Cost of livin'

I don't own an iPod, iPad, iPhone or anything else that begins with an i.

I hate Apple in the way some people hate Microsoft and so, I don't know.

It's playing for me, on an off the shelf HP desktop, running Windows 7.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
Not usually a huge modern country music fan but this hit way too close to home.
Reminds me a bit of Woody Guthrie and the songs of the common man.
Just wish he had more to say about how to fight back.

mrknownothing

purveyor of things
It's not because it's an Apple device, but because it's a mobile browser. Sites like this often look different on mobile devices because they're so much smaller than a computer monitor. Personally, I'm not a fan of Apple either, but it's only because I'm so used to Microsoft products. I couldn't operate a Mac to save my life lol.

It's not because it's an Apple device, but because it's a mobile browser. Sites like this often look different on mobile devices because they're so much smaller than a computer monitor. Personally, I'm not a fan of Apple either, but it's only because I'm so used to Microsoft products. I couldn't operate a Mac to save my life lol.
Yeah, you could.

If you can use a Windows based PC, then you can use a Mac.

At basic, GUI level, they aren't really that different.

Not usually a huge modern country music fan but this hit way too close to home.
Reminds me a bit of Woody Guthrie and the songs of the common man.
Just wish he had more to say about how to fight back.
I'm not that much of a contemporary country fan either, but like you, that song hits rather close to home for me.

The girl at the beginning of the video is a dead ringer for a former customer of mine, a single mother, who lost her job when the company decided they could do it a few cents cheaper in India.

No, I've never been convicted of a crime.

I rarely call in sick.

I'm 36, I've missed about 5 days of work in my life and I can give you references to back that up.

What I don't know, I catch on real quick.

I'll work weekends, if I have to, nights and holidays.

I'll give you 40 and then some, whatever it takes.

I ain't too proud to sweep the floors.

Again, I've references to back me up on that, but the 20 something, layers of makeup to cover up her acne ETL at my local Target wasn't interested and never even asked.

Thanks for sharing that, ST. My husband is a machinist and he makes great money when he's working full-time but we've been through a few layoffs. The last one lasted 18 months and even though he's been back to work for over a year now we are still playing catch-up with the bills and savings and that's even though he still made money working for friends through the layoff since my husband is not the stay home and do nothing type and neither am I. That video actually made me cry. I really feel for the folks in that town.

Thanks for sharing that, ST. My husband is a machinist and he makes great money when he's working full-time but we've been through a few layoffs. The last one lasted 18 months and even though he's been back to work for over a year now we are still playing catch-up with the bills and savings and that's even though he still made money working for friends through the layoff since my husband is not the stay home and do nothing type and neither am I. That video actually made me cry. I really feel for the folks in that town.
Well, I'm glad you and your husband have been able to find work.

That's what most frustrates me about the current world is, as a manager, I've seen so many people who claim they want to work but then they don't even show up but I've not been able to find a job.

I worked at my last job for about 2 1/2 years.

In that time, I missed two days of work.

I typically worked 40-45 hours per week, but there were times I worked a lot more than that because we were short of help..

Schedule wise, I worked everything from opening at 5 AM to closing at midnight. Often doing both in the same week.

They fired me for no reason, other than I was a scapegoat, told me to my face there was no reason and that I could claim unemployment and they wouldn't contest it.

They then turned around and tried to contest it and the reason they gave was that I had "bad penmanship" and "errors in paperwork."

This was after I'd worked for them for over two years, worked nights, weekends, holidays, a week that was supposed to be my vacation, etc.

It *should* be easier to get a job when you already have one. It makes up for the whole "do I tell the truth and say I need time off to go to an interview or do I lie and say I have an appointment?" debate. I had to do that a few times in the past and I always lied and felt bad about it. I even lied one time and said I had to get my sister from the airport when I was really at an interview. Oh and going into an office bathroom and changing out of your interview clothes and into business casual or whatever your company's dress code was is always fun. None of those interviews ever landed jobs though.
Fortunately, almost no one wants to do an interview at 3 a.m., so that will come in handy after I get back from vacation and start looking for jobs.
Most of the time I don't have to worry because I'm looking for jobs when I don't already have one.

I GENERALLY believe that honesty is the best policy BUT telling your current employer that you need time off so you can go to a job interview would just be galactically stupid.

I once had a manager who wanted me to work for him on a mid-week afternoon because he had free tickets to an amusement park and he wanted to take his son, but the tickets were only good for that day.

My response was sure, no problem.

That afternoon, the district manager came in and was utterly convinced the store manager was out looking for another job and asked me if I wanted his job when he quit.

That was with the manager telling the truth in that he just wanted an afternoon off to take his son to a theme park.

What do you think the DM's reaction would have been had the manager said he wanted to be off so he could go to a job interview?

Saying that you're going to an amusement park isn't that much more intelligent. What works best is doctor's appointments, dentist appointments, anything involving your kids and their school, taking a family member to an appointment.

Well I have to say, I disagree with you both on the amusement park thing.

It was a one time deal, tickets that were only good for that day, something he wanted to do with his son and to me this is the most salient point, he personally arranged for someone else to cover his shift.

Had he simply said, I can’t work because I’m going to an amusement park, then yeah, that would be stupid, but he and I just swapped shifts. It in no way affected the store or involved anyone else.

I can’t really see the harm in that.

If I were the manager above us, I’d much prefer that to being told some BS story.

Case in point, at my last job, I was very close friends with a coworker who was technically my subordinate.

We had a very minor snow, maybe 2-3 inches and essentially nothing on the roads.

She sent me a text saying she didn’t know if she was going to be able to make it into work because of the weather.

Well, she can be a girlie girl when it comes to driving in the snow and so I said to myself, she’s just being a girl and she’ll be here.

About two hours after she was supposed to be there, she finally told me the truth. She was at a cabin in the mountains with her town drunk boyfriend, he was drunk and had his piece of crap truck with the bald tires off in a ditch but as soon as he got it out of the ditch, she’d be there.

She never did make it to work that day and I covered for her but I told her later that had she continued to lie to me with her snowed in at the house, which was two miles down the road story, it would have been a written reprimand and I would have filled it out myself.

There’s nothing in the world I hate more than for someone to lie to me.