Archived Changing TL Position Before 18 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in role for roughly a year as Salesfloor team lead. I've been told before that after 18 months you can switch work centers (if you're performing well obviously).

APTL will be opening up soon and the current one thinks I'm the best fit (which to be fair I certainly am) and he's going way above and beyond to try to help me fill his spot. He's going to talk to the Group ap leader before he talks to anyone in the store.

I REALLY want this but with all the end to end crap going on and no really good candidates to fill my spot I don't know if my etl will even humor the idea.

Does anyone know how switching roles before 18 months works? The ETL can't really say "we can't do it" because a team lead switched roles after like 6 months while I was in store. I know I'll have the recommendations from the current APTL and I've been the most actively involved in AP since I've become team lead but I'm nervous the etls and stl will allow it.

it's really up to the STL and/or above. it's not best practice, so your STL would have to make a significant case in your favor. You have to consider it's a lot of movement as well. there will be two new leaders new in role instead of one. Not saying it can't or won't be done, but it's not typical.

I moved from Starbucks Team lead to hardlines team lead under 7 months - but I was also in a place where Starbucks was basically running itself and my back fill was fully trained and could easily take over.
It may just come down to if there is somebody that could actually take over.
You'll have to have a good case to move and someone ready otherwise that's a lot of training coming up. Depends if your store wants to do that much before 4th quarter?

Definitely depends on the needs of the store. AP needs specialized skills and previous experience would be a plus, I would think. It might also depend on how easy your position would be to fill and what outside candidates there might be.

Exceptions can be made but it generally takes DTL approval. Unfortunately someone on their way out like your APTL will have no sway. We have had several people try to pick their successors and that often leads to leadership going another direction

We have someone like you hoping to move. He was told not until after q4 so we ended up hiring a new sltl

Last edited:
I moved after 3 months, but that was only at the request of my STL.

I moved to GSTL after 6 months of PATL. It was half they were down a GSTL right before Black Friday and I had the experience having done it before for three years, and half I just wasn't working out in Price Change (I wasn't fond of it and it was affecting my work. That's a long story for another day...) So it really does depend on the individual situation.

I moved from PPTL to GSTL after eight months, but it was part of a leadership change for the whole store-they moved us all around. I didn't really get much of a choice as to where I went, thankfully I like the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back