Archived Completely random questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLN13

Hardlines TM
Bare with me - I know these questions aren't related at all.

1. Do all stores have AP? I've never seen the guy standing by the door, I've never even see one on break or anything like that, and I've never met them or even heard anyone ask for them over the walkie. We aren't a SUPER high volume store, but we are the top in our district.

2. When pushing items, if, for exmaple, I scan something, and it says '3 fit' and there's 2 there, and it's obvious another won't fit, is it bad for me to change the capacity? I'm just a normal Hardlines tm, not Instocks or anything, so just wondering if I'm allowed to do that.

3. When does BTS start? Last time I was at work there were two people who took like 25 carts and gutted about 8 aisles in C block. I didn't ask what they were doing but I wonder if they were moving items for BTS?

4. Do starter checks work for signing up for Redcards?

5. Is there a trick to bagging reusable bags? I always struggle and take longer whenever trying to bag those.

6. What are we supposed to do with styrofoam/plastic trash when finishing pushing items? I always toss my cardboard in the baler and my plastic bag/wrap type items in the 'plastic' bag, but what do wth thicker pieces of plastic/gel packets?

7. I know you're supposed to ask everyone CIHYFS, but is it actually required? I feel like when I'm super busy with stray/pushes I forget a lot of the time, and I just wanna make sure it's not something I HAVE to do.

8. Are we aloud to request thanksgiving/Black Friday off? I know at some retail stores everyone is required to work.

9. Who should I ask for the password to branch? I asked the LOD and a couple Sr TL's and they had no idea.

10. How do you open those locks that are on the racks? Not the ones where you put the mag key in it, but the ones that are over in pets guarding those pet armor things.

11. What do the flow and research and Instocks team actually do? They're mentioned quite frequently here and I have no idea what their actual day to day job is.

I think that's all, I apologize for having so many random and unrelated questions, but hey, better I learn :p

Last edited:
1. Do all stores have AP? I've never seen the guy standing by the door, I've never even see one on break or anything like that, and I've never met them or even heard anyone ask for them over the walkie. We aren't a SUPER high volume store, but we are the top in our district.

Yes, not all wear uniforms.

2. When pushing items, if, for exmaple, I scan something, and it says '3 fit' and there's 2 there, and it's obvious another won't fit, is it bad for me to change the capacity? I'm just a normal Hardlines tm, not Instocks or anything, so just wondering if I'm allowed to do that.

Please do! That makes it easier for everyone.

3. When does BTS start? Last time I was at work there were two people who took like 25 carts and gutted about 8 aisles in C block. I didn't ask what they were doing but I wonder if they were moving items for BTS?

Soonish so that might be what they were planning.

4. Do starter checks work for signing up for Redcards?

No starter checks!!!!

5. Is there a trick to bagging reusable bags? I always struggle and take longer whenever trying to bag those.

Some stores have a removable platform that goes over the bagwell. Ask your GSTL about it and they should know.

6. What are we supposed to do with styrofoam/plastic trash when finishing pushing items? I always toss my cardboard in the baler and my plastic bag/wrap type items in the 'plastic' bag, but what do wth thicker pieces of plastic/gel packets?

All plastic goes in those bags, all cardboard (as long as its not wax) goes in the bailer. The rest goes in garbage cans by the compactor.

7. I know you're supposed to ask everyone CIHYFS, but is it actually required? I feel like when I'm super busy with stray/pushes I forget a lot of the time, and I just wanna make sure it's not something I HAVE to do.

Yes, it drives sales and decreases theft.

8. Are we aloud to request thanksgiving/Black Friday off? I know at some retail stores everyone is required to work.

Hah, your funny!!!

9. Who should I ask for the password to branch? I asked the LOD and a couple Sr TL's and they had no idea.

What is branch? I've never heard of it.

10. How do you open those locks that are on the racks? Not the ones where you put the mag key in it, but the ones that are over in pets guarding those pet armor things.

You need an S3 key. You put the key ontop of it and pull it towards you. Ask someone in electronics to show you as they usually have the Beats headphones on them as well.

11. What do the flow and research and Instocks team actually do? They're mentioned quite frequently here and I have no idea what their actual day to day job is.

Flow = Unload the truck and push all that will fit from it to the floor
Instocks = Scan items that are empty on the floor and zero the counts out which trigger batches in the backroom to be pulled. Many times these team members also work price change/plantogram.

With regards to BTS, at least in my store (Not All Stores Are The Same), we get enough shipped in for BTS fill that we shouldn't have to pull from home. Also, BTS (in seasonal) is supposed to set mid-week of the 2nd.

Edited: We get mostly enough shipped in, we still have to pull about 4% of the locations from office supplies/arts & crafts.

CIHYFS we no longer have to use that exact phrase. But you must interact with every guest. its more important than ever to make a guest happy that they came INTO the store rather than ordering online

Are we aloud to request thanksgiving/Black Friday off? I know at some retail stores everyone is required to work.

I would say asants but 95 percent of stores will laugh at you if you ask. You may get one off just by luck, at my old store of 160 maybe 10 people got it off.

You are free to ask, you can request time off up to six months in advance. My understanding is etls will sometimes grant it several months in advance if you explain some special family gathering. If you wait until the month before they tell you to suck it up.

Black Friday and thanksgiving are fun. They are chaotic but you always have good stories to tell, see fights, the worst in people and generosity in people.

Last edited:
1. Yes. AP is determined by risk level, not by sales volume. So being a busy store doesn't automatically mean you get more AP. But every store has at least 1 person.

2. Yes, that is definitely fine.

3. Different parts of it set at different times, and some stores with a lot of college shoppers start it earlier than others. Also, I have no clue what "C block" is at your store. At mine it's Chem/Paper/Pets, none of which has to do with BTC.

6. Cardboard goes in the baler. Plastic that's separated from other trash can go in the giant plastic recycling bag. All other trash, including plastic heavily mixed with other trash, goes in the trash compactor (or in the trash can nearby if the compactor door is locked).

7. Just be friendly and don't ignore guests.

8. No. Having to work weekends and holidays is part of the deal of working in retail.

9. Does your store even use it? It's limited to a handful of test stores right now.

10. If you are in a department that has keys for that, ask for training on how to use them.

11. Flow team unloads the truck and stocks the store. They are slowly being combined with the salesfloor team. Instocks completes research tasks and updates the on-hand counts of items in the store. They are also slowly being combined with the salesfloor.

I think that's all, I apologize for having so many random and unrelated questions, but hey, better I learn :p
Ask TMs at your store for help. Most of your questions can easily be answered by people you work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back