Archived Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I totally understand that but then you get to the issue of team leads not only putting in little effort work wise but also not being able to run their team effectively
Or the opposite is the TL working physically alot but can handle team management issues like accommodations for those who are temporary decreased in capacity or accuracy. Its always a balance.

Reading your post I would say you're missing the most important part of leadership; mentality. 80% of leadership is mentality.

I seen a lot of you saying what you do and comparing your work ethic to other leaders. You have to change your mindset and your interview answers to reflect how to fix the opportunities your workcenter suffers currently. Thinking is the most important aspect. Working with your team to accomplish goals. Basically you have to broaden your scope to the entire business and how you can work with the team to positively impact the company.

There are people who know more than me. We have TMs who been with the company for longer than I lived. However, can they lead a team? No. Leadership is all about mentality, understanding, and impacting a team.

You have the knowledge and work ethic, but I would say work on thinking on a bigger scale and change from what "I" do to what "we" going to do.

My favorite quote about Leadership is "A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way."

If you have a bunch of examples for these 3 descriptions, you can be a leader.

At Target, however, (Especially at my store) it is extremely political. I was pretty much blacklisted from any TL discussions after I stood up for myself when I was a PA in market (A TL, who the entire store, TL down, and probably half of ETLs despised, as they legit did no work and complained about every little thing a TM did when they actually "worked") came up with the brilliant idea of having us PAs, (literally two of us, and were the only ones scheduled in market for the entire day) be the first TM's to back up Pharmacy.

Seeing my work center falling down around me, I said fuck that, and had a slight outburst at a huddle one day. (Lol). (I got coached, and a week later, it was announced the Pharmacy would become CVS, and we WEREN'T allowed to back it up).

Now as Signing TM, my store is starting to back around to me

My favorite quote about Leadership is "A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way."

If you have a bunch of examples for these 3 descriptions, you can be a leader.

At Target, however, (Especially at my store) it is extremely political. I was pretty much blacklisted from any TL discussions after I stood up for myself when I was a PA in market (A TL, who the entire store, TL down, and probably half of ETLs despised, as they legit did no work and complained about every little thing a TM did when they actually "worked") came up with the brilliant idea of having us PAs, (literally two of us, and were the only ones scheduled in market for the entire day) be the first TM's to back up Pharmacy.

Seeing my work center falling down around me, I said fuck that, and had a slight outburst at a huddle one day. (Lol). (I got coached, and a week later, it was announced the Pharmacy would become CVS, and we WEREN'T allowed to back it up).

Now as Signing TM, my store is starting to back around to me
Wow, you are like the Gengis Kahn of Target.

I’ve noticed that most tms wanting to promote always feel they do more than their leaders because they physically do more work. It’s not about that, it’s about training and developing the team to be self sufficient whether their team leader is there or not.
in my store what that looks like is a trainer or mentor doing the team leaders job for him while not getting paid for it while the TL stocks and the mentor runs the team. This is ongoing for years. It is unethical considering most of the mentor/trainer positions were teamlead posistions at one time.

in my store what that looks like is a trainer or mentor doing the team leaders job for him while not getting paid for it while the TL stocks and the mentor runs the team. This is ongoing for years. It is unethical considering most of the mentor/trainer positions were teamlead posistions at one time.
but if you buy the propaganda go for it

Question for you, in my mock interviews, a question I seem to struggle with the most is “Name a time you introduced a new process to a leader, what was it, how did the leader take it and what was the result?

I struggle with this question the most and just can’t seem to come up with a “high scope” answer, any advice on an example you’d provide?
Some of us get nervous at interviews and get a brain freeze and don't give a satisfying answer since the questions are psychological but doesn't mean we will struggle to lead. Easy to introduce new processes to a leader but we have to use the DTL or BP process so how far does our own process get?

There’s nothing unethical about a tm training a peer and helping run a process lol

There’s nothing unethical about a tm training a peer and helping run a process lol
When the TM has been doing the TL jobs for over a year, it is not training. The TL stocks shelves while the TM runs the team. That is not training it is delegating all of your supervisory duties to someone who is not paid to do it.

When the TM has been doing the TL jobs for over a year, it is not training. The TL stocks shelves while the TM runs the team. That is not training it is delegating all of your supervisory duties to someone who is not paid to do it.
You mad , bro?

This is how its done. I know you have your opinion, and it seems like it matters to you, but, spot does not run on your opinion. So calm down.

YEs I am mad, because the turnover amongst etlis so high that ppl who have done the TLs job for them for years get past over. Those people doing the TL jobs are taken advantage of and passed over for promotion. This has a chilling effect on the work the rest of the team does. They see ppl not being rewarded for taking on extra responsibility and the NOT my job mentality sets in. Its a real problem.

Why even have Team Leads then? Your job is basically not needed if a TM who makes the same as everyone else can do it.

What exactly is this TM doing?
More to the point, why don’t you want the TL to have some breathing room and kick back for a while, or a year.
That being said, this TM is not doing all if the TLs duties. The TM simply can not.
Do you love your TL?

What exactly is this TM doing?
More to the point, why don’t you want the TL to have some breathing room and kick back for a while, or a year.
That being said, this TM is not doing all if the TLs duties. The TM simply can not.
Do you love your TL?
Lets see, the TM does not open the door. He acknowledges the truck, runs the unload, delgates all stocking responsibilities, follows up w/ everyone to see how they are doing, calls break, asks ppl to stay late because we are never done on time since active TLs left.

Lets see, the TM does not open the door. He acknowledges the truck, runs the unload, delgates all stocking responsibilities, follows up w/ everyone to see how they are doing, calls break, asks ppl to stay late because we are never done on time since active TLs left.
That sounds like a team captain than a Team Lead to me.... is this TM coaching others ,writing PDDs, does this TM statuses with ETL and STL? Does this TM have SAP and email access? Does this TM do interviews? I bet the answer to all of those is NO.
As far as “getting done”. Thats never going to happen, unless I am on your team.

A TM can’t do the TLs job because they can’t do everything that you say the TL isn’t doing. It’s not like the TM is interviewing or performance managing the team. If you’re told to do something by your leader that you don’t agree with, communicate. Other than that, it’s perfectly acceptable.

A TM can’t do the TLs job because they can’t do everything that you say the TL isn’t doing. It’s not like the TM is interviewing or performance managing the team. If you’re told to do something by your leader that you don’t agree with, communicate. Other than that, it’s perfectly acceptable.
In your mind, many grunts do not feel this way. Interviewing, pfft, that is not work buddy. Flirting in the office with HR and playing with your phone is not leading.

ETL and salaried managers do not care about anything other than meeting numbers to get bonuses. The people at district do not give a damn what is really going on as long as the store looks nice for the visit every now and again. Everyone is just biding their time to till they find a job in the field they studied in at college or until they can interview for a promotion. Resumes filled with lies about proven b;lahblah meanwhile they cannot even figure out basic retail ideas like scheduling more people on days that their are trucks.

In your mind, many grunts do not feel this way. Interviewing, pfft, that is not work buddy. Flirting in the office with HR and playing with your phone is not leading.
ETL and salaried managers do not care about anything other than meeting numbers to get bonuses. The people at district do not give a damn what is really going on as long as the store looks nice for the visit every now and again. Everyone is just biding their time to till they find a job in the field they studied in at college or until they can interview for a promotion. Resumes filled with lies about proven b;lahblah meanwhile they cannot even figure out basic retail ideas like scheduling more people on days that their are trucks.
So.... you are pretty jaded...... its you against the machine. You have been wronged. Everyone else is shit, and don’t deserve the positions they are in. If you were in their shoes you would do a stellar job. They suck.

Development quite simple is business minded. What I find, and leadership correct me if I'm wrong, is that it is seeing the big picture. What I mean by that is, if your end goal is to finish pushing that shopping cart from the fitting room to the cart corral, then do just that. Mind you @Shelf Stocker, I'm just using you as an example because of your responses, you are being looked at everyday by everyone. What I have seen lead people to getting promoted is not always the "kiss ass, interview well" approach. Some just knew Business. What I mean by that is I can do that task I just stated and get several other things done while doing said task. (Help a guest, quick touch up of an end cap, help a tm with a team lift,) just to name a few extra things. Everyday quite simple is an "Interview" so to speak. As said before, you could be a "Rockstar", but if you come of as @Planosss (just using you as an example) As a "Know it all" attitude wise, your going to be right were you are and never be promoted. I'll take it a step further and say someone with a more business sense come in and get said promotion before you.

Development quite simple is business minded. What I find, and leadership correct me if I'm wrong, is that it is seeing the big picture. What I mean by that is, if your end goal is to finish pushing that shopping cart from the fitting room to the cart corral, then do just that. Mind you @Shelf Stocker, I'm just using you as an example because of your responses, you are being looked at everyday by everyone. What I have seen lead people to getting promoted is not always the "kiss ass, interview well" approach. Some just knew Business. What I mean by that is I can do that task I just stated and get several other things done while doing said task. (Help a guest, quick touch up of an end cap, help a tm with a team lift,) just to name a few extra things. Everyday quite simple is an "Interview" so to speak. As said before, you could be a "Rockstar", but if you come of as @Planosss (just using you as an example) As a "Know it all" attitude wise, your going to be right were you are and never be promoted. I'll take it a step further and say someone with a more business sense come in and get said promotion before you.
To also add, doing "grunt work only" is not the end all be all to get promoted. How have you corrected opprunties within your said store that helped the store or someone else. These are the tough questions that require more than, "I just pushed the cart to the corral" Good luck

Ouch, only in todays society a “know-it all” a “jack of all trades” can have a negative connotation:D

Reactions: Him
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back