Archived Counting the money in the cash office after close?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if this is something I should report to AP.

Last night was a typical closing shift. ETL-GE was LOD.

We ended up having to stay only about 20 mins after close, and the ETL-GE was telling TMs they could leave as their departments were finished. (which is weird, because normally we all leave together) So, he was on the radio saying "Softlines is good. You guys can clock out" then a little later "TMs in Toys/electronics can clock out" etc.

Anyway, he never walked my department (not even once) after we closed. I was in domestics/furniture. Then he got on the walkie and said "Ok, everyone else can come up to clock out"

Once we got up to clerical (there were about 5 of us left) he asked if one of us could stay with him while he wrote the closing e-mail, etc. I volunteered for this.

As soon as he let the others out, he said "Hey I need to finish up the cash office really fast if you can just wait here". I told him no problem.

About 10 minutes went by and I was getting kind of annoyed, so I went to guest service and stood there waiting for him to exit the cash office. It was dead silent, and I didn't hear any noise from the cash office so I figured he must have had to run to the bathroom or something.

I stood there *literally* for about another 25 minutes wondering when the hell he was going to finish whatever he was doing.

To my surprise, all of a sudden the cash door opened. I had not heard one sound from in there, so I didn't even think he was in there.

So once he came out he was like "Oh there you are. Hey, sorry, I had to walk the floor again really fast before I finished this". So I was just thinking huh... ok... I was standing here for 25 mins and you've been in there the whole time.

So I was like "Oh no problem. What was wrong in the cash office?" and he was like "uh well uh.. well I just uh had to count the money"

Now, I used to be a GSTL, and I know that is bull sh**. All the closing LOD does is basically throw the money bags in the safe. It takes about 3 mins max. Not over 25 mins.

So I was just like "oh ok" and then he quickly took me to clerical and we left.

So I am wondering if I should tell AP to check the camera from last night to see WTF he was doing in there? Because I sure as hell know it was not "counting the money".

I am just wondering if there is anything legit he could have been doing in there for 25+ mins though. If there is, I can't think of anything. It was also completely silent, so whatever he was doing, it was pretty quiet.

I am wondering if this is something I should report to AP.

Last night was a typical closing shift. ETL-GE was LOD.

We ended up having to stay only about 20 mins after close, and the ETL-GE was telling TMs they could leave as their departments were finished. (which is weird, because normally we all leave together) So, he was on the radio saying "Softlines is good. You guys can clock out" then a little later "TMs in Toys/electronics can clock out" etc.

Anyway, he never walked my department (not even once) after we closed. I was in domestics/furniture. Then he got on the walkie and said "Ok, everyone else can come up to clock out"

Once we got up to clerical (there were about 5 of us left) he asked if one of us could stay with him while he wrote the closing e-mail, etc. I volunteered for this.

As soon as he let the others out, he said "Hey I need to finish up the cash office really fast if you can just wait here". I told him no problem.

About 10 minutes went by and I was getting kind of annoyed, so I went to guest service and stood there waiting for him to exit the cash office. It was dead silent, and I didn't hear any noise from the cash office so I figured he must have had to run to the bathroom or something.

I stood there *literally* for about another 25 minutes wondering when the hell he was going to finish whatever he was doing.

To my surprise, all of a sudden the cash door opened. I had not heard one sound from in there, so I didn't even think he was in there.

So once he came out he was like "Oh there you are. Hey, sorry, I had to walk the floor again really fast before I finished this". So I was just thinking huh... ok... I was standing here for 25 mins and you've been in there the whole time.

So I was like "Oh no problem. What was wrong in the cash office?" and he was like "uh well uh.. well I just uh had to count the money"

Now, I used to be a GSTL, and I know that is bull sh**. All the closing LOD does is basically throw the money bags in the safe. It takes about 3 mins max. Not over 25 mins.

So I was just like "oh ok" and then he quickly took me to clerical and we left.

So I am wondering if I should tell AP to check the camera from last night to see WTF he was doing in there? Because I sure as hell know it was not "counting the money".

I am just wondering if there is anything legit he could have been doing in there for 25+ mins though. If there is, I can't think of anything. It was also completely silent, so whatever he was doing, it was pretty quiet.

Hmmm...That's an awkward conversation with AP. I would be slightly suspicious too, though, judging by his response. On the other hand, I have never been in a store where the LOD didn't count the safe ever single night. So he was probably counting the money. Maybe there was a problem in there earlier and he was trying to act smart and fix it? It is weird though. Especially since he lied to you about it.

I'm pretty sure the Alarm Center is notified if the CO is disarmed again before the ordinary time in the morning.

I'm pretty sure the Alarm Center is notified if the CO is disarmed again before the ordinary time in the morning.

Yes. If its disarmed even a minute before 7, Lod is in deep ****. I heard they send cops right away because they think the store is being robbed.

I find the whole situation quite odd, but the thing is, unless he and AP are in on this together, he would get caught stealing and he knows it. THe guy probably sent the closing GSTL/GSA home early and realized what a mistake that was when he got in there and that's why he came off uncomfortable. He knows he messed up.

Last edited:
Well technically he might not have even armed the co yet. I would just let the situation go, they have cameras in there if he did steal anything. He was most likely counting the strapped bills/boxed coin and signing off on the safe count worksheet. Best practice requires lod signature every night.

Lod can count the safe as long as he isn't going into the canvas bags, or unopened money from bank/deposits.

@isis, I misunderstood the op, amended my post please disregard. I was under the impression the Lod was doing something else. I am correct in regards to the canvas bags since they aren't accounted for yet in cp4000. Lod is only supposed to count counted funds that are on the worksheet. Also they did count the safe during bag drop off often, new etls usually asked me for help too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Etls NEVER are to count the cash and take money out under any circumstances. That is the morning GSA job. I would be suspicious myself and would let ap know right away. He might not be stealing but that isn't proper what hes doing, it could get the closing gstl/open co in trouble if there's a problem.

After the closing GSA and Lod exit 3239, the room is supposed to be armed right away.

Are you kidding me? You always say things with such authority. Its quite funny. The closing LOD at all 4 stores I've worked at verified the safe every night. They don't remove the money from the safe to do so. I'm fairly certain your LOD always counted the safe too, but they probably didn't do it in front of you. That would be a waste of your time. I find the whole situation quite odd, but the thing is, unless he and AP are in on this together, he would get caught stealing and he knows it. THe guy probably sent the closing GSTL/GSA home early and realized what a mistake that was when he got in there and that's why he came off uncomfortable. He knows he messed up.

This is possible. I don't know what was going on upfront, but maybe he did send the front end home before everything was done.... though, this is not a new ETL or anything. Seems like a stupid mistake to make.

Etls NEVER are to count the cash and take money out under any circumstances. That is the morning GSA job. I would be suspicious myself and would let ap know right away. He might not be stealing but that isn't proper what hes doing, it could get the closing gstl/open co in trouble if there's a problem.

After the closing GSA and Lod exit 3239, the room is supposed to be armed right away.

Are you kidding me? You always say things with such authority. Its quite funny. The closing LOD at all 4 stores I've worked at verified the safe every night. They don't remove the money from the safe to do so. I'm fairly certain your LOD always counted the safe too, but they probably didn't do it in front of you. That would be a waste of your time. I find the whole situation quite odd, but the thing is, unless he and AP are in on this together, he would get caught stealing and he knows it. THe guy probably sent the closing GSTL/GSA home early and realized what a mistake that was when he got in there and that's why he came off uncomfortable. He knows he messed up.

This is possible. I don't know what was going on upfront, but maybe he did send the front end home before everything was done.... though, this is not a new ETL or anything. Seems like a stupid mistake to make.

If you still think its odd, you can ask ap. But he was most likely just doing the safe count worksheet. You were the one there so you should know if he was acting fishy better than us,

Our closing GSTL/GSA would go in with the closing LOD to set the bags up & to make sure all were accounted for.
The LOD would verify the shelf count in the safe, taking into conisderation funds taken out for advances. If something were a little off, they might have taken time to double-check their count if someone failed to write down advances on the safe count sheet.
You shouldn't have to mention it to AP. If there's anything missing, CSA will catch it & notify AP before anyone else.

If you still think its odd, you can ask ap. But he was most likely just doing the safe count worksheet. You were the one there so you should know if he was acting fishy better than us,

I don't think he was stealing or anything. Just obviously a little jumpy. The fact he said he was walking the floor when he obviously wasn't is pretty odd too.... Guess he didn't realize I had been standing there the whole time.

Part of me wonders if he was jacking off in there or something.

I don't think he was stealing or anything. Just obviously a little jumpy. The fact he said he was walking the floor when he obviously wasn't is pretty odd too.... Guess he didn't realize I had been standing there the whole time.

Part of me wonders if he was jacking off in there or something.

I'd rather assume he was stealing. Thanks though.

Most likely forgot to do Safe Count worksheet, and double checked everything. Feel free to mention it to AP, with the whole open door culture. Just ask if there was anything weird happening with cash office recently, as the ETL-blahblahblah took a little longer than usual the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back