Archived Coupon Fraud Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the Target Coupon Policy, we can refund the manufacturer coupon onto a GC. It says we can also deny the coupons if they are not used for use or gifting. How do you go about returning the coupon amount onto a GC? This way the coupon fraud guests are not making a profit on the coupons.

I just put the entire return on a giftcard.

So if they pay with cash or credit is there a way to put the coupon amount on a GC?

No, there's no way to split up the return unless they paid multiple ways. So if a guest bought a $25 pack of vitamins, and had a coupon for $10 off, you can't give them $15 in cash, and then $10 on a giftcard. It's either all giftcard or all cash.

No, there's no way to split up the return unless they paid multiple ways. So if a guest bought a $25 pack of vitamins, and had a coupon for $10 off, you can't give them $15 in cash, and then $10 on a giftcard. It's either all giftcard or all cash.
Thanks. Grrrrr, then why say we can do this if there is no way it can be done.

Thanks. Grrrrr, then why say we can do this if there is no way it can be done.

The wording is stupid, but how I interpret is, if they're returned items had coupons on them, since they get more than what they paid for it, it goes onto a gift card. Period. If they say, "But I paid cash" I flat out tell them, I can't give you more money than what you paid for it. You get a gift card because that's the policy, which it is.

The wording is stupid, but how I interpret is, if they're returned items had coupons on them, since they get more than what they paid for it, it goes onto a gift card. Period. If they say, "But I paid cash" I flat out tell them, I can't give you more money than what you paid for it. You get a gift card because that's the policy, which it is.
Technically, a manufacturer's coupon is payment (same as cash) so they did pay that full amount. It gets sent out to a clearing house and the store receives "cash"(money, check, electronic transfer, etc) for the amount of the coupon.

Technically, a manufacturer's coupon is payment (same as cash) so they did pay that full amount. It gets sent out to a clearing house and the store receives "cash"(money, check, electronic transfer, etc) for the amount of the coupon.
Not really....
Almost every coupon has a "cash value" listed, which is a fraction of a penny.

Not really....
Almost every coupon has a "cash value" listed, which is a fraction of a penny.
Cash value means face value: if you have a stack of 200 coupons with cash value of 1/100 of a cent they're worth 2 cents, straight up. When used as payment according to the specified terms - For example $1 off Tide Pods 44CT or larger it's a $1 payment towards that item.

But don't we get reimbursed based on how many we sell and the amount of coupons redeemed? Let's say we sell 100 of the item and 100 coupons are redeemed and then 75 are returned. Do we get reimbursed for those 100?

But don't we get reimbursed based on how many we sell and the amount of coupons redeemed? Let's say we sell 100 of the item and 100 coupons are redeemed and then 75 are returned. Do we get reimbursed for those 100?
yes , as long as the coupons were use correctly. As long as we receive the coupons, we will receive Credit back to the store

According to the Target Coupon Policy, we can refund the manufacturer coupon onto a GC. It says we can also deny the coupons if they are not used for use or gifting. How do you go about returning the coupon amount onto a GC? This way the coupon fraud guests are not making a profit on the coupons.

its really rare. i've had many many coupon returners and only one family the system prompted the gift card.

the best way to stop coupon returns is to make it as painful as possible. only allow major coupon purchases at a checklane with a gstl/gsa. being as annoying as possible most stopped using my store as one in the district to do their rounds.

I had a lady check out today with high dollar coupons. They were all legit but after the transaction she wanted a gift receipt. I thought it was weird but didn't think much about it at the time. Is there any reason I should have refused the gift receipt?

I had a lady check out today with high dollar coupons. They were all legit but after the transaction she wanted a gift receipt. I thought it was weird but didn't think much about it at the time. Is there any reason I should have refused the gift receipt?
She wants to return with the gift receipt so that you can't see the coupons she used.

Here's me: "My pleasure. How many copies do you need? Just so you know, we need the original receipt, not a gift receipt to return HBA items." (Big, sappy smile.)

My store won't take them. I can't speak for all stores.

ETA: I don't think that you can deny her a gift receipt. Just let her know that you know what's going on by telling her you need an original receipt for these items.

Coupon fraud people hate me. They wait for me to go to break or lunch if I am up front. Avoiding me in useless. I will lane jump with inexperienced cashier if I see nonsense going on.

Truth be told, I use a ton of coupons, almost could be called extreme. Mine are all legit. These cheaters make it harder for everyone. I donate to food banks in 3 states. I donate the HBA items to shelters and to one of the ladies that works at Goodwill. (She gives packages of HBA items to their workers.) Plus, I have a pretty hearty pantry at home.

What types of items were they for. I know ASANTS as far as returning HBA items with a gift receipt.

She wants to return with the gift receipt so that you can't see the coupons she used.

My store won't take them. I can't speak for all stores.

ETA: I don't think that you can deny her a gift receipt. Just let her know that you know what's going on by telling her you need an original receipt for these items.
Same at my store. We've also figured out that people can't return anything purchased at our counter to GS in the store. That and us refusing to ring out more than 5 items at our registers has kept them away for the most part. We still get 1-2 shady people per week try to scam us, though.

Large HBA returns = Original receipt only. No card look ups or gift receipts. I try to be as transparent as possible when the guest ask why too. "Unfortunately we need the original receipt because many health and beauty items are purchased with coupons." However, I'm pretty lenient if I don't suspect any coupon fraud or theft. Example, if someone comes in with a bottle of shampoo, explaining they meant to get conditioner, but they don't have a receipt, I'm not going to give them a hard time. Just do the exchange.

Anyway, being transparent about why we want an original receipt usually shuts down any further discussion and they give up. What's funny though, is if some guests are super bold and just bring in the original receipt, with all the coupons clearly stated. Once they do that...I actually have a hard time dealing with what to say and whether to accept the return. If it's under $50, we just return it and put it on a gift card...but if it's ridiculous, we just deny the return completely. It always throws me off though because rarely are people that obvious.

I have a question. A lot of cashiers and GS people don't care about the coupon fraud under the logic that we technically get paid for that manufacture coupons anyway. However, someone is still getting screwed out of that money, right? If not Target, then it's the manufacture, right? So couldn't Target get in trouble with the manufacture for not doing anything to stop coupon fraud? Just because Target gets reimbursed, that doesn't make it okay for the consumer to exploit that, because it still screws someone out of money.

I hate the apathy some people have on the issue. I once had a leader say "We're not the coupon police" which really bothered me. It's so dismissive and short sighted.

Now, with no clear or easy methods for stoping coupon fraud, then I would guess that most of it goes by undetected. If it weren't for people basically just being annoyed by it and thus stopping it, then there would be absolutely nothing stopping coupon fraud. So, how does that not make us vulnerable to lawsuits?

I have a question. A lot of cashiers and GS people don't care about the coupon fraud under the logic that we technically get paid for that manufacture coupons anyway. However, someone is still getting screwed out of that money, right? If not Target, then it's the manufacture, right? So couldn't Target get in trouble with the manufacture for not doing anything to stop coupon fraud? Just because Target gets reimbursed, that doesn't make it okay for the consumer to exploit that, because it still screws someone out of money.

I hate the apathy some people have on the issue. I once had a leader say "We're not the coupon police" which really bothered me. It's so dismissive and short sighted.

Now, with no clear or easy methods for stoping coupon fraud, then I would guess that most of it goes by undetected. If it weren't for people basically just being annoyed by it and thus stopping it, then there would be absolutely nothing stopping coupon fraud. So, how does that not make us vulnerable to lawsuits?
well if the coupon is not used in a valid way (most fraud isn't) then actually target doesn't just get the money.

well if the coupon is not used in a valid way (most fraud isn't) then actually target doesn't just get the money.

Yeah but a lot of coupon fraud doesn't just come from bad coupons, it comes from returning the items to get the full value.

Yeah but a lot of coupon fraud doesn't just come from bad coupons, it comes from returning the items to get the full value.
a ton also comes from using coupons like "garnier shampoo" for "garnier conditioner". basically same brand diff product.

a ton also comes from using coupons like "garnier shampoo" for "garnier conditioner". basically same brand diff product.

Sigh. I mean I guess, but I really wasn't looking to discuss the different semantics.

Misapplied coupons or - in extreme cases - D-coding, where the manf uses the same UPC for a raft of various products & scammers pick up on them pretty quick.
They'll buy a cartload of various products, hand the newbie cashier a wad of coupons & tell them 'just scan 'em all' hoping the cashier is too naive to know better until told otherwise.
If there are overages (like $5 off a $2.00 item), they expect the extra items ring up to keep from showing a negative balance.
In most cases, they don't care what they ACTUALLY spend because they expect to get it all back + coupon amounts.

Most people at my store do care about coupon fraud and view it as stealing. It's the ETL's who don't seem to care.

Most people at my store do care about coupon fraud and view it as stealing. It's the ETL's who don't seem to care.
It is theft. you are effectively changing prices of products and getting some for free, which is stealing. you can also go to jail for coupon fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back