Day of the Dead Barbie

But it still can be melted into the great melting pot. When I was a teen a multi-year drought happened and after a few years a nearby ski resort hired the local Native American tribes to do a snow dance because the snow pack was so low. And the Native Americans that were hired were in full regalia conducting a ceremony to call for snow to fall on behalf of the ski resort. Quite the interesting fusion of the traditional beliefs and modern living.

Which is different from if a bunch of white frat boys had gotten dressed up in the regalia and done the ceremony, then defended themselves saying they were honoring the First Nation tribes.
The totem pole is a tradition up here and it is often modernized to a certain degree but they are still a ceremonial item not some way to sell things.
Having someone who isn't from the South East tribes (Tlingit, Haida, Bella Coola, etc) carve a totem pole, then displaying it will bring a lot of misery.

But if white people told minorities they can’t take things from their culture, they would be called racist (and rightfully so), so I don’t really buy that argument

Since we started out by forcing our culture on them (being convinced that it was far superior to anything they had), I don't think that's much of an argument.
The fact that they were able to hang on to anything after our colonization is pretty amazing.

But it still shows the dominant culture of the US sucking in an aspect of another culture. While I had not heard of a snow dance before that year, everyone's heard of rain dances. I think it was even in a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Interesting to hear guests came in with the DPCI because as far as I know I was the only one with the DPCI before I posed it on a reddit thread where someone asked for it. Crazy how it spreads throughout the collector community.

Ok, I can see what you’re saying about talking shit about a culture’s people but using things from their culture anyway. But what if they’re just innocent people who like the culture?

And also, if white people told minorities they can’t use things from their culture, they’d be called racist (and rightfully so)
Ok, I can see what you’re saying about talking shit about a culture’s people but using things from their culture anyway. But what if they’re just innocent people who like the culture?

And also, if white people told minorities they can’t use things from their culture, they’d be called racist (and rightfully so)

Let's not try and act like Mexicans in general are treated well in this country, though, so let's start there. Acknowledging that is the first step.

Trying to genuinely learn about a different culture and respectfully trying to partake in that culture's celebrations, while gaining a true appreciation for the people is different.

Chanting "Build the Wall" While in the country of Mexico, partaking in the culture is another.

My point (which would have been more successfully delivered in sarcasm font) is you can't win with some people. If you, a presumed member of the majority culture, pay tribute to a minority holiday, you're accused of cultural appropriation. If you avoid that accusation by only acknowledging the holidays of your own culture, you're berated for not being inclusive. No winning.

did we ever carry this ??? online or in store ???

Item Number (DPCI): 086-06-9305

where can i get this other than eBay ???

Back