Archived Cash Advance Best Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're flagging due to not following the best practice of keying in cash advances. Can someone give me the breakdown on proper procedure?

We're well into the negatives and it's not theft (as of yet), it's all been the team being messy with not keying advances. My ETL GE seems to be completely oblivious of process so I wanted some clarity.

From our cash office guide:
-Pull yesterday’s cash bags & stack them on the wire cart with lanes on one side & dept locations on the other. Place the empty tub nearby to stack cash bags in as they are emptied & processed. Set unused start funds to the side to be included in next day’s advance (note: the number of unused start funds should be equal to the number of empty bags of locations that were not re-banked).

-Log onto CP4000 & check the worksheet for evening advances, entering any in system under last night’s advances. If none, tuck sheet into yellow envelope. Enter the safe contents under balance safe & set sheet aside to be included in yellow envelope.

-Under count loc, process cash adv fund first (including coin rolls noted earlier), then process remaining bags accordingly, strapping $1s into bundles of 50 as you go (use confirm count to avoid adding to grand totals). Count & set aside any $1 coins or halves. When a bag is empty, (didn’t require rebanking) enter 50 $1s, 10 $5s, 3 $10s & 1 $20.When stacking larger bills, $20, $50 & $100 bills should be facing up in the same direction. Straps going in for deposit must be stamped on back with store stamp. You can scroll to the far right column to check bill totals. If adding missed SBAs or halves, finish & save. Return to count loc menu, recall, go to loc # & add under coins. Save again & close. SBAs & halves go into an envelope (amount noted & stamped) to be included in cash deposit. When checking final tally, note the number of unused start funds & add them to the physical count (ex: 10 start funds adds 10 $20s, 30 $10s, 100 $5s & 500 $1s).

-When all locations are finished, transfer to safe. Set aside currency for the next day’s advance, including yesterday’s unused start funds (see your daily advance sheet for amounts) before going to enter deposits, pulling bundles from safe as needed. Complete cash deposit slip & bag, stacking straps neatly. Put deposit bag in safe for armored pick-up, recording amount in log book. Staple deposit bag tear off strip to yellow deposit slip copy & place in yellow envelope.

-On today’s advance sheet, enter each location’s balances under today’s advances. Fill out a new advance sheet with tomorrow’s date.
@redeye58, @Retail Girl, @thetargetman, please add to this.

After you log into CP4000 check by your safe for the safe count and advances sheet. if the LOD has keyed in the information properly there should be the amount taken under what denomination of rolled coins or cash. make sure you key in the proper amount and double check to make sure it makes sense before hitting Accept. When you do your Opening safe count start by putting in your "ADV"s and all the amounts that are for your store I started off with the cash and than counted the coins. You should get a "check". Bring out your metal cart that holds your money straps and plastic bags for the bank deposits. Put the bags in order and keep note of what bags are empty, the empty bags should match advances not banked the night before. if you are missing anything and do not have any note from the night before you need to tell your LOD. You should start counting from your change fund and key first the rolled coins and than start counting and sorting. after you make your advances than start strapping 1s into 100 dollar piles thank separate the other funds. after that than prepare the 20s to go to the bank and deposit coins as well. than start to create the register start funds. after you do that count to make sure you have a bundle for each register not including guest services. after you create your deposit and keep all your paper work together take your advances sheet and fill out each location and what is going to each of the change fund, and guest service registers and than do your final safe count of the day. each "check point" at the open safe count, transfer to safe, and final safe count should get you a check if everything added up right. don't forget to put the paperwork into your yellow envelope lock up the safe and leave the cash office than notify the LOD that you are finished with 239. If you want more information please let me know. I will be happy to help you in a privet message.

When the ETL lets you into cash office & opens the safe, compare the safe contents with the safe balance sheet.
If anything is missing from the safe that isn't notated on the worksheet or safe count sheet, the LOD should be notified before you even log onto CP4000.
That will take care of discrepancies before you get started.
Your leadership needs to start cracking the whip & issuing CAs to anyone who doesn't enter cash advances on either sheet; your AP should be advising your ETL-GE.

When the ETL lets you into cash office & opens the safe, compare the safe contents with the safe balance sheet.
If anything is missing from the safe that isn't notated on the worksheet or safe count sheet, the LOD should be notified before you even log onto CP4000.
That will take care of discrepancies before you get started.
Your leadership needs to start cracking the whip & issuing CAs to anyone who doesn't enter cash advances on either sheet; your AP should be advising your ETL-GE.
Great advice! There have been times I had to notify the LOD of a missing change fund bag. The closing GSTL had thankfully locked it in the change drawer.

Have another c.o. question. Does anyone else have a problem with getting the LOD to check you out of the c.o.? Mine (STL especially) tells me to come on out and they will verify it later, which almost never happens. im responsible for that money til someone verifies it. Just irritates me.

We're flagging due to not following the best practice of keying in cash advances. Can someone give me the breakdown on proper procedure?

We're well into the negatives and it's not theft (as of yet), it's all been the team being messy with not keying advances. My ETL GE seems to be completely oblivious of process so I wanted some clarity.
so what's the issue? are they taking cash out and not logging it? are cash office team members not keying things correctly?

Have another c.o. question. Does anyone else have a problem with getting the LOD to check you out of the c.o.? Mine (STL especially) tells me to come on out and they will verify it later, which almost never happens. im responsible for that money til someone verifies it. Just irritates me.
that's rare.. the lod counts the safe at close to verify everything, but the cash office should be able to leave after they are done.

^This.
Once you're done & you've balanced ($0.00 adjustments), you should be good to go & should only call them up to secure the CO once you've left.
If the COTM didn't balance, they sometimes asked another CO-trained person or LOD to confirm their count before taking the adjustment. Sometimes an extra pair of eyes could pick up an error or something overlooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back