Check free in-store Debit Red card application coming soon?

Rumor has it that they are working on a "no blank check needed" option for accepting Debit Red card applications in store. Can any of you verify? I am all about the Debit card and my numbers (and the stores) would definitely go up was this an option. It would be so awesome to have this in place before the pending onslaught.

Rumor has it that they are working on a "no blank check needed" option for accepting Debit Red card applications in store. Can any of you verify? I am all about the Debit card and my numbers (and the stores) would definitely go up was this an option. It would be so awesome to have this in place before the pending onslaught.
I really doubt this is happening. Target needs a way to charge your account and the only real way to get that kind of info is if you do it online and login through your bank or with a black check with your routing and account number. Something that I could see them working on is just a little iPad with an online way to register for a RedCard but the problem with this is since the data breach a while ago Target has been a lot of risk-free from fraud so it would be really bad PR if it goes bad.

I really doubt this is happening. Target needs a way to charge your account and the only real way to get that kind of info is if you do it online and login through your bank or with a black check with your routing and account number. Something that I could see them working on is just a little iPad with an online way to register for a RedCard but the problem with this is since the data breach a while ago Target has been a lot of risk-free from fraud so it would be really bad PR if it goes bad.
They definitely need to figure something out because very few people carry checks on them anymore

Target obviously has probably been pretty hesitant to make changes to RedCard since their data breach. Making signups easier such as in-app signups or checkless can definitely pose security risks Target is being careful to consider. I think they know they need to modernize their signup process and reduce the barrier to entry here. As well as continue to push to offer more incentives to keep people using the card as well as attract new guests to the card. I think Target is having a problem where many people are interested but the signup process is to complex and the incentives aren’t clear. I’m interested to see how they solve these problems.

Nearly every (modern) bank has a mobile app with the ability to pull up the routing/account numbers. These could be manually entered into the card reader as the guest goes through the application. No different than entering SSN or any of the other information needed.

Nearly every (modern) bank has a mobile app with the ability to pull up the routing/account numbers. These could be manually entered into the card reader as the guest goes through the application. No different than entering SSN or any of the other information needed.
Tah...but without a check that has a person's name at a minimum, and hopefully address, a person could be entering anybody's banking info. 🤷‍♀️

Tah...but without a check that has a person's name at a minimum, and hopefully address, a person could be entering anybody's banking info. 🤷‍♀️
However the cashier enters the ID information to prevent stolen IDs (picture doesn’t match) and allows Target to verify that information with the bank.. I don’t know exactly though

It's not likely that someone would open a target card with stolen info. You would need the bank account number and routing info, the ID, and the guest's social security #. To enter all that as stolen info, I would think they would rather do it online than in store where there are cameras.

I was going to say banking information security but people already put their full social in the POS so I don't really know. What would be left is confirming that it is that guest.
But online doesn't do that. You don't scan your license and then take a picture of your face.

I can't think of a single security step so important a check is needed. If applying online is so simple and does not require physical documentation then why shouldn't in person match exactly?

But online doesn't do that. You don't scan your license and then take a picture of your face.

I can't think of a single security step so important a check is needed. If applying online is so simple and does not require physical documentation then why shouldn't in person match exactly?
I feel like Target can easily improve the signup flow at the checkout lanes. First of all, it would speed up the process and make the lane available again for checkout. Second, it would encourage more guests to signup if all they needed was their license. I don't know the best way to link their checking acct. to the application without guests having to input routing/acct. numbers which no one would remember. Maybe they could complete the registration process at checkout and possibly later link the checking acct. online/ during card activation.

I don't see that many security implications but I'm certainly not an expert in banking/information security. Any ACH clearings that arent recognized could still be disputed with your bank for potential fraud.

Many other retailers let you signup for store cards directly in their mobile app. The fact that Target doesn't have this baffles me.

I don't know the best way to link their checking acct. to the application without guests having to input routing/acct. numbers which no one would remember.
Step 1 - pull out phone.
Step 2 - sign into online banking.
Step 3 - touch the spot on the app that shows your routing and account numbers.
Step 4 - while having the online banking app open, punch in the numbers.

The exact same process as applying online.

As a GSA who is pretty good at getting people to sign up, it would be so much better for Target and the guests if it was easier to sign up for the debit card. I'm good at my pitch (and not too pushy) and I get at least 10 guests a day to say "yes", but 90% of them want to do the debit. If they could just insert their debit card to link it I'd seriously get like 10 a day for my store.

I understand there's data breach concerns above my pay grade, but it's frustrating to get 10 "yes" per day and having to tell them "no, sorry I can't help you" afterwards.

With the way the system works a bank debit card would be useless. The debit red card doesn't retrieve their money by running a card as credit. They retrieve if by writing a virtual version of an old fashioned check.

And you do not want your banking information to be retrievable from your card. Theft or loss, you'd not just have to cancel your card, you'd have to open a new checking account.

Thanks for the explanation. You're right that being able to sign up with a debit swipe would be a bad idea.

If it's possible, it would be nice if they could pull up their routing/account numbers on their phone and be able to enter them on the PIN pad as part of the signup process.

Thanks for the explanation. You're right that being able to sign up with a debit swipe would be a bad idea.

If it's possible, it would be nice if they could pull up their routing/account numbers on their phone and be able to enter them on the PIN pad as part of the signup process.
even this might be a bad idea. The way the red debit works is its gets your banking information through your actual banking login.

even this might be a bad idea. The way the red debit works is its gets your banking information through your actual banking login.
Didn't for me. When I went online I typed in account and routing number and mostly that was it for the bank portion.

Signing up online is easy. Why can't signing up in store be just as easy using the same information?

Didn't for me. When I went online I typed in account and routing number and mostly that was it for the bank portion.

Signing up online is easy. Why can't signing up in store be just as easy using the same information?
Oh really? From what I remember it wanted to login to my Bank Of America account through a provider.

Back