Archived Counterfeit Detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't seen a threat about it yet - AP mentioned in a Huddle that all the Registers in the store will have the Counterfeit Detector pens on them. We're required to mark 20's, 50's, and 100's. Supposed to be rolled out BY May 27th. Anyone else heard anything?

This could get interesting........

BP does state 20s/50s/100s

However sometimes it can really slow you down having to mark 20s (express,etc.)

Search under "counterfeit bills".
There's at least three threads that have covered this: 50s & 100s, counterfeit bills, counterfeit pens.

I believe only certain stores have the detector pens. Stores that have proven to have a problem with counterfeit money fraud.

They can be ordered on TIPP. I made sure every register had them, along with giving the GSTL's spares, for when they "go missing".

Came in real handy, when some guy came in trying to buy 4 Vizio's with "CASH"...

No pens for my store the whole time I've been there.

Then again, the cash isn't so much a problem for us as credit card, debit card, and gift card tricksters, as well as check fraudsters ( well, at least would-be check fraudsters ) abound.

We don't have pens, nor are we even supposed to check or do anything about counterfeits, just take them.

Haven't seen any pens in my store, nor have we heard anything about them....then again, we rarely hear about ANYTHING that's coming....

No pens at my store either. Even if a cashier suspects a bill as fake, we are instructed to take it as normal and alert GSTL/AP after the transaction is completed. Even if one was to come in the cash office, best practice says deposit it like you would any other bill.

I think the company should do something since I have seen about 80-90 fake hundreds in the past three months. All AP says is they can't do anything.

My region was a pilot area for the pens going back to 2008/2009. We've had lots of success with them!

Counterfeit pens are pointless due to the fact that the majority of fake bills are washed lower denomination bills, such as $5 bills. They always pass the pen test since it's the same fiber/paper but a different value printed on the currency. Pens are more of inconvenience to the guest, especially by saying I don't trust any of your $20 bills so I have to check every single one of the hundreds of $20+ bills we accept. Really, it gives the perception to the guest that they are doing something wrong for paying in cash.

80-90!?!?! that's crazy! I would think your AP should at least be reporting it to investigations and law enforcement since counterfeiting is a federal crime.

They do all of the reports but Target has made it very clear that we can not apprehend them or call the police. It's sad since it is the same four people every time.

80-90!?!?! that's crazy! I would think your AP should at least be reporting it to investigations and law enforcement since counterfeiting is a federal crime.

They do all of the reports but Target has made it very clear that we can not apprehend them or call the police. It's sad since it is the same four people every time.

Target may not be able to apprehend them but one day they may be back in your store trying to pass the same fake money and the Secret Service is going to come to play. Trust me if they have passed that many the Secret Service is already on it and has been in contact with your store AP.

We've been told to always accept money, no matter what... and to never check it in front of a guest.

However, we now have the pens coming in and are supposed to check ALL 20's, 50's, and 100's!

Does anyone else have this policy? I can't imagine the marking 20's will last long... Very time consuming and isn't very "vibe-ish"

The issue with the pens though is someone can bleach a $1 and make it a $100 and it would pass with the pens.

Yup. Pens only check for the correct paper (cotton rag - forgot the weight).
The texture does change after bleaching, tho. If you've handled enough money in CO, you'll recognize the diff pretty quick.

I'm not sure why they would go back to the pens, as other users have stated, washed out money will pass this test. We used to see a lot of counterfeit money at my store, but it has since gone away after denying them when they would come through. I'm a huge supporter of holding the bill up quickly to the light and verifying the watermark. Granted, there are bills out there with the watermark printed on the back, but not very common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back