid shift. Leave a pair at tsc to dry overnight if you can

1) Don't use heat to dry your shoes. It breaks down the glue and stitching. Just open them up, pull the tongue back and have a fan blow on them overnight.

2) If you look at the pic I posted, you'll see I'm wearing those rubber slipovers. They don't work, for the most part. When I discovered that, I broke down and bought some $50 rubber boots. When I found out how uncomfortable they were, again I broke down and bought the more expensive, WAY more comfortable boots.

3) You won't get trenchfoot from a days worth of wearing wet shoes. That takes days/weeks to develop.

I'd check on the return policy for the boots, Boots are supposed to keep your foot dry, unless they're fashion boots. And Wolverine is a fairly decent brand.

Also, put your boots by the heat, or splurge on a boot dryer. Good to dry out boots, and really nice to put on shoes that have been heated!
I actually bought some Wolverines when they were on sale when they started because I'm clumsy.

I could be wrong, but I heard Wolverines fall apart when they get repeatedly wet.

1) Don't use heat to dry your shoes. It breaks down the glue and stitching. Just open them up, pull the tongue back and have a fan blow on them overnight.

That's why a boot dryer is such a great gadget! Gets the inside of your shoe/boot dry all the way to your toes! And won't damage the outside of your boot.

All a boot dryer is is a fan - there is no heat involved.

Bleeb it or not a regular fan works just as well.

1Y2yj24.jpg

Do something this to dry your boots and keep them warm.

One of those plastic air vent redirectors, put a boot tray in front of it, put your boots on their side in front of the hot air.

Remember what I said about heat... DOUBLE that for hot.

Thanks everyone for the tips. Today went a lot better at least pain wise, feet are sore from a hard day's work but that's normal lol. I can at least walk around places. I did manage to somehow get the heel of my shoe caught underneath the metal bar on the ground keeping the cart holder stable as I was pushing carts out of it. Just so happens the 8-9 carts actually hurts quite a bit when they ram your shin. Escaped with a nice bruise and a sore butt after I fell back making it all worse lol.

I'll have to invest in a boot drier or some other boots. Wolverines worked great for me all summer when I went outdoors fishing or anything outdoorsy. But Friday proved they might not be the best winter option, and after hearing that they tend to fall apart after too much wetness, I may need to splurge... they're predicting another storm Tues-Wed here with 6+ inches expected to fall and my area is supposed to get the worst. Good thing I'm not working.. but God help whoever is and hope they're prepared.

Never knew heat actually wore apart stitchings. The irritation and redness went away and is no longer bothering me, so I don't think it was anything like Trenchfoot. Just mild water irritation.. maybe dermatitis? No idea, but today I brought those same boots along and wore my tennis shoes. It was my first time ever working in a Blizzard so next time I'm gonna be prepared :D

Thanks everyone! It's great being able to tap into your experience, kartman. At my store the oldest CA is 18 and has been here since he was 16 and he's from my school. All the other CAs like to moan and complain or call into their shifts because they don't wanna do it. I usually find myself doing their labor instead while they push easy softlines side lol. At least at my store we have two entrances with a cart area at each. One for grocery and for softline, we're a SuperT.

Kartman is ex-Navy & dealt with his share of bad weather on deck.
He's also an authority on just about every type of protective gear used at Target.

All a boot dryer is is a fan - there is no heat involved.

Bleeb it or not a regular fan works just as well.

A fan that blows WARM air. Makes my shoes nice & toasty when I put them on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back