Christmas transition

So I'm shopping at my local target and noticed half the Halloween shelves are either empty or 30% off clarence. Is anyone else getting ready for Christmas in the seasonal area?

Its odd that we're doing it before halloween passes.

Yes, we're in the middle of doing it. We have no choice, because we have too much palletized christmas stuff all over the backroom. The top of the steel is full of that stuff.

We're still missing some gandolas for seasonal, so I wonder how badly winter will be setup.

Started setting yesterday. Set but empty until tomorrow night. They are super picky about filling the new holiday before the current holiday around here. It's like fucking pulling teeth every damn time to get them to let me do anything productive. They don't understand how Halloween sells down around here and want the opposite set first which makes more work.

Our STL spent a shitton of time throughout the season dicking around in seasonal. Did it during BTS too.

I mean the stuff has sold down considerably, such that all of Halloween completely fit into miniseasonal.

Our STL spent a shitton of time throughout the season dicking around in seasonal. Did it during BTS too.

I mean the stuff has sold down considerably, such that all of Halloween completely fit into miniseasonal.

That is super impressive! Our costumes never sell down enough before Halloween to be able to do that. The candy, however, will be completely gone in the next 24 hours. I am adamant about not undoing mini since it's basically set up for Christmas candy already. I'd rather set it so when all the candy comes in, it can go right to the floor. Which is what I am told we are supposed to be doing everywhere else in the store but somehow those rules don't apply in seasonal. 🤷🏻‍♀️

We started putting out Christmas plastic tubs a couple of weeks ago and have begun the “real” set today in seasonal. We are also doing it overnight
I’m GM in Home and I’ve started end caps and the flat

That is super impressive! Our costumes never sell down enough before Halloween to be able to do that. The candy, however, will be completely gone in the next 24 hours. I am adamant about not undoing mini since it's basically set up for Christmas candy already. I'd rather set it so when all the candy comes in, it can go right to the floor. Which is what I am told we are supposed to be doing everywhere else in the store but somehow those rules don't apply in seasonal. 🤷🏻‍♀️
We’ve got nothing and I mean nothing left.... and our DSD said under no circumstance can we set earlier than store close 10/31. It makes me sad

We’ve got nothing and I mean nothing left.... and our DSD said under no circumstance can we set earlier than store close 10/31. It makes me sad

This is usually the line I get from our DSD. I was amazed when he gave the ok to set but leave it empty. Halloween must not sell very well here in my part of MN. The only part we sell thru really well by Halloween night is the candy. Everything else is slow but steady until PLU hits. And even then, costumes are tough until it hits 90% off.

This is usually the line I get from our DSD. I was amazed when he gave the ok to set but leave it empty. Halloween must not sell very well here in my part of MN. The only part we sell thru really well by Halloween night is the candy. Everything else is slow but steady until PLU hits. And even then, costumes are tough until it hits 90% off.
That’s fair. We were told no but my SD still told us to set some stuff just not push so I was sort of okay with it. My SD wanted to just push it but had a feeling we were getting a group visit today and what do you know... the whole group showed up to see our Q4 plans and was happy to see we were one of the few stores that didn’t start pushing yet. Dodged a bullet on that one.

We were going to start setting tonight but other stores in our area got in deep shit for setting early so that's out lol

And even then, costumes are tough until it hits 90% off.

We have a pair of ladies that come through as soon as costumes hit 90% and buy the lot. I assume they're consignment salers or something like that.

We have paper & fixtures up for about a third of Christmas as of yesterday, and some random endcaps, and I don't doubt they're setting now.

The whole staggered tree lot is so stupid. Like who thought of this idea? It doesn't have any benefits and everyone is like why are the tables crooked?!

The whole staggered tree lot is so stupid. Like who thought of this idea? It doesn't have any benefits and everyone is like why are the tables crooked?!

My store set straight despite being a staggered store.

DTL approved of it when he saw.

Corporate did no favors this year. I swear they give two shits about what a headache it is to teardown every aisle to remove or change gondos. It's not something that can just happen. The amount of time and efficiency wasted on moving product from one location to another (whether condensing or just in the case of lightss, moving full sets).

And the time frame of being set by Sat. Bullshit. I started Wed night. Spent last night condensing into Mini and will spend tonight setting everything from Trees to decor. Then hoping everything sells in mini to set Mini on Monday.

So many costumes! Ain't setting the stocking aisle, that's full of kid's costumes. Thankfully the weather has been shit. So halloween trick-or-treating is moved to Sat. That might help.

Corporate did no favors this year. I swear they give two shits about what a headache it is to teardown every aisle to remove or change gondos. It's not something that can just happen. The amount of time and efficiency wasted on moving product from one location to another (whether condensing or just in the case of lightss, moving full sets).

And the time frame of being set by Sat. Bullshit. I started Wed night. Spent last night condensing into Mini and will spend tonight setting everything from Trees to decor. Then hoping everything sells in mini to set Mini on Monday.

So many costumes! Ain't setting the stocking aisle, that's full of kid's costumes. Thankfully the weather has been shit. So halloween trick-or-treating is moved to Sat. That might help.

I cannot love your comments more! I was so tempted to just walk out today because of the asinine way they want this all set by Saturday. Why, yes, I'd love to tear down shelves in a basically set gondola in mini just to hang fucking costumes nobody will buy even at 99% off. Great use of time.

But....I pulled up my big girl panties and played along. My sanity is not going to be lost to these yahoos.

I somehow got out of setting seasonal last year, and forgot what a joy it is. The baptism of glitter and flocking. Alternating between sneezing and feeling like you need to sneeze. Spending an hour putting up monogrammed/named ornaments. Guests asking if we have the things that haven't been set yet (yes, but they're buried on a pallet and I'm not digging them out for you, Karen, come back tomorrow or put in an OPU order once the aisles get set for good)...

Back