DBO routines

I'm the opening boys/girls/infants DBO, so I usually get there anywhere from 6am-9am. I do the floor audit if no one else has done it, walk my floor and do quick branding on the racetrack. Usually after that I'll check to see how much freight has been processed and then go do my one for one pulls... which is where I end up spending my whole day since the pulls for kids all together are usually over 1000.

Before the pulls started getting huge, other DBO things I would do would be to tie POGs and fix their capacities, and push as much freight as I could. Style's hours right now are low, I only get about 25-28 a week, except for last week where I got a full 40 for inventory and inventory prep.

Our TL's and ETL are kinda unbothered about everything, they know my pulls are huge and don't really have a solution for it. They know kid's is getting a ton of a freight and also don't have a solution for it besides getting another team member from a different area in Style who didn't have much freight/pulls to help push kids freight.

I am the DBO for dairy. On a truck day, I come in and complete the Check Date Audit and then I access my area. If milk needs filling, I do that before starting my one for one. After that it’s time to push truck.

walk my area, especially high traffic spots.
clean up any shit piles in my back room - left by others
usually pull-push 1 for 1s.
freight & backstock - zoning as I go.
pricing labels, and clearance

I check to see upcoming REV and Endcaps. I set as soon as my strips arrive. I try my best to set endcaps as the product arrives. Goal is to be ahead of the game, so product flows straight to the floor. Usually complete 1-2 tasks a day.
Goal is to Research at least 1x a month through an entire department. Hope for more, but hours & workload don't always allow. I do routinely spot Research hard hit POGs.

I am already setting into the November workload.

I check to see upcoming REV and Endcaps. I set as soon as my strips arrive. I try my best to set endcaps as the product arrives. Goal is to be ahead of the game, so product flows straight to the floor. Usually complete 1-2 tasks a day.
Goal is to Research at least 1x a month through an entire department. Hope for more, but hours & workload don't always allow. I do routinely spot Research hard hit POGs.

What dept do you work in?
How big are your 1:1s?
How many vehicles of push on average?

I’m the DBO for front of store (Bullseye, checklanes, and CB1). First thing I do is check to see how much freight I have for the day, usually 1-2 uboats (during transition it might be as many as 4). Next I head to the front to zone/do reshop for an hour. I don’t usually have one for ones or backstock. After zoning, I push freight. I work 4.5 hour days so sometimes that’s all I get done. If I don’t finish my push, my TL will try to get someone to help out after I leave. Mondays I check to see whether I have anything to set that week. Sometimes it’s 12 checklanes or all of CB1 or a complete transition of Bullseye, which can take me several days. I do get a lot of support from guest services, mainly for the checklanes, which I appreciate.

When you say research? What do you mean? I keep coming across this word in target lingo and no one's explained it.

When you say research? What do you mean? I keep coming across this word in target lingo and no one's explained it.

If you have an out on the salesfloor, researching is trying to figure out if you have the item that is supposed to go there and if so where. If the item is located in the back but not getting pulled out, then you need to check and adjust the floor counts. If it's not located in the back, but you have an on hands count, then you try to find the item and fill the floor/locate the rest/audit it out.

In fulfillment researching is using the available information to attempt to locate an item before INFing it.

I’m the DBO for front of store (Bullseye, checklanes, and CB1). First thing I do is check to see how much freight I have for the day, usually 1-2 uboats (during transition it might be as many as 4). Next I head to the front to zone/do reshop for an hour. I don’t usually have one for ones or backstock. After zoning, I push freight. I work 4.5 hour days so sometimes that’s all I get done. If I don’t finish my push, my TL will try to get someone to help out after I leave. Mondays I check to see whether I have anything to set that week. Sometimes it’s 12 checklanes or all of CB1 or a complete transition of Bullseye, which can take me several days. I do get a lot of support from guest services, mainly for the checklanes, which I appreciate.
My mind is drawing a blank. What is cb1?

Research/Audit --

All freight must be complete
All backstock must be complete
Zone should be perfect

I zone as I go, and check every OUT or Critical Low in an aisle. I also zone as I stock.

OUT -- out of stock item
Critical Low -- Item has fewer On Hand numbers than the amount of Facings. ie. Coffee has 6 facings, and only 5 items On Hand = Critical Low

Scan it using the AUDIT function -- enter how many you have On Hand, and it will ask you to check all the tied locations. You must be very aware of any SHIPPERS or Pallets of product you may have in the backroom. Lots of shippers this time of year.

As I zone, I make sure all locations have "some" product. ie Empty home location? pull some from the endcap.

Audit changes the OH counts for the store, and should be used carefully.

there's more to it, but that's a start.... also touch base with your leaders before auditing, if you are new

*with great power comes great responsibility*

@BurgerBob

Last edited:
Oh OK. We have been doing it all along in tech. I just never knew that was researching. We are a high security store so we are constantly adjusting floor amounts and keeping track of inventory.

Personal care & OTC here. First shift I have after Sunday's ad set, I walk my area and make sure all the signs are current, headers on end caps are correct. Usually, I work ad set and put up my own signs but not always. (And I've learned the hard way it's a good idea to double-check myself.)
Check my end caps and side caps, make sure they're neat and well-stocked.
Collect re-shop and take care of what I collected at the front.
Pull my 1-for-1 batches and push.
Push my truck and back stock, zoning as I go. Maybe some touch-up zoning needed after that, but not usually.
Scan for outs at least once a week, unless I have a bunch of sales planners or revisions to do.

Then it depends on the day and how much time I have left. Try to get price changes done early in the week, just to get it out of the way (and so no one else puts labels in the wrong place - it happens with some frequency).
Try to get SPs and REVs going when they're still 2 weeks out because getting that much of a jump on them means I get them done before they're due. And the less I have to back stock the new stuff, the better. Did the gift set one yesterday because I already had about 1/3, got 1/3 more yesterday so I had just a few gaps which were filled today - perfect!
I try to move through the whole area and do a deep zone and audit once a month, doing a couple of valleys per week. With the increased number of trucks we're getting and fill-in TMs doing my push on days I'm not there, I'm finding just a ton more mistakes.
Check drug and nutrition products for expiration dates.
Fix a side cap that's turned into a disaster.
Replace waco boxes that are falling apart.
Catch and fix errors that others are making, like today's back stocking 5 cases when someone back erroneously back stocked 5 eaches. (Why would someone put 5 bottles of this stuff on the very top shelf? Answer was they didn't. Oy.)

Back