Archived Cashier Metrics for Crosstraining?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I ask my ETL-GE about crosstraining anywhere, she tells me that she'll have to check my metrics first before approving it. My speed is well above 90%, but she wants me to have a Redcard converstion rate of 1/100, and let's just say that my rate is...not that. I can't tell if this is legitimately why I'm not being considered for crosstraining, or if it's just an excuse. Hell, I can't even get officially approved for the service desk. I'm not sure what I can do, if anything, to speed things up. I've talked to every ETL and a whole bunch of TMs, but everybody seems to give me different information. Some say there are limited training hours, which I guess are separate from regular payroll. Others say there are no spaces anywhere, which is false. Another guy said I have to work a certain amount of months first, but HR told me at orientation that I could start crosstraining as early as my second month, Honestly, it feels like I'm going to be stuck in one area indefinitely, and that kind of makes me want to quit. There's no point in staying in a dead end job. Any advice?

Get on good terms with team leads. They can advocate for you to the ETL. It's easy to get shoe horned into being a cashier, I am sure your store is getting ready for seasonal hiring. That may be your way out.

Hang in there, let them know your HR know you are considering leaving. I always tell ETLS do we really want to lose this person and have to train someone brand new

The team leads are actually the ones less willing to let me crosstrain. The only supportive people are the ETL-HR and ETL-HL.

The team leads are actually the ones less willing to let me crosstrain. The only supportive people are the ETL-HR and ETL-HL.

Look at the hiring needs in TMSC. I can convince a ETL with needs to cross train when they can't fill a position.

Well, this thread is useless now. I spent most of my lunch break in the team lead office today. I went to speak to the STL and she was totally supportive of me training in other areas, and the ETL-HR even said that we have hours but not enough people to fill them, so I wound up getting a hardlines training shift for tomorrow! I even found out that some of the TLs want me on their team. It seems like the front-end management is in a completely different world, and what they were telling me was making me depressed and lowered my morale. I guess I was upset over nothing. Thanks for your help though!

Never pass up a chance to learn something new.

This I've found is the key. I began as a cashier in late 2014. I now can work/am scheduled for: cashier, hardlines, softlines, fitting room, food avenue, planogram, price accuracy, and ship from store. I'm learning a bit of backroom, guest service, etc. as I go along. I've never turned down an opportunity to learn something new/try something different even if its a bit out of my comfort zone, such as covering GSA/GSTL breaks at the front end. Take every chance that comes along and Spot will love you.

This I've found is the key. I began as a cashier in late 2014. I now can work/am scheduled for: cashier, hardlines, softlines, fitting room, food avenue, planogram, price accuracy, and ship from store. I'm learning a bit of backroom, guest service, etc. as I go along. I've never turned down an opportunity to learn something new/try something different even if its a bit out of my comfort zone, such as covering GSA/GSTL breaks at the front end. Take every chance that comes along and Spot will love you.
I would never turn down an opportunity to learn something new, and leadership knows that. The issue is that I haven't been given any opportunities until now.

Damn, today was a mess. I can see why HR was desperate enough to give me training hours today. We had a peak hour as soon as I came in, so I had about 2 minutes of training before being asked to get straight to doing reshop and CAF pulls. Later on my trainer stopped by to help me, so I wasn't completely lost by the end of the day. It was fun, though there was a lot of moving around. I broke a sweat from running back and forth from backing up at the checklanes. The only thing I didn't get to do was zone, but I don't really mind that. :p It was a fun experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back