Archived Cross training at Starbucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onizuka

Service Desk TM
My ETL-HR came through my line today and asked me if I wanted to cross train at Starbucks. She says I will get scheduled there at least twice a week unless I want to transfer there permanently.

I'd like to get the pros and cons of working Starbucks. I've never worked any food related job before and Starbucks seems a bit intimidating to learn.

Also, I heard Starbucks TM's get paid more than cashiers.. If I only work there occasionally will I still get a pay raise? Or do I have to work there all the time to get the raise?

The pay bump is only if you're scheduled at SB for more than half of your weekly hours.
There's a lot of recipes to learn but there's threads about the drink basics & add-ons.
Hopefully they'll give ample time to train so you can gain confidence. Nothing worse than throwing you to the wolves with little/no training.
You'll probably cover breaks/lunches & be by yourself.
The pros: Not standing around in a checklane - there's always things to do.
Not as much emphasis on redcards since we promote the "gold" card.
Tasting/sampling your training drinks - yum!

Don't do it. The frappuccino sucking teenage girls will suck your soul as well. If not that, once the holidays come it will be the start of your slow demise. Starbucks is not worth it. You will be alone. You will be closing alone. You will be handling endless rushes alone. It will be stressful. You will laugh and cry. And your team mates become your bffs because you're literally in each other's way all day, so you have to try to make the best of it. All for an extra fifty cents an hour!

It's a handy transferable skill.
Being a barista can be some decent money out in the real world.
Working in a stand alone Starbucks (if they have any in your area) means you have better insurance and get decent tips.
My kiddo put herself through college working as a barista (well and later as a bartender, the skills are very close).

It's a handy transferable skill.
Being a barista can be some decent money out in the real world.
Working in a stand alone Starbucks (if they have any in your area) means you have better insurance and get decent tips.
My kiddo put herself through college working as a barista (well and later as a bartender, the skills are very close).
This! Working at a Target Starbucks sucks. But, it can open doors to a company store. It worked for me. And, the benefits are SO much better!!!

I can't say it's the same at every store but at mine, you're alone quite often. Guests will get annoyed waiting on a long line but as my coworker always says, they're not being forced to wait so don't get frustrated.
My team is incredibly close and we all get along so that's definitely an upside. Its better than cashiering, for me at least, but you need to be able to multitask. There's never a dull moment back in Starbucks so as long as you're capable of smiling often, even in the middle of pure craziness, then I think it's definitely worth a shot!

Don't do it. The frappuccino sucking teenage girls will suck your soul as well. If not that, once the holidays come it will be the start of your slow demise. Starbucks is not worth it. You will be alone. You will be closing alone. You will be handling endless rushes alone. It will be stressful. You will laugh and cry. And your team mates become your bffs because you're literally in each other's way all day, so you have to try to make the best of it. All for an extra fifty cents an hour!

Also, Pumpkin Spice Lattes will be the bane of your existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back