Archived Cleaning house of Team Leads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Age wise, we're older than a lot of the TM's we work with, but a fair amount younger than some of the TL's. At least the ones that have been in position a while. We're roughly about the same age (give or take a few years) as a majority of our respective ETLs though.

I know that has been some discussion, (or at least mention) of why would someone with a degree want to do the low-paying job of a TL. While I haven't read every page in this thread, I can tell you that sometimes, even with a degree, we just can't find a better damned job. I graduated college, and I needed to have some income coming in (because the bills aren't going to stop), and I couldn't wait for my "dream job" to come around. Target was the only place I applied to that called me back. I'm just a TM.

My wife graduated college a few months after me, and she's got a Master's Degree. Again, her assistantship was over, and we needed more income coming in, and likewise, she applied at Target (hoping something better might come along), and again, they were the only one that called her back. She is also only a TM. Her store seems dead set against her even trying to move up to TL.

I'm not suggesting that having a degree makes either of us better than anyone else, but its frustrating and disheartening that with our education, this is the best we can do. Not that Spot is an awful place to work, it just seems like we wasted our time, and our money trying to improve ourselves when nothing else better is coming along. Its a blow to our own morale. We have jobs, and we're grateful for them...sometimes you have to take what you can get. An education is never a guarantee of a better job. TL pay may suck compared to what we could be making elsewhere...but if elsewhere doesn't want us...then what are we going to do?

Though, back on topic, it would be idiotic if they did away with the TM's we already have at my store in favor of those who have degrees.

(sorry for the long rant)

That sucks... have you considered moving? I know the economy isn't great, but someone with a Masters shouldn't have to settle for a minimum wage job, even in this economy. I'm sure the two of you have looked online, but seriously, look for somewhere else to move to (if you can). I hear Texas is doing relatively well, as is the northwest (Oregon/Washington).

We actually moved where we live now so she could get her degree. Her school gave her a free ride scholarship and a paid assistantship. We have kids and have already settled in. We can't keep moving them around for the sake of our egos.

Nah, folks in TX aren't doing any better no matter what Rick Perry says.

Welcome back Spike! I totally agree with you and would like some advice. I know that I work hard and always try my best, so what's the best approach to use to sleep with a high ranking executive and what rank would be the best? Do you think that they would pay for travel time? :diablo:

I would think that a Group Director would be high enough, but even that could be a bit risky. Why not go for a Regional Vice-President? That should keep you safe for a few years.

As for the company paying for travel time...no, but you might get a free 20oz soda or a Spot T-Shirt for your services!!!

We actually moved where we live now so she could get her degree. Her school gave her a free ride scholarship and a paid assistantship. We have kids and have already settled in. We can't keep moving them around for the sake of our egos.

I respect you for that. Don't give up, things can change in a heartbeat. I wish both of you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back