Archived Cashier (Coupons)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, today was my first cashier shift. I have a question about discounts I guess. When a guest has, let's say, four items and I scan them and they don't have the discount but the guest says "there was a sign (promotion) that said buy one, get one free where these were" what do I do? Guest Service Desk was busy with a big line of people returning stuff so I didn't want to bother them and I had a huge line behind me, so I just did a price change to $0.00 for two items since he was like "we are supposed to have these two for free since it was buy one get one free" but now I'm afraid I messed up. Should I just wait for Guest Service Desk next time? Should I have applied the coupons/discount on the computer (I remember there's a function for that).

TLDR; how do I apply a buy one get one free target coupon thing for promotions that are in store and don't show in the cash register? Thanks.

First press price inquiry and scan the item. It will tell you if there is an active promotion. If it shows nothing, as long as the offer sounds legit and isn't over your $20 empowerment you can go ahead and honor it just the way you did.

Usually what I do in that situation is:

1. Price Inquiry the item. There's a button on the keyboard right in between Enter and Total that says Proce Inquiry. Press it and then scan said item, if there is a promotion it'll pop up in the middle of the screen saying what they need for the promotion. Most of the time the guest just got the wrong item or is missing an item for the promotion to go through. If nothing pops up then-
2. Check the weekly ad. If there is any kind of promotion (especially BOGO) it'll most likely be in the ad. If it ISNT in the ad then-
3. Call your GSTL. Just flash your light and wait for the GSTL to come and just let them take it over from there.

Not saying that every guest is dishonest but being guest service, I have seen everything from a promotional sign the guest took a picture of on their phone from months ago to a guest having new items we just got that week with clearance stickers that belong to other items.

If it's a guest price challenge then go ahead and do it as long as the price difference is lower than what is allowed (at my store it's 10 dollars) but when it comes to buy one get one promotions, it's best to make sure and have the GSTL send someone to check so if there were a promo sign, they can take it down if it doesn't belong.

Last edited:
Great thanks guys! I'll definitely be more prepared next time and do as you guys suggested :)

Yeh, sketchy folks always zero in on the new cashiers because they don't know better & are easily intimidated.
But as soon as you mention calling a GSTL/GSA over, most will split.

Check the Inquiry mode. It is sometimes confusing the way it is written. In general try scanning 4, usually you will see it ends up being buy 3 get the 4th free. Void the extras and then ask if the guest still wants to purchase any of the items. Sometimes they say they will go back and check the sign. The problem is the sign reads in big print- free with purchase and then in print about 1/5 smaller it says with the purchase of 3. Same with the $5 gift card. I get guests all the time who try to say the sign says free gift card when you buy one $3.99 product. No its FREE GIFT CARD WITH PURCHASE when you buy 4 selected products. The small print isn't tiny but the big print is the part that is meant to catch the guests attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back