Closing leads

SD and HR ETL have offices. ETLs and some TLs (former Sr. TLs) have cubicles. Other TLs have an open "desk" area (counter along wall).

Closing TL is a starter position on my store. They are alone for only 3 or 4 hours, and just make sure we don't burn down.

In our store the closing lead is like an ETL without the pay. Basically once the other leads leave they manage the entire store and deal with guest issues, and anything else that pops up. They also report directly to the SD unlike other leads. Some stores use this position as “just someone to lock the doors at night and make sure the building doesn’t burn down”, but a good closing lead is so much more. It’s a great position to fast track to ETL promotion.

Our district uses it as development position. Although during initial roll out of the position I heard the company was telling SDs to find TLs that we happy staying in that position long term. We report directly with the SD (we all know this) and it’s a test of can you find partnership with the other TLs while still holding them accountable... letting them make decisions for their own area but making sure that’s not going to impact the whole business in a negative way (no we can’t pull the market team to come finish pushing toys just because the SD left... the market team has to clean the ambiment room and cull and fill dairy first.) Also we have night visits where the DSD or GVP will walk and it’s just the closing TL leading the walk maybe with a style TL. I’ve found a couple TLs start to slack off when the ETLs leave and will be on their phones in the back so I have to make them be productive and have even had to go as far as “if you aren’t benefiting the business right now I’ll give you the option to clock out early but you’ll have to explain to the SD why you did that” it can put you in an awkward spot with your peers sometimes.

The closing team lead is not in charge of holding other leaders in the store accountable, im not sure where you received that information. All written description on the closing team lead job states that it is a partnership with other leaders and that they are in charge of executing plans that other TLs made but not an “LOD”

Back