Archived Cross Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

slegab21

Self Checkout Junkie
Today was my 90 days and during the conference I had with my GSTLs, they asked if I'd be interesting in cross training. I told them I might, and that I like hardlines (the only other area I've ever experienced besides cashiering)! I was just wondering how this whole process would go. Right now, with the holidays and having just really gotten into my groove as a cashier/front end team member - I don't think I'd want to jump right in to learning a whole new area of work. Are they going to speak with me again before any actual training plans are made?

Also- if any guest service team members could tell me a little about working in that area, I'm also interested in that!

And, (one last question haha) is there a certain age I have to be to cross train in TSC? I'm not sure if my store even needs a team member for that but I would love to work in that area.

Thank you!

Congrats on surviving your 90! Welcome to the Target family.

Hardlines is pretty nice to work in if you've got a solid team and good leaders. There's a lot to do, but not necessarily a terrible lot to learn/remember. I'd say go for it! If they really want you on the floor, they might just schedule you for Sales Floor training without telling you, but ASANTS. Ideally they'll ask if you'd like to train on the floor, but I've seen people get trained without being asked, just so HR has a backup person to scheudule in a crisis.

I can't really speak on Guest Service or HR (TSC). I've never been a GSA or an HRTM, but to my knowledge I think they generally want people over 18 for HR. Don't quote me on that though!

Best of luck :)

Honestly, it takes a special person to work service desk. I've never had a guest complaint against me until I was scheduled there. Never been called names or yelled at until I was there. Deny a return to someone who wants trouble and next thing you know they've lied and said you were screaming at them and calling them a thief. But if you've got the right temperament, go for it!

Definitely cross train as soon as you can. When hours dry up in January you will want all the hours you can get. If you can get some in front end and some in hardlines you will end up with at least a decent amount of hours.

Cross-training HR isn't something you can just ask for and expect to happen. HR deals with a lot of sensitive information so if your store needs help there, they'll ask a team member they see fit for the position.

Often, cross training from cashier to salesfloor starts with the cashier helping do reshop when it's slow--sounds like you might have already done that. You may not get a dedicated training shift for hardlines, but would be helped out by others if you were actually scheduled there.
Did your GSTL mention where he wants to cross train you? It might be that he would like you to cross train in other front end jobs like Service Desk, Food Ave, or Starbucks.

Often, cross training from cashier to salesfloor starts with the cashier helping do reshop when it's slow--sounds like you might have already done that.

Exactly this. Also, having good attendance is a plus as is being able to pick up shifts. Once I got the basic gist of the floor, I'd get called in for shifts there. Never hurts to talk to your salesfloor tls/etls as well. If they like you, they may just take you to be part of their team, or at least spend part of your time there.

Often, cross training from cashier to salesfloor starts with the cashier helping do reshop when it's slow--sounds like you might have already done that. You may not get a dedicated training shift for hardlines, but would be helped out by others if you were actually scheduled there.
Did your GSTL mention where he wants to cross train you? It might be that he would like you to cross train in other front end jobs like Service Desk, Food Ave, or Starbucks.

I have done that before! And helped zone certain sections as well. My GSA is actually always the one to ask me to help - and some of the leads on floor have asked him to send me before. Both of my GSTLs are kind of stretched thin/not around much and I don't think they have anything in mind for me really, at least not that I know of. I'd be open to pretty much anything though! Thanks for the input!

Cross-training HR isn't something you can just ask for and expect to happen. HR deals with a lot of sensitive information so if your store needs help there, they'll ask a team member they see fit for the position.

ahh, okay! I was thinking there must be a certain requirement, that's why I asked about age. It's just something I'm interested in future wise. Maybe not even necessarily at Target. Thanks for the input!

Usually I only let my new TMs cross train into other Front End roles right after their 90 days. Partially because I want to keep good talent on my team and partially because I want to make sure I have a very global front end team. After they learn the other front end roles, then I'm more willing to send them to the salesfloor.

Usually I only let my new TMs cross train into other Front End roles right after their 90 days. Partially because I want to keep good talent on my team and partially because I want to make sure I have a very global front end team. After they learn the other front end roles, then I'm more willing to send them to the salesfloor.

Good to know, thank you!!

I want to keep good talent on my team and partially because I want to make sure I have a very global front end team.

Haha. I started as a cashier, then transitioned to salesfloor and other things. My ETL-GE and GSTLs were not pleased. They wanted me to stay on the front end. Oddly enough, they refused my requests to train in food ave and guest service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back