Archived Challenge upward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquid7

PMT (former, signing and pricing/Plano TL)
What's the best way to get my ETLs to stop dumping in my fixture room?

Let the mess build up, and let your ETL know that people keep dumping shit in there and you don't yet have time to clean it up. Even if he's guilty of it too, pretend you don't know that. Also, start mentioning at huddles that TMs need to make sure they make time to clean up.

If nothing changes, keep letting it build up and keep mentioning it to your ETL. Eventually someone will get hurt and AP will lose their shit and get some help to clean it up.

Weekly or every 2 week updates with recognition and call outs. Turn it into an action plan, get all ETL's involved and invested. Have a clear cut end goal(Improving safety score, improving plano set times, etc). Eventually they'll start cleaning up after themselves so they don't get a weekly call out. See if you can pop into the ETL meeting every now and then to give them an update. Get ETL-AP or whomever is your safety captain heavily involved. You might even be able to get your FM-BP or AP-BP involved, depending on what your safety scores are. A clean fixture room is a safe fixture room.

An example email would look something like this

"Hey Team! Another great week for keeping our fixture room SAFE and CLEAN! I'd grade us as a green for this week.

Transitions set on time -
Team Member Injury Count -

This week our signing ninja focused on making sure that side cap fixtures are organized, not broken, and all in the same spot. All extra shelving/sidecaps are now over by "whatever"

Next week we'll be working cosmetics fixtures. Please let us know if you noticed something needs to be ordered or switched out.

STL - Shout out for mentioning fixture room safety during the huddle! THANK YOU!
ETL1 - Thank you for cleaning up the shelving after you flexed that endcap!
ETL2 - Saw a shopping cart with your name on it overnight. Can you get that done by today? Thanks
Softlines TL - I know we had a huge RTW reset next week, the convertible fixtures are still sitting on the floor next to the softlines section. Can you get that on your next shift?
ETL3 - Thank you for having the team put away their 7x11 holders/fixtures after signing take down!

etc etc"

Remember, keep it light, fluffy, positive, but still mentioning areas where an ETL can improve. Don't leave anybody out, even if they did something small like put away a peg. Each ETL/TL should expect to see their name every week with some kind of comment.

Use this as part of your goal plan and this situation can make an great interview answer.

Make it their problem, or they won't care. For example, our LOD team used to encourage TMs to dump off random fixtures at guest services when it was closer than the fixture room. Well, I got tired of the stuff building up, so I keep a small basket back there for it. When it's ful, the basket goes back with the defectives (which the LOD takes care of in my store).

A few times of the same LOD getting stuck with that basket, and they make darn sure every TM they can find knows not to drop fixtures off at guest services.

If they aren't inconvenienced by it, nothing will change. So make sure they are inconvenienced by it and it will be fixed pronto.

I lock mine after arduous cleaning. Then let the aptl know. Anything dumped between shifts she checks the cameras and the tl and/or tm involved get reamed. We're red for safety this year, so it's no joke, lol.

I did constant huddle safety meetings and would bring out carts/baskets/shelves that had been been dumped in the fixture room pretending total befuddlement as to who had left them there.
Then I would do a very long, careful instruction on how one should hang up shelves complete with step by step instructions and where to put away fixtures and how to read the bin pictures.
Sarcasm can be your greatest weapon.

I call them out on it. I will call anyone in the store out on the walkie once I find out where it came from. This includes the STL. "SL TL?" "Go ahead" "can you come back to the fixture room and clean up the tub your team left back here?" That normally gets their attention. I have put my STL's name on a cart before and left it there for them to put away. I'm not a maid. If it gets bad I will bring everyone back there after the huddle to clean it up. I have also asked for hours to clean it if it's out of control and I don't want everyone in there cleaning it. Talk to your ETL about it and let them know what is going on and why you need help maintaining it. Hopefully they listen to you and get on board with keeping it clean.

I also have told ETL's before that if they want the team to clean up after themselves that they need to do the same. I can't expect a HL TM to put their fixtures away if the ETLs aren't.b

Can someone explain what "Challening upward" is supposed to mean? I never fully understood this.

Challenging your leadership through Best Practices, corp directives, etc.
Benign example: Say your ETL wants you to keep all your extra holiday product on a pallet in the fire aisle "So it's easily accessible".
You could challenge them because of fire code "Pretty sure the fire marshal & the DTL wouldn't approve of that & it would be in everyone else's way. I'm sure we could find some place better."

Can someone explain what "Challening upward" is supposed to mean? I never fully understood this.
Spouting target speak back at them.

ETL: I notice you and the other PA spent almost an hour in the fridges/freezers today but didn't push or backstock anything...
Me: We were statusing on the transition in the bunker, setting up some short date alerts for the big push of yogurt that came for the endcap salesplanner but hasn't sold and accessing our onhands for the upcoming holiday. *innocent look*

Spouting target speak back at them.

ETL: I notice you and the other PA spent almost an hour in the fridges/freezers today but didn't push or backstock anything...
Me: We were statusing on the transition in the bunker, setting up some short date alerts for the big push of yogurt that came for the endcap salesplanner but hasn't sold and accessing our onhands for the upcoming holiday. *innocent look*

Genius.

image.jpeg I've tried partnering with AP. That lasted a week. Then we had a visit and they flexed seasonal and dumped like 20 shelves on tubs in there and pegs in baskets. They tried to say it was presentation but I showed the STL the strips in the shelves. It didn't help... I've cleaned that room, myself, 4 times now. The last time was in October 2015. The last time I cleaned it. I literally removed 10 tubs and carts! I don't even know how it all fit in there. I've tried calling out ETLs. Nope. They just say they will take care of it and push it in there and forget it. Lost cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back