Day of the Dead Barbie

Did any of the Target stores get this new Barbie? I've had a ton of guests in the past couple days asking, but I can't even find a DPCI for it. Though, online articles have said that Target is getting it. Anyone know anything about it?

I had a guest call about it last week and she had a DPCI for it. Typing it into the zebra showed it was sold online only. But an article I saw from Newsweek said it would be available in stores starting this past Thursday. Does not show up on our website though.

I hope my store gets that. We have a lot of Latinx guests, so I'm sure it would sell. The Dia de los Muertos decorations always sell really well.

Did any of the Target stores get this new Barbie? I've had a ton of guests in the past couple days asking, but I can't even find a DPCI for it. Though, online articles have said that Target is getting it. Anyone know anything about it?
[/QUOTE
I got a few guest looking for this as well. None in our location either.

Enough of this “cultural appropriation” crap. You’re not using aspects of others’ culture unless you appreciate them, as long as you’re not mocking it. How else did pizza and tacos get ingrained in America’s culture?
And Chinese takeout and sushi. And Cinco de Mayo, which is a far, far bigger holiday in the US than it is for Mexico. And vodka.

Guess we should only acknowledge white European holidays. That'll go over well.
Not the argument. Our culture is like our language, it not just steals from others, it knocks them cold in a dark alley and commits grand theft. Some people think that absorbing other cultures' traditions is making fun of them though.

Enough of this “cultural appropriation” crap. You’re not using aspects of others’ culture unless you appreciate them, as long as you’re not mocking it. How else did pizza and tacos get ingrained in America’s culture?

There are some things that actually have significance to a culture that go beyond the day to day like food and clothing.
A good example is the Cheyenne or Sioux Headdress.
The war bonnets were made for special occasions and were hand stitched with a great deal of ceremony going into the details.
No two were alike.
They were worn at important ceremonies and dances.
And we have turned them into some kind of bullshit that kids wear for Halloween costumes and hipsters girls wear to Bonnaroo.

This has happened a lot.
So I tend to listen to my First Nation friends etc. when they tell me it is going on.

I really loathe the term cultural appropriation. I've even had people argue that wearing a claddagh ring if you're not Irish is CA. Ludicrous. I will wear what I want, listen to what I want, style and color my hair the way I want, and decorate my house the way I want, and if no else likes it they can kiss my ass.

I get your point about the Indian headdresses @commiecorvus. If something is used in a sacred ceremony, that does give the item more gravitas and it should be respected to a certain extent.

There are some things that actually have significance to a culture that go beyond the day to day like food and clothing.
The war bonnets were made for special occasions and were hand stitched with a great deal of ceremony going into the details.
No two were alike.
And we have turned them into some kind of bullshit that kids wear for Halloween costumes and hipsters girls wear to Bonnaroo.

This has happened a lot.
So I tend to listen to my First Nation friends etc. when they tell me it is going on.
I agree there are certain things that are that are scared that shouldn’t be taken from a culture for your entertainment, and I tend to be liberal on social issues. But for goodness sake, Mexicans play with Barbies. This isn’t like Kim Kardashian dressing up in a Dia De Los Muertos style outfit. It’s just making Mexican kids feel recognized.

No two were alike.

This has happened a lot.
But it still can be melted into the great melting pot. When I was a teen a multi-year drought happened and after a few years a nearby ski resort hired the local Native American tribes to do a snow dance because the snow pack was so low. And the Native Americans that were hired were in full regalia conducting a ceremony to call for snow to fall on behalf of the ski resort. Quite the interesting fusion of the traditional beliefs and modern living.

That's the thing though isn't it? A lot of people don't like the dominant group adopting things from a minority group's culture because some people like the culture, but don't appreciate the people...

That's the thing though isn't it? A lot of people don't like the dominant group adopting things from a minority group's culture because some people like the culture, but don't appreciate the people...
Ok, I can see what you’re saying about talking shit about a culture’s people but using things from their culture anyway. But what if they’re just innocent people who like the culture?

And also, if white people told minorities they can’t use things from their culture, they’d be called racist (and rightfully so)

Last edited:
Back