Archived Challenge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new ETL told me to challenge my backroom. He said EXF doesn’t pull everything so I need to challenge it. What the heck does that mean??

The only way I can explain this is that Target is not perfect neither are we. Product will be pulled from the backroom, freight will roll off the truck to be pushed to the floor. Or freight will be physically on a backroon shelf but not located and who knows how long it's been unlocated or never located at all.

What your ETL is asking of you is to see if whatever freight that is being sent to backstock from those 2 processes is "truly backstock." Meaning that you physically see that no more can safely fit in the home location or secondary location (Endcap/ Sales Plan). Capacities can be spot on or terribly wrong but we now have the capability to change it in the My Device. So by your ETL asking you to "Challenge" is basically ensuring freight is pushed correctly or backstocked correctly, IMO. Not sure if this helped you understand "challenge" but I tell my team to challenge all the time. This is the only way I will get the floor full and shoppable for a guest.

Last edited:
Remember when the PDA would challenge backstock for you? "Are you sure you want to backstock this item?" Then you'd automatically know to re-push it to the floor to check dual locations. Even had the Challenge clips to put on those vehicles. Now they sit unused.

Technically everyone is correct, that's what "challenge" means (rechecking backstock) but I think he wants you to actually pull things from the backroom aisles to see if it will go out. He doesn't trust the system, and his way of fixing it is to ask you to do a lot of physical work for little payoff.
If your team is keeping BRLA green and shooting audits on the floor like they should, it works.

Technically everyone is correct, that's what "challenge" means (rechecking backstock) but I think he wants you to actually pull things from the backroom aisles to see if it will go out. He doesn't trust the system, and his way of fixing it is to ask you to do a lot of physical work for little payoff.
If your team is keeping BRLA green and shooting audits on the floor like they should, it works.

Also double check Capacities and SFQs.

That has been helping my area to become fuller.

Remember when the PDA would challenge backstock for you? "Are you sure you want to backstock this item?" Then you'd automatically know to re-push it to the floor to check dual locations. Even had the Challenge clips to put on those vehicles. Now they sit unused.
myWork 1.0 did it tool, but not as often. We actually got new Challenge clips in recently, and I had to laugh because it's not like these "owners" are going to challenge their own backstock, whether it actually would go out or not.

Sounds like they want you to purge, not challenge.

You can drop manuals and select purge as the fill type. You can do purge pulls by auditing locations (LOCU) and just push everything out of the back (though that won't adjust on floor counts).

Is auditing the only way to drop a fill for outs and lows?
Also my backstock is full and I can’t stand it. I do EXFs (fill to depth) and POG (fill to sales floor capacity) fills every few days. I feel like it’s not pulling enough tho.
I have found items that haven’t been stowed at all. So when I come across those I fix them.
On the floor I’m checking capacities and have found some way off so I’m also fixing those.
Anything else I should be doing?
(Training is non existent so I’m figuring it out on my own w the help of you guys 😊)

You guys need to first do the 12 steps in your own backroom aisles thats' the only way.
copy/paste from a different thread:

Lazy said:
1.has item merge been completed
2. Is daily audit done.
3.empty location audit
4.labels scannable
5.profile accurate
6.wrong fillgroups pulled
7.correct fillgroup paper up.
8.nop pulled and mysuporrted.
9.stuff that's been there forever pulled and pushed??
10.partial casepacks pulled and stod correctly
11.low and pro
12.and overstock identified and plan to do with it.

Sure that's all of them and think 9 is right. These are the "steps"... Just might not be in the right order

Honestly, purging everything *might* be a good choice. Or doing POG fills.

Just keep an eye out for baffles, capacities, out dates, and SFQs.

Purging would be better for Fan Central.

It all depends upon your area, your team (pushing to the piece? Back stocking correctly?) and the status of your back room. And how your back room looked these past few months.

Last edited:

Baby Hardlines?

I would purge anything small from WACOs in the backroom-- baby food, baby bath/lotions, sippy cups, etc.

Purge = bring all the open stock items out of the back room one section (or shelf) at a time. Use the AUDIT function to clear out the product from the locations from the WACOs. Push "everything to the piece," and then backstock the rest, being mindful of how many DPCIs are in a WACO, and try to keep similar looking items in separate WACOs.

Shoot EXFs for the big items - car seats, strollers, etc.

Make sure capacities are correct and SFQs... adjust as needed using the EXF function of MyWork.

--

I would zone the aisle before PURGING. It's easy for baby food pouches (or sippy cups, or bottles, or lotions) to get mixed up. Much easier to purge if the zone is correct.

I would either start with the lightest aisle on the salesfloor --- the aisle that is the most empty.

OR

I would check out your backroom, and start PURGING the aisle that has the most product filling up the WACOs.

Once WACOs are purged for a Back room aisle, I would use EXF to fill to bring out any case stock. OR you can start purging all of your case stock....

I know that in my area, it would be more productive to shoot EXFs to pull casestock and than to PURGE ALL of the case stock. aka - a lot of the case stock would still be back stock, so I would waste my time PURGING it, and would have to re- back stock most of it.

Last edited:
Yes all of baby hardlines is my area.
How many dpcis should be in a Waco? 2/3 in the small and 3/4 in the next size up?
My zone looks great, it’s my backroom that’s out of control. Ha.
What do I do w items I find that are old and we no longer carry them? Can they go on a clearance end cap?

How many dpcis should be in a Waco? 2/3 in the small and 3/4 in the next size up?
What do I do w items I find that are old and we no longer carry them? Can they go on a clearance end cap?
Are they clearance? Or do they show $0.00 when scanned in MyWork?

Only clearance goes on a clearance endcap. D-code is NOT clearance.

I either make a d-code space on an endcap.... ie dog food on a dog food endcap.
or - I make space in the aisle & store tie if needed - if there is a bunch.... ie Cereal. Take a facing away from a "active" cereal item and flex in the "d-code" or "No Locs" cereal into that now empty facing.

Sometimes I can squeeze in an extra item on the baby car seats or strollers or high chairs by changing the way the boxes are facing... upright, or on their side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back