• No

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

daverising

Cart Attendant/Cashier of Doom!!!
Yay first post!

I love working at Target. However, they really didn't train me to watch for coupon fraud, and since sometimes the coupons actually go through, I usually didn't check the coupon when I had a huge line of guests, and they never trained me to look out for it, but after gaining experience I learned to watch out for these things. So I was wondering, do other stores actively train you to know how to spot coupon fraud? Have you ever had to get into an argument with some lady (at my store it's usually women) at whether a coupon(s) was valid or not? And has AP ever had to get seriously involved?

speak-to-a-manager-haircut.jpg

They talk to cashiers about coupons, and what to look for. Sometimes they call AP over. I think there are so many shady operators out there that it can be hard for new people. Also, of course, so many of the couponers are bullies who know which cashiers are new. I had to ask a guy to leave the store for bullying a high school cashier. Started swearing at her.

When I trained cashiers, I told them about coupon fraud. I told them to make sure the items they have match the coupons. Red flags were large stacks of coupons, large dollar amount coupons, and multiples of HBA items. Me training them about that was just be trying to cover all bases. A lot of people go by the Cashier Training booklet, which says little on the matter of coupon fraud. That's probably why it's usually left out of training.

We rarely call AP over for coupon fraud. The GSTL is usually able to handle it themselves if the cashier can't. As a cashier, you're allowed to deny a coupon if it's for the wrong item or completely bogus.

Yay first post!

I love working at Target. However, they really didn't train me to watch for coupon fraud, and since sometimes the coupons actually go through, I usually didn't check the coupon when I had a huge line of guests, and they never trained me to look out for it, but after gaining experience I learned to watch out for these things. So I was wondering, do other stores actively train you to know how to spot coupon fraud? Have you ever had to get into an argument with some lady (at my store it's usually women) at whether a coupon(s) was valid or not? And has AP ever had to get seriously involved?

I have dealt with more than I can count. I always get called because I am one of the few LODs that am not nice about it with them either. There are two types of these coupon people. One is the soccer mom who actually is a wolf in disguise and tries to chew your face off as soon as you start denying her bogo coupon on the windex that is already bogo on sale. The second is the professional ring of traveling drug users that is buying all that stuff to just go return it for full price. They definitely talk like they have been to prison and will make a scene at the service desk when you deny the returns.

I don't use the script anymore that Target gave us because its too long and too polite. Neither of these "guests" who are scamming us really deserve the time or attention we give them. It validates them as some sort of guest who is making a minor infraction, when that is not the case. If its the soccer mom, I read the coupon and say why its denying (usually the first line of the fine print). She will always throw a huff and argue. I then tell her I am following what the coupon says and I need her to be quiet until I am done, and if she continues to talk I am voiding the whole transaction and just putting the stuff back. If she talks again and argues I actually do it, and then turn to her and say "I clearly set a line for you and you crossed it. This is private property and I am refusing service for you today. The transaction is voided and we are taking the merchandise back. I need you to leave the property immediately understand?"

If its the traveling ring of drug addicts, I don't even do that. I just go up and say, "We are not processing any transactions for you today. There is no discussion taking place about this. If you have something to say we will take your complaint on this comment card at any time. We will not be conducting any further business with you today, understand?"... If they say anything else I tell them to leave without another word or law enforcement will be contacted. I usually spend no more than 2 minutes on them.

I agree with @TallAPGuy. Most of my ETLs are pretty good about denying coupon fraud, but none are nearly as brazen or awesome as that. That really is all that they deserve, especially when it's a repeat coupon frauder who is always turned down, yet somehow they expect that the outcome will be different this time around.

@Rock Lobster, you are the ETL that Target needs, but not the one that it deserves.

I have dealt with more than I can count. I always get called because I am one of the few LODs that am not nice about it with them either. There are two types of these coupon people. One is the soccer mom who actually is a wolf in disguise and tries to chew your face off as soon as you start denying her bogo coupon on the windex that is already bogo on sale. The second is the professional ring of traveling drug users that is buying all that stuff to just go return it for full price. They definitely talk like they have been to prison and will make a scene at the service desk when you deny the returns.

I don't use the script anymore that Target gave us because its too long and too polite. Neither of these "guests" who are scamming us really deserve the time or attention we give them. It validates them as some sort of guest who is making a minor infraction, when that is not the case. If its the soccer mom, I read the coupon and say why its denying (usually the first line of the fine print). She will always throw a huff and argue. I then tell her I am following what the coupon says and I need her to be quiet until I am done, and if she continues to talk I am voiding the whole transaction and just putting the stuff back. If she talks again and argues I actually do it, and then turn to her and say "I clearly set a line for you and you crossed it. This is private property and I am refusing service for you today. The transaction is voided and we are taking the merchandise back. I need you to leave the property immediately understand?"

If its the traveling ring of drug addicts, I don't even do that. I just go up and say, "We are not processing any transactions for you today. There is no discussion taking place about this. If you have something to say we will take your complaint on this comment card at any time. We will not be conducting any further business with you today, understand?"... If they say anything else I tell them to leave without another word or law enforcement will be contacted. I usually spend no more than 2 minutes on them.

Holy fuck that is awesome!

i wasn't trained about coupons, heck, i was barely trained at all. i pretty much figured everything out by myself and i have had quite a few extreme couponers and i have stopped most of them, the one's who are doing something wrong that is. i absolutely hate when people bring up hundreds of trial sized items and give me coupons that are valid for larger sizes. the coupon clearly says it excludes trial size, i'm not stupid. i'm not gonna give you $4 off your .99 cent item. my favorite was when a guest said "you've always accepted them before" and got mad at me. well not me, maybe a different cashier but not me, i don't put up with that and it's not fair. another favorite is when someone said "well walmart let's me" then go to walmart, you're not getting away with it here.

You. You get it. Why can't every ETL have as much of a spine as you do?

LOL you take your job way to seriously... you work at Target and make minimum wage....haha. If you were to get reported you won't have your job for long... and if target would allow what you do Retail Girl they would be closing more stores.. and you'd be out of your entry level job.

LOL you take your job way to seriously... you work at Target and make minimum wage....haha. If you were to get reported you won't have your job for long... and if target would allow what you do Retail Girl they would be closing more stores.. and you'd be out of your entry level job.
If you personally think this is okay, it's Not. You can't just join The Break Room and decide to insult Members. This is a friendly Warning... if further actions continue, you will be permanently suspended.

If you personally think this is okay, it's Not. You can't just join The Break Room and decide to insult Members. This is a friendly Warning... if further actions continue, you will be permanently suspended.

He's got one post. Just do it! ;D

I just found this site... I don't know how to change my real name. I don't think I was being derogatory just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back