• An ETL

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Hey all. I'm not sure if a thread was ever created by anyone that explains the difference between the two titles, so I wanted to begin one that will 1) Clarify for all those that don't know including myself. 2) make it easier for anyone else on this site that searching for answers. So let the information floodgates begin!! One thing I have noticed between the two is one is salaried vs one hourly. Another is an Etl creates a schedule for tm's. I have not heard a SrTL create a schedule before. (Not saying they can't, just never heard/seen it.

Our SrTL makes the schedule for his area; then again the majority of our TLs still do their teams' schedules because leadership can't be bothered to.
Considering the disasters that occur when they DO, best to keep it in TL hands.

Used to be Sr. Consumables TL and I created the entire schedule for the food team(Produce/Meat/Dry/Dairy/Frozen). Not uncommon in my area. We were encouraged to do it to own our work centers, but we have a completely different culture at our store than most.

SrTL is an hourly TL, on the same level as any other TL. They oversee a specific workcenter and report to their ETL, just like other TLs. The only difference is they also get LOD shifts, and by extension they have the same access as an ETL (keys, alarm codes, cash office, etc.).

ETLs are salaried management, overseeing multiple workcenters and TLs. They are typically expected to work 9-10 hour shifts, 5 days per week. They don't use a time-clock and are on-call even when not at work (meaning they need to respond to work-related texts and emails when at home, and could get a call from the alarm company in the middle of the night and have to go to the store to reset it).

The LOD at any given moment is the person in charge of the store. So a SrTL on an LOD shift could give direction to an ETL

If I'm not mistaken while team leads are losing access to mytime in a few weeks. Aren't senior team leads maintaining it?

. They are typically expected to work 9-10 hour shifts, 5 days per week

Depends on the store.

My last AA volume the ETLs didn't even work 40 hours. Due to a 3 LOD day and both an etl log and replinishment.

The early would work 6am to 12-1.
Mid 12 to 6-8 .
Late 6 to midnight/1
Then log or replenishment midnight to 6.

On weekends they would work a little longer but still. 60k to start in my area working less than 40 hours.

Senior team leads would work 6 hour shifts on their lod days and 8 their other days

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken while team leads are losing access to mytime in a few weeks. Aren't senior team leads maintaining it?
Yes, Seniors keep access.

Someone should let your DTL in on store leadership work habits. Yikes.

@SrTLall has some good perspective on this.

Benefits of srtl
Work/life balance

You get a lot of the same benefits of an etl as far as time off, education reimbursement etc. And depending on how much ETLs work at your store the money is pretty comparable on a per hour basis if you are at a store where ETLs work 50-60 hours and only make 50K.

The benefits of etl

A) while a senior can earn a yearly raise, they are not eligible for bonuses based on performance and experience like an etl.

B) pay ceiling.

According to glass door ETLs in my area make anywhere from 60 to 80k. A senior tl at 22 dollars and 40 hours every week still makes slightly under 50K.

The main reason to go for an etl position IMO is if you want to advance even further in the company or make more money (most stls are former etls)

If you want a work life balance senior seems the superior way to go.

The LOD at any given moment is the person in charge of the store. So a SrTL on an LOD shift could give direction to an ETL
Just want to point out that this isn't true. You can give them direction, but they don't have to follow. However, if you have good relations with your ETL peers you should very seldom run into a case where you ask them for help and they outright refuse.

Just want to point out that this isn't true. You can give them direction, but they don't have to follow. However, if you have good relations with your ETL peers you should very seldom run into a case where you ask them for help and they outright refuse.
Just want to point out that you literally quoted me, said that it's not true, then proceeded to correct me by saying exactly what I had said.

SrTLs can give direction to an ETL. I didn't say ETLs need to follow those directions.

Just want to point out that you literally quoted me, said that it's not true, then proceeded to correct me by saying exactly what I had said.

SrTLs can give direction to an ETL. I didn't say ETLs need to follow those directions.
Ah, I assumed from the "person in charge" that you were implying that the direction had some weight to it. I was trying to point out that a cashier, for example, could give their ETL direction and it would be just as binding.

Which I assume you know. I was pointing it out for Target newcomers who might've read that and misunderstood, as I apparently did.

If a SrTL is the LOD and you get a visit, they lead the visit as well. That goes for Steritech, DTLs, BP, Jets. Its a good position for someone who thrives on challenges or wants to ultimately promote. Some stores abuse the position. SrTL should not have more than 2 LOD shifts per week. Most SRTLs would laugh hysterically at that. Also the SrTL shifts are not taken out of the weekly payroll. So if the SRTL is LOD those 6-8 hours come right out of the sales floor "bucket". Your district may differ on that, but I have been in 3 separate districts and it was the same in each. If payroll is EXTREMELY tight SRTLs may not even get an LOD shift that week so they can keep the hours on the floor

Lol, you are right about the hours coming out of the bucket, but my store always exceeds hours allocation for Seniors. They cut elsewhere most of the time. Last time, I was asked to give up a shift in my area because of being tight on hours. I said "No," but I would give up my LOD close, and they all said "no."

If a SrTL is the LOD and you get a visit, they lead the visit as well. That goes for Steritech, DTLs, BP, Jets. Its a good position for someone who thrives on challenges or wants to ultimately promote. Some stores abuse the position. SrTL should not have more than 2 LOD shifts per week.

Most stores abuse it. At my old store our senior gstl would get 4 Lod shifts a week. We had 6 ETLS! I get HR and AP only having 1 or 2 but our etl ge getting one a week? Etl ge is by far the easiest etl job.

At my b volume Our seniors also have to close 2 or 3 times a week. The execs always open Monday and Friday but they also often open weekends and take maybe one or two closes a week

I love my seniors because they make our store run but I don't envy the b.s. they put up with for a few extra dollars

We had 6 ETLS! I get HR and AP only having 1 or 2 but our etl ge getting one a week

I feel like SrTL at that level should have one or two LOD shifts (good for 'development' if the want to promote). Even if you consider 16 hrs a day an LOD is needed, you could have 5-6 hr. Shifts and no one ETL would have more than 3, even with AP/HR only taking one each. Earn that salary!

SrTL should not have more than 2 LOD shifts per week. Most SRTLs would laugh hysterically at that.
Sometimes they don't have a choice. We had a period of time last year where the only salaried management was the STL and one ETL. The SrTLs had to do at least 3 LOD shifts per week to fill in the gaps.

We have 3/4 (STL + 2 ETLs) of our salaried TMs out the entire week of July 4th. We are going to be spending a bunch of payroll on SrTL LOD shifts. However, it's not like there is anything important going on in the store that week. o_O

We have 3/4 (STL + 2 ETLs) of our salaried TMs out the entire week of July 4th. We are going to be spending a bunch of payroll on SrTL LOD shifts. However, it's not like there is anything important going on in the store that week. o_O
Someone has to spend those "big salaries" on the yachts, lavish trips!! :rolleyes:

I take it your DTL doesn't go over the LOD schedule? Ours does, and this wouldn't fly.

I'm not sure what sort of stores you all work at but as a Sr. TL if I give direction to an ETL when I am LOD, our STL expects them to follow that direction as long as we have good reasoning for it. Otherwise my STL will document the ETL. Seen it happen before when the other Sr. TL at my store asked an ETL to zone an isle during midday because we needed additional hands on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back