Archived Crazy amount of outdated granola bars

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I finally finished the lunchbox revision, took me 6 hours, I had over 100 boxes of outdated product. Some from back to July 2018.

Clearly, it's modern to have outdated product on the shelves.

Target, you can either pay at one end and give the stockers time to FIFO, or, pay at the other end by having me extend my time to do it and risk a guest buying it.

What a waste.

When I finally finished the lunchbox revision, took me 6 hours, I had over 100 boxes of outdated product. Some from back to July 2018.

Clearly, it's modern to have outdated product on the shelves.

Target, you can either pay at one end and give the stockers time to FIFO, or, pay at the other end by having me extend my time to do it and risk a guest buying it.

What a waste.
Nope no time for that revision at my store

Same situation in our store too. How will we do FIFO when we don’t get enough time to finish day to day truck?! That too with minimal tms.

I only does it for donut kind of snacks and pizza crusts 🙄 as I have came across many outdated items while pushing .

If you didn't suck at grociery, you should be able to tell what your slow movers are and prioritize them on closing shifts during zone. Unfortunately usually if you are still a closer your so bad you don't get pushed elsewhere with more responsibility. In my stores the worst fifo offenders were checklanes.

I know store culture around food safety varies, but 100 expired items on one pog is just unacceptable. Pushing in food means you FIFO, plain and simple. You are on food team and pushed an item but did not FIFO? Well you did not push correctly. Sorry not sorry, but that is how grocery should be run. FIFO should be second nature to anyone working in food. I know of stores and leaders who want to get stuff done and decide to cut corners and not have team FIFO. Big mistake.

I know store culture around food safety varies, but 100 expired items on one pog is just unacceptable. Pushing in food means you FIFO, plain and simple. You are on food team and pushed an item but did not FIFO? Well you did not push correctly. Sorry not sorry, but that is how grocery should be run. FIFO should be second nature to anyone working in food. I know of stores and leaders who want to get stuff done and decide to cut corners and not have team FIFO. Big mistake.
Assuming market is like the rest of the store, then what do you do when the amount given to push is such a ridiculous amount that you can do it right and not get anywhere finishing the push, or you have time to barely push it all without doing anything else in the process? I'm pretty sure that market is in the same boat with the rest of us when it comes to unrealistic expectations for the time allotted.

My store used to motivate TMs to do Freshness Friday by giving out a Starbux to the person who found the oldest outdated item, or the most items (one notable winner once found three full carts of a single item type.)

Until a guest overheard everyone having fun about the piles and piles of outdates we were finding, and then we worked in silence from then on.

Assuming market is like the rest of the store, then what do you do when the amount given to push is such a ridiculous amount that you can do it right and not get anywhere finishing the push, or you have time to barely push it all without doing anything else in the process? I'm pretty sure that market is in the same boat with the rest of us when it comes to unrealistic expectations for the time allotted.

That's the point. They are already behind. So you either fire everyone and start over or something isn't getting done.

We can all say ...it should be perfect.... but that isn't realistic.

My gripe is that it all falls on whoever resets it now. It added 2 hours to my work between rotating the old to the front, sorting outdated, and defecting.

In fairness though that's just that 100 items. Given that the Isle itself can have thousands of

Sounds like someone isn’t holding teams accountable to best practices and just doing things the right way. It could be the TLs/ETLs/STLs, DTLs, but someone is letting all that slide. We don’t always come clean as far as push/backstock but our aisles are stocked with integrity. Perfect? I wish, but what’s the point doing anything if you’re just going to do it half assed?
That's the point. They are already behind. So you either fire everyone and start over or something isn't getting done.

We can all say ...it should be perfect.... but that isn't realistic.

My gripe is that it all falls on whoever resets it now. It added 2 hours to my work between rotating the old to the front, sorting outdated, and defecting.

Yes I totally agree here. It shouldn’t fall on any one person like that. Something like this should happen once, and there should be some kind of action plan in place to work towards fixing it. Snacks transitions can be a beast. But it can be much worse when you have a TM that actually wants to set it properly, but ends up doing work that should have be done by someone else (here’s looking at you Food and Bev team).

@unknown kudos to you for actually checking dates and using FIFO. Food teams everywhere are thankful for you!

Another area that needs FIFO attention is OTC drugs, the vitamin & protein supplement aisle, eye care. I've found some way old eye drops and protein powders, and I do FIFO. But if it's not done consistently by everyone who pushes product, then stuff gets missed.
And I gotta say that sometimes the way the shelves are set up, it's really difficult and time-consuming to FIFO properly. If I can't reach over product already there to add new product at the back, wow, does it seem to take forever.

I don't think we've ever had less than a full cart of outdates from a lunchbox revision or transition, it's always crazy. When we see that POG coming up we try to find a way to get at least two of us there if not all three and it still takes a big chunk of the day.

Sounds like someone isn’t holding teams accountable to best practices and just doing things the right way. It could be the TLs/ETLs/STLs, DTLs, but someone is letting all that slide. We don’t always come clean as far as push/backstock but our aisles are stocked with integrity. Perfect? I wish, but what’s the point doing anything if you’re just going to do it half assed?

Yes I totally agree here. It shouldn’t fall on any one person like that. Something like this should happen once, and there should be some kind of action plan in place to work towards fixing it. Snacks transitions can be a beast. But it can be much worse when you have a TM that actually wants to set it properly, but ends up doing work that should have be done by someone else (here’s looking at you Food and Bev team).

@unknown kudos to you for actually checking dates and using FIFO. Food teams everywhere are thankful for you!

Thank you. But the future issue is that we are behind. And starting Monday, all I'll hear from the etls is .... "You're behind. Why are you behind? Get caught up. You're behind. Get caught up. Why are you behind. Set it perfectly but get it done now. You're behind." It's a no win situation. As thankful people are about the extra work you do one day, they'll complain you are behind the next day. Oh well, such is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back