Archived closing TL expects us to clock out but makes us wait 20-40 minutes to leave building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever is the closing lead always has someone stay with them at my store they have a closing checklist to follow which is very simple to remember and get in a routine for at the most 20 mins after close is the maximum ever stayed that includes the perimeter check without issues which at least at my store via SD whoever stays with the lead will get paid via punch correction as well since that’s still part of the buddy system. The team member door is always the last to be armed so as long as everyone is with at least 1 buddy they can leave there has been times where there’s a odd one out and they due to buddy system stay till the end as well

I would do a punch correction. Same thing applies if you are waiting for the front door to open and you are scheduled at a certain time. Punch correction.

At my store we have a door on the side that you push and it lets you out which is not motion activated. When you clock out you just leave. Are some store ASANTS and they don't have this door?

Nope. Unless you are performing actual work do you have to be on the clock. This actually came up in a labor dispute against Amazon and Amazon won. At Amazon you have to go through TSA style security when you enter and leave for the day. They tried to say you have to be paid waiting to get out. Labor department ruled in favor of Amazon. It should be a courtesy to let the team out quickly but your not entitled to being paid for it.
I recall that court decision. However, it gave a lot of bad publicity to Amazon. Target is paranoid about unions getting their foot in the door. Target really wants to avoid getting scrutinized by state labor departments, each state has different labor laws and regulators. Target's also eager to avoid bad publicity from news media and "investigative reporters". Target further dreads being targeted by militant social-justice-warrior boycotts and picketing for alleged discrimination, which can be very ugly and nasty. In the end, who really knows?

Last edited:
Iirc there was something similar that happened at an Apple Store, they were not successful in their attempt at getting compensated for the lost time.

Apparently they, Apple, defeated one of the few lawsuits. Although not exactly like what was described in the original post and probably not in the same court there is precedent for employees being held without having to be paid for their time.

As always ASANTS and IANAL or particularly intelligent

But I remembered this and thought it was some what relevant.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves... it’s that persons job to let people out and they’re just being lazy. Probably running around in circles trying to make themselves and the store look good and showing a complete lack of respect for the people that don’t base their lives around Target and just wish to go home and forget about the dumpster fire they did their best to put out. Punch correction only partially covers up the problem. Hotline that shit.

That's actually one of the reasons I ask someone to stay. I once sent everyone home and then one of the alarm panels went off after I was done arming the building (our alarm panel is right by the door so I can see inside). I was all by myself and had to wait for the PD to come and walk the building with me.
Bruh if alarms are being set off, I ain't walking the building with my TL for half of what they make. 😂💀

At my store we have a door on the side that you push and it lets you out which is not motion activated. When you clock out you just leave. Are some store ASANTS and they don't have this door?
My store now has a TM door like that but my last store we had to go in and out through the main entrance.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves... it’s that persons job to let people out and they’re just being lazy. Probably running around in circles trying to make themselves and the store look good and showing a complete lack of respect for the people that don’t base their lives around Target and just wish to go home and forget about the dumpster fire they did their best to put out. Punch correction only partially covers up the problem. Hotline that shit.
Same thing if we are left waiting out from really early in the morning. It is a safety issue to wait on the door to open at 4am/5am. I punch correct and write the reason why.

They do this BS at my store too, but not all closing ETLs do it. It’s not a safety issue, either. They’re just screwing around and not letting a whole horde of people out. They’ve gotten vocal on the walkie saying that their Uber is leaving, or their ride has been waiting 20 minutes, and then miraculously the ETL will scuttle our of TSC where they’ve been sitting on their butt and unlock the door.

It’s gotten better. And the ETL I work with most doesn’t pull this nonsense.

That happened at our store all the time, no one ever made it an issue. I never thought about it that way though, so much time lost.

Weird at my store you can walk out of TSC after close as long as you have a partner. No leader needs to be present but you do need to make it very known you are stepping out for the night. It's only fair so they don't have to worry. A lot of daytime TMs will just say over walkie they are leaving and they go home without response but closers at my store usually wait for the leader to acknowledge they are leaving.

They do this BS at my store too, but not all closing ETLs do it. It’s not a safety issue, either. They’re just screwing around and not letting a whole horde of people out. They’ve gotten vocal on the walkie saying that their Uber is leaving, or their ride has been waiting 20 minutes, and then miraculously the ETL will scuttle our of TSC where they’ve been sitting on their butt and unlock the door.

It’s gotten better. And the ETL I work with most doesn’t pull this nonsense.

Having the TSC door locked seems a bit worrying. I mean we can't open it from the outside but we can push it out to leave if need be. I wonder how ASANTS is about the TSC door being fully locked both ways.

edit: deleted a sentence cuz...not sure how easy it is to find out which store Im at

Sorry if I was unclear, they unlock the exit door and let TMs leave; they’re not locked in TSC. Our TSC is pretty open and just behind one coded door and we all know the code.

AFAIK, the Amazon issue (and I'm assuming Apple) is different than this. If TMs were "actively" waiting in line for security to check their bags on the way out they wouldn't get paid; but standing there for no purpose such as that without being allowed to leave you would be paid.

When you punch out your pay stops. When your pay stops you do not "have" to stay. You leave. Open the damn door and walk out. Go to HR tell them what time you punched out and what time you were able to leave, then tell her you will be doing a punch correction. You are not a prisoner. If you are being held in the building after you punch out and get hurt, do you think T is going to give you workmans comp? Whoever is telling you to punch out and not letting you leave is failing at their job miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back