Closing Expert Tips?

I'm a Team Member in XXX department at my store but recently I've been working to move up within Target.
I first was labeled as a Pace Setter and then a Team Trainer and finally, I decided it was time to talk to my SD about switching to a different role within the store where I could learn more to eventually become a full-fledged TL one day.
My ETL has also told me in the past that I was one of the ones in a "Pipeline" of Team Members they had on the bench to start training to be Team Leads.
So my SD offered me a few different roles within the store that he/she thought would be good for me until they got to the role of Closing Expert. I then asked what the Closing Expert role was...

The way my SD explained it was the Closing Expert role is a direct extension of the closing Team Lead which is then a direct extension of the SD for the store.
He/She explained that at our store the Closing Expert role is respected as a sort of Team lead even though officially it is not, and he/she thought that the position would be good for me to move up as a stepping stone to becoming a Team Lead.
At our store, we only have one Closing Expert which is Monday - Friday + weekends off.
There are of course the usual closers for each department, but there is only one Closing Expert.
Along with this, I was guaranteed 40+ hours a week, but unfortunately no pay raise.
After going over everything with the SD I decided I wanted to take the position and got it on the spot, I was then put on the schedule for the upcoming weeks.

Are there any Closing Experts out there who have any tips & tricks for me in this new role? Or anyone in general who has any pointers that would be useful for doing my new role as best as possible?
I gave a little background on how our store uses the role in case maybe that helps.
I know ASANTS and different stores use the Closing Expert role in different ways but if anyone has any advice that would be epic. Thanks in advance!

Careful for what you wish for. Closing expert is someone who can work in every area with no extra pay. You may have some nights stuck in flex or cashiering half the night.
There is no guarantee on the 40 hours every week, as a Tm. Maybe 32 to 35 hours a week.
In January, hours go down to almost nothing.

Last edited:
Careful for what you wish for. Closing expert is someone who can work in every area with no extra pay. There is no guarantee on the 40 hours every week, as a Tm. Maybe 32 to 35 hours a week.
In January, hours go down to almost nothing.
I am trained globally around the store, I know how to do 90% of the roles within the store, and anything I don't know how to do I plan to learn.
In the department I am in now I get around 30-35 hours a week, so hopefully, the hours will stay close to the same or more than my current role.
The SD did say he/she usually puts more than the allotted hours into the role hopefully this is true.

I am aware of the Q1 hour drops, it hit hard this past year. Sadly that affects just about everybody in the store. :(
If this role gets me a step closer to that TL position then I'll do what needs to be done.

Some details.
Thank you for this.
This actually makes sense why the SD said it would be a Monday-Friday and not S-T that must be because our store Closing TL works Monday-Friday. Our store doesn't have a Closing ETL only a TL that's directly under the SD.

Last edited:
Make certain that training for all areas is done on workday for all areas. Spot will look for that.
Is this something you think they will assign me to do in Workday? I have not received any actual training yet for the role and I start soon! 😬 I mean I have a pretty good idea of what I'm gonna be doing but still.

It is kind of the catch all role. They basically just fill the gap that is needed each night. Flex, pulls, reshop, covering call outs, whatever. Is it a good role for becoming a TL really depends on the store. You work closely with your tl but it can be limiting with exposure to other etls who may be looking for a tl to fill a role. Make sure you are showing leadership potential and not just being a hard worker.

Hahaha....I have never considered the closing expert to be a "sort of TL". It is a come in for 4 hours, finish whatever freight is left, hurry and do go-backs and oh, yes zone, and oh hey, we need you now because fulfillment is slammed. The actual ETLs of the store will never know you or see you... only the Closing TL and then that job is just as thankless, IMO. Also there are closing experts scheduled every night of the week so kinda interesting that you would follow the TL schedule so closely.

in my experience when I have been offered tips I reject gracefully and ask that they give me a good review instead via the receipt. sometimes they are elderly i just tell them to mention my name to the manager up front.

No tips regardless of shift. Target generally forbids accepting tip, talk to your leader, might be ASANTS
Classic case of reading the title and not the post, lol. They meant tips as in "suggestions".

And target changed the tipping policy lately, you can take it if you refuse it at first.

Hahaha....I have never considered the closing expert to be a "sort of TL". It is a come in for 4 hours, finish whatever freight is left, hurry and do go-backs and oh, yes zone, and oh hey, we need you now because fulfillment is slammed. The actual ETLs of the store will never know you or see you... only the Closing TL and then that job is just as thankless, IMO. Also there are closing experts scheduled every night of the week so kinda interesting that you would follow the TL schedule so closely.
We don't have other Experts in specific departments just the usual closers that rotate around based on scheduling.
Our store only has one true Closing Expert and it's an 8 hour shift M-F not 4Hr.
It's kinda like come in for 3 leave at store close or when the Closing TL leaves for the night.

Imo i would choose a different role for trying to become a tl. Unless your SD really wants you as a closing expert. Make sure you are going to be given opportunities to lead if you do.
I knew the last Closing Expert before me and I know they had them do tasks like run small teams for working on xxx project and make break schedules, things of this nature.
Pretty much whatever situation the Closing TL needed them to handle they handled it.

I think the SD does need me in the role because the next day I was on the schedule 😂.
I think he/she is trying to hurry and get me on board for the Nov-Dec & Jan months.

I am trained globally around the store, I know how to do 90% of the roles within the store, and anything I don't know how to do I plan to learn.
In the department I am in now I get around 30-35 hours a week, so hopefully, the hours will stay close to the same or more than my current role.
The SD did say he/she usually puts more than the allotted hours into the role hopefully this is true.

I am aware of the Q1 hour drops, it hit hard this past year. Sadly that affects just about everybody in the store. :(
If this role gets me a step closer to that TL position then I'll do what needs to be done.
Closing experts in my store are scheduled 6-10pm

All dbos except paper chem hba work mid shifts and have to zone and do their own reshop. So closers get tiny shifts after dbos leave.

Last edited:
Closing Experts at our store are just regular TM's that fill in anywhere, as needed, and zone/reshop. Someone calls off in B? You're pushing flats of crock pots. Same with market, Seasonal, cashier, tech, Fulfillment. Etc. Jack of all trades. The only nice part is I never saw her go below 35hrs and if they did cut they always made sure that they gave her hours in fulfillment to make up for it.

If you're looking to be a closing TL the expert job will be a great basis to apply for that one. Also I imagine most stores have a hard time staffing the closing TL position (ours always does) so it would be an easy one to slide into with knowing the whole store + being the closing expert anyway.

Back