Archived Co-worker harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blurtfeed

First off, I'm new here, so hi!

Posting this because other people's opinions will help me try to grasp how to handle this.

I've been re-hired at target and started a week ago. Fitting room operator mostly. Before that, I was hardlines. So this is entirely new.

This week I was called in twice to speak to (first) my softlines TL about language I used in front of a guest [don't worry, I'm going to clarify here] and days later, by the store team leader for "questioning a guest inappropriately and being rude" or something to that extent. It pretty much de-railed once I knew what was going on.

So I know people can suck. I truly do. We've dealt with bullies in high school so I'm used to it.

But this takes the cake.

I met my co-worker a day after I started and she was pretty cold to me. I didn't make much of it because my mindset was "just focus on yourself, don't assume, you're over thinking."

There was something odd about her but I couldn't put my hand on what. The next day I spent the rest of the night with her, me barely talking because softlines is a nightmare right now, so my responses were "uh huh" and "oh yeah I know." Most of it was in one ear, out the other.

She asks if I met our floor team lead and I said yes. She proceeded to tell me about how "hard" and "anal" she was, and I'm not an idiot. I'm not saying a word back to her about this besides "uh ok" because really, wth? How do you go from giving someone the cold shoulder and being overall rude to straight up talking about someone else to the person you've been rude to? Questions.

At that time a guest started asking about the fitting room and how she was uncomfortable changing in a unisex fitting room because "men might stare at her" and "can you believe this is the world we live in now?!" or something. I don't remember the exact wording but it's enough to make you roll your eyes.

All I could say was "idk I don't make the policies" because wth are you supposed to say?

During that time the coworker was watching me and the guest converse, and something seemed off. She was fine to me the rest of the night, made no mention of the incident, proceeds to tell me about herself when truly I do not care about this girl at all, even when I met her on the first day. But I was polite anyway because these are my co-workers.

Next day my floor tl pulls me in to an office to ask me if I recall using any "disgustingly foul language" to a guest. I was really confused and said no. She kept asking me if I was sure and if I talked to any guests the day before. I brought up the only thing I could think of which was the fitting room quip, but it was so irrelevant to me it didn't even seem like something that would be an issue, let alone using "foul disgusting language." when I told her everything I could recall, leaving out the part where my co-worker described this woman (our floor team lead) as a... Dictator and we were the unfortunate ones.

I'm going to let you guys put that statement together because repeating it makes me gag.

She kepy asking me over and over if I was sure, and I kept telling her I never used any foul language or even spoke to many guests last night. We were flooded with calls and gobacks. Most of the calls were for other departments. Words exchanged between me and guests were "are you taking that? Awesome okay."

So the fitting room thing was all I could think of. I even mentioned my co-worker witnessing it so if that needed to be questioned she could be asked as well. Once I said that, the floor team lead moved on amd started giving me reminders on how to work soft lines before shuffling me off.

Annoyed, but confused, I went through the day. Made no mention of it to anyone so that was it.

Cue second incident in less than a week. My store team lead calls me in. Not sure why, but okay! Meet him for the first time and he asks me if I was rude and inappropriate to a guest recently. I asked him if this was about the fitting room issue and said I was under the assumption it was cleared up.

Apparently he had no idea about it, and this was something DIFFERENT.

APPARENTLY (and I say this because I'm saying what the guest told corporate -yep! Corporate!) a guest came to the fitting room and I was rude, nasty, and blew her off. Once again I was really confused because no? This did not happen. I asked him to clarify. Date? Maybe a little more detail?

He said it was 2 days ago and the woman called corporate to complain about my inappropriate behavior. He said she was asked her race. I actually laughed for a second because I knew he wasn't kidding but at the same time just WHAT? I started thinking about wth was going on.

Then I remembered the co-workers mom coming in 2 days ago.

I didn't know it was her mother. All i know is some woman came in asking for the girl, and was really mad. At me? I don't think so. I told her she wasn't there and the last thing I wanted to do was get in trouble by saying when and where she would be next (which was a half hour from then working fitting room.) The woman walked off visibly upset and I just shrugged it off. Mentioned the woman when my co-worker came in and she started asking me what the woman looked like.

"Was she black? Did she look asian?" things like that. I don't even remember what the woman looked like outside of short black hair, which I told her. I also said she was with two kids and seemed upset.

I didn't pry because I truly give no f's about this girl. We work together and that's it.

She tells me it's her mom ("oh.. Okay?") and proceeds to call her from the fitting room. I go back to what I was doing and I hear her ask (well she's kind of shouting) why she was looking for her and "the operator said" but I don't recall the next bit of phone convo because 1) eavesdropping and 2) gobacks need to go away!

Cue rest of the night the chick talks to me about random stuff, personality flipping between outright nice to passive aggressive. Which is why I want to keep my distance from her.

Day after is when the store lead calls me in. Cue me mentioning this to him. "Wait... Are we talking about x's mom?" he gives me a look that screams yes.

I tell him the above. He tells me "a woman" (he lets it slip it was the girl and her mom later) called hq and corporate to file a complaint against me because I was questioning her race, religion, if she was adopted (LOL IM SORRY WHAT this is serious like how even?) and instantly I knew why I had a weird feeling about this girl.

I was crying. I was pissed off. I told him every thing and even said "there's a camera at the fitting room table, by all means go watch the footage and you can hear and see this did not happen."

I was really upset. How could someone be so insane to do this? I felt like it was some sort of joke that backfired. Maybe she didn't realize how serious this was. Why would she even do this?

I told him two complaints in a week while working with this girl seemed a bit weird and just downright absurd considering the second one. He said sometimes things seem like coincidences and aren't. Butbits a little weird ive only had issues when im with this girl.

I know its his job to follow up on these matters but this isnt a joke. I sat in there for probably 30 minutes telling him everything, even going as far to say "if anyone has said anything remotely disgusting it was x with her comparison to x about x" and so on.

I know. This story is a headache.

He said he believed me and said as far as he was concerned the case is closed but he was going to follow up with someone else. To me, I'm not satisfied. I was just accused of some insane bs by an insane co-worker and I can't move on. I'm supposed to work with this girl. So no. Case not closed.

I plan on going in today to talk to a team lead about it more because im so p'd off. I spent my whole night crying wondering why someone would seriously do this, and woke up remembering wth happened last night.

So. With all that being said.

What the hell do I do? Clearly this girl wants me gone. Why? I have no idea.

Is she playing some game where only this is funny to her? Because its serious. And i dont think she realizes this.

I cant look past this and I dont think they will let me leave softlines. They were adamant about me in that position to fill in for a sick employee. So im stuck there for who knows how long.

Im just so... I dont know. Do i call the integrity hotline? Ive read mixed things about it so idk if I should, and im still afraid of going in today to talk to someone else about it because im so distraught. I feel like im stuck.

Any advice would be great.

And thanks for reading this whirlwind.

Last edited by a moderator:
To start with, welcome to The Break Room, sorry it had to under these kind of circumstances.

Next it sounds like you have the coworker from hell.
There is a chance that your bosses know this but they still have to cover their asses and follow up on every complaint.

You need to be hyper aware of exchanges with her because it sounds like they can easily turn into a CF.
Don't just blow them off but be prepared to remember the details in case you get called down again.
This sucks but it's the situation you are in.

Keep any contact to a minimum but don't actively avoid or ignore her because that can go south on you as well.
I would recommend transferring but you need to distance yourself from these complaints first.
No TL wants to take on a TM who has problems so you need to look squeaky clean.

Most of all be aware of the things going on around you.
The person has an agenda, you need to figure out what it is and get out of the way.

Oh, and calling the Hotline isn't going to help.
They want you to go through the chain of command first.
If you really feel like you are at your wits end on this talking to HR is about the only direction to go.
They might help but ASANTS.

Welcome! You need talk to hr & get transfer to a different department. Hardlines will take you, for sure.

We have two girls at my store who dated the same guy and long story short they are not scheduled at the same time to avoid drama.

For your sake. I also might even record your shifts (audio) on your phone.

I don't say this lightly but I feel you have to be willing to stand up to your stores leadership.

Just telling your side of the story doesn't seem to be working. You need to make some threats "I am recording these conversations, do you want to listen to them" "Do I need to consult a lawyer"

It's far too easy to run off a team member who is a problem. They figure if you quit the problem goes away. You need to standup for yourself by letting them know you are ready to defend yourself. I would ask your team lead for the HR business partners phone number. I say this because I'm in HR it's all a big game of chicken. Target is so lawsuit conscious they will tuck their head between their tale if you call them on their bs

Sorry that you are having to go through all of this. Like others have said I would talk to your tl, etl srtl stl any and all you feel you need to and get away from that tm. There are some great people that work for Target and some that are not. I would try to stay clear of the tm at all costs. Tell your leadership you are uncomfortable working with and around this tm and you would appreciate their help getting you into another area. Write any and all interactions you have with this tm down.

For your sake. I also might even record your shifts (audio) on your phone.
Don't do that. Nobody is going to want to listen to it, it makes you seem like the crazy one, and it's illegal in some states.

Don't do that. Nobody is going to want to listen to it, it makes you seem like the crazy one, and it's illegal in some states.

It's never illegal to record a conversation. In some states you have to notify the other party they are being recorded.

Of course no one wants to listen to the audio, the point is to show you are ready and willing to defend yourself.

It's never illegal to record a conversation. In some states you have to notify the other party they are being recorded.
Sorry, I thought you meant recording without notification. You would have to tell everyone within earshot that you are recording audio, which is probably a ton of people during a softlines shift.

"Hi, just so you know I'm recording this conversation. Can I help you find something?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back