Archived CEO Pay Watch: Target's Brian Cornell made $19.2 million in last fiscal year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the remodels are a smart idea. Target is a higher class, upscale alternative to Walmart in the minds of our guests so it makes sense for us to look the part. Target has something that the failing department stores don’t: low prices. Our prices are low today and every day, and you can get everything you need in a great looking store. At least that’s the goal and the message that corporate is trying to push in their marketing. I think the real problem is going to be convincing consumers that Target has competitive prices with Walmart and Amazon.
Prices at Target are not that low and a lot of the items are same quality as Walmart except they increased the price to make you think it's quality. For $30 I can get brand name shoes at Marshalls, Ross or Amazon versus crappy not worth more than $10 shoes. The remodel Target did makes them look like K-Mart.

"you can get everything you need in a great looking store" Not so much. The zones are a mess that you don't know what goes where anymore and as a shopper you can't tell the true price of an item. Shelves are empty. Items are in the backroom. Why? No team members. Why? No hours. Why? Payroll is tight. Why? Sales are rough? Why? Because you don't want to staff. Why? Trying to recover revenue for the remodel.

It is thanks to Brian that everyone will receive raises each year and that the company will be profitable. If he can do that for everyone I don't care if he gets paid 100 million dollars. People like to complain about how little they make compared to someone that makes decisions that impact 300,000 people. You are responsible for your self, he is responsible for 300,000 so I think he deserves a bit more money.

It is thanks to Brian that everyone will receive raises each year and that the company will be profitable. If he can do that for everyone I don't care if he gets paid 100 million dollars. People like to complain about how little they make compared to someone that makes decisions that impact 300,000 people. You are responsible for your self, he is responsible for 300,000 so I think he deserves a bit more money.

Going back a few years, but did the CEO at the time of the Canada blunder deserve his pay? If I remember correctly, it cost Target $11,000,000,000.

My dog could make better decisions than that.

So how much does he deserve in your opinion?

400 what the average worker makes? 4000 times more? 40,000 times more?

He only looks fairly good now because of the tremendous mistakes made prior to him AND because of the overall uptick in the economy. He's doing nothing groundbreaking. He's on autopilot.

Going back a few years, but did the CEO at the time of the Canada blunder deserve his pay? If I remember correctly, it cost Target $11,000,000,000.

My dog could make better decisions than that.

So how much does he deserve in your opinion?

400 what the average worker makes? 4000 times more? 40,000 times more?

He only looks fairly good now because of the tremendous mistakes made prior to him AND because of the overall uptick in the economy. He's doing nothing groundbreaking. He's on autopilot.
I do agree getting paid well over 10 million dollars is a bit excessive if the company is not doing well but at the same time what should we pay a CEO? If you don't think CEOs should make more than other people you believe the lies they tell you in school. "Everyone is important to a company, from the janitor to the CEO". It's true we need a CEO and we need someone to sweep the floors, however you can not say that a CEO is not a thousand times more valuable than a janitor. You get paid more for contributing more to the economy. People always see wages as being too high or too low so the number is subjective but the fact people get mad someone makes a lot of money for directing an entire company is crazy to me.

What should we pay CEOs?

NOT 10 million dollars!!!

He certainly made decisions that impacted me. No more insurance, slashed hours, decimated teams. His pants go on the way everyone else’s do. And I’m guessing he doesn’t have a nearly empty fridge, an elderly parent to try to support, special needs kids or two other jobs to go to to get forty hours. Just sayin’

Last edited:
I am not smart at math either but let’s say we get a 10 percent return every year so the first would be 650 + 65 = 715. So I’m just guess maybe after 30 years it would be around 60,000 ?? That’s still only enough to retire for maybe 2 years in the year 2048.

You should be able to compare to my situation.

Year 0 = $20,000 (that was what I started with).
Year 18 = $90,000 (I did not add a single penny after the $20,000 went in. It was all gains and compound interest.)

Besides, you should be putting in exactly the amount that Target matches at the minimum. I think that it is 5%. So, put in 5% and get 10%. That's a 100% gain plus whatever the market gains as well.

If you make $20,000 a year at Target, you would take out $1,000 a year. Target would contribute $1,000 as well. (I might be wrong on the matching %, somebody in HR or that read the benefits recently would know.)

You will also pay less in taxes, as this is pre-tax money. So, the overall net money on your checks would not be $1,000 less, it might be closer to $900 less or maybe $800 depending on your tax situation.

Your 401K is not your only retirement, it should supplement your retirement.

Hello Brian

Where's our bonus? We're the reason your stores are open! We do all the modern day slave work. When are you giving us a bonus so we can actually shop where we work.
If all the team members and their families and friends stoped shopping at target for one year that would definitely hurt Target where it counts in the Cornell.

If all the team members and their families and friends stoped shopping at target for one year that would definitely hurt Target where it counts in the Cornell.

If I did not work there, I'd not shop there. Everything that we sell is comparably priced at any competitor.

He certainly made decisions that impacted me. No more insurance, slashed hours, decimated teams. His pants go on the way everyone else’s do. And I’m guessing he doesn’t have a nearly empty fridge, an elderly parent to try to support, special needs kids or two other jobs to go to to get forty hours. Just sayin’

Recently my STL and an ETL were marveling (lack of better word) at how much our store goes through bread and peanut butter. They were basically snickering as they thought it would be fun to track just that expense for a year. Dumbasses! It's because your TMs are genuinely hungry. I don't know anyone that is over the age of 7 that thinks "Hey, I've got a taste for a peanut butter sandwich, "

Done with my side rant and back to topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back