DBO routines

Hello. I am a new DBO of home and my TL has not gone over my DBO routines yet. Please help. Also, I have been frequently asked to help out with other area's truck and it has not allowed my to get done what I need to in my area. Any suggestions on what to do?

Basic GM routine:
-Check sales
-Brand walk:
-Reshop/Zone/EC fill from the home/check signing/scan outs (technically not here, but it will drop items into your one for one if it's on the back, which helps fill the floor)
-One for ones
-Truck push
-Set endcaps/Revisions/Price changes/Other projects as needed
-Zone again
-Head out for the day

If you have home decor (Hearth and Hand, Innovation flat, etc) you may need to spend a little more time merchandising those areas, but it's up to your TL to give you some guidelines and timelines

First things first: Talk to your team lead, tell them that you would like to know what their daily expectations and priorities are and ask for suggestions on how to achieve the best outcomes.

As for being asked to help out in other areas, let whoever asked you know you are not available to help until your freight is done. Unless they have a specific plan for getting your work done if you don't do it yourself.

Some routines vary by store so asking your TL is best. I never check sales, our cashiers work reshop so I never do that, our closers zone so I only touch up as I work my 141s in the morning.

As for being asked to help out in other areas, let whoever asked you know you are not available to help until your freight is done. Unless they have a specific plan for getting your work done if you don't do it yourself.

Some routines vary by store so asking your TL is best. I never check sales, our cashiers work reshop so I never do that, our closers zone so I only touch up as I work my 141s in the morning.
Our ETL usually "reassigns" to another area based on need and scheduling. For us, this reassignment is only questioned if you'd like a closed door meeting.😉 We are required to check sales comps and were given comp% goal increases that need to be met by our next review. Reshop must be picked up and worked following each break/lunch or if called out by Guest Service. The first 5-10 minutes of each shift we are supposed to walk our area and do a touch up zone of endcaps and then zone as we go as freight is pushed.

Hello. I am a new DBO of home and my TL has not gone over my DBO routines yet. Please help. Also, I have been frequently asked to help out with other area's truck and it has not allowed my to get done what I need to in my area. Any suggestions on what to do?
It’s 4th quarter. All rules are thrown out the window. Just do as they ask and do it quickly. They will appreciate you.

I work in consumables where ever needed.

I am grateful that I don't have to do this.

Does being a DBO pay more?

Your cashiers actually put reshop away? That's wild.

I never check sales, never do resets, SPs or use the VMG. I do price changes and 141s, reshop, zone, push freight.

I work in consumables where ever needed.

I am grateful that I don't have to do this.

Does being a DBO pay more?

Nope. You just get that fancy acronym that people don’t even know exist. But I guess you get more hours since you have to do a lot of stuff throughtout the day. You do more stuff for the same pay!

My routine:
Check end caps and side caps, straighten and potentially fill from home locations.
Walk my area and pick up reshop.
Pull my one-for-one batches and push.
Push my truck, zoning as I go, doing a final touch-up when I finish the push for an aisle and before I move on. (I work my area from one end to the other, not hopping around.)
Back stock.
That's all minimum for a shift on a truck day.

Depending on what I have time for and what's going on -
Price change.
Scan for outs.
Sales planners / revisions / transitions.
Deep zone, check expiration dates.
Back room audit. (This is ongoing, sometimes only a few wacos at a time, keeping a list of what I've done when.)

As for your TL pulling you away from your area to push another area - is your area a P1 and are you being moved to a P2? If so, that's not good. Guests who are shopping for P1 products aren't going to be happy not finding that stuff on shelves.
Also, keep in mind that 4th quarter means some areas (toys, seasonal, electronics) just needs more help at this time of year. January will be different.

When you have transitions, revisions and SPs, prioritize them. They're not something you can just "squeeze in."
Definitely. SPs are sometimes pretty quick, but I've learned the hard way to take a good look at what's moving where because sometimes it's kind of like dominoes with end caps. And in my area, some end caps are short and some are tall - something that's pretty obvious but I didn't think about it when deciding which sales planner to put on which end cap during one round. Duh.
Likewise, revisions can be quick sometimes and it really helps to get the label strips in on time. When I have revisions or transitions, I get my label strips out of the box as soon as possible. Too many TMs get messing around in the box and some label strips seem to get lost. :-(

Definitely. SPs are sometimes pretty quick, but I've learned the hard way to take a good look at what's moving where because sometimes it's kind of like dominoes with end caps. And in my area, some end caps are short and some are tall - something that's pretty obvious but I didn't think about it when deciding which sales planner to put on which end cap during one round. Duh.
Likewise, revisions can be quick sometimes and it really helps to get the label strips in on time. When I have revisions or transitions, I get my label strips out of the box as soon as possible. Too many TMs get messing around in the box and some label strips seem to get lost. :-(
Wait you shouldnt be decidig which sales planners go where. There is an adjacency that tells you what end caps each one is supposed to go on. If you cheat and put it wherever you think you are going to end up replacing sales planners that should still be up and leaving sales planners that are discontinued up for longer then they should.

Wait you shouldnt be decidig which sales planners go where. There is an adjacency that tells you what end caps each one is supposed to go on. If you cheat and put it wherever you think you are going to end up replacing sales planners that should still be up and leaving sales planners that are discontinued up for longer then they should.

AMEN I was a plano TL for years and kept trying to explain that to my store, they never could figure it out

I'm still pissed that I spent several days last year moving everyone's endcaps around to adjacency, and actually physically labeling the endcap with which one went there, then the GMTLs said "screw it" and moved them all around again, and now they complain "they sent us too many endcaps!!"

I'm still pissed that I spent several days last year moving everyone's endcaps around to adjacency, and actually physically labeling the endcap with which one went there, then the GMTLs said "screw it" and moved them all around again, and now they complain "they sent us too many endcaps!!"
Same here, except I wasn't smart enough to label the physical endcaps. It all comes back to this myth that making shit up is faster and easier than following a plan.

Same here, except I wasn't smart enough to label the physical endcaps. It all comes back to this myth that making shit up is faster and easier than following a plan.
THIS!!! I tell them that they pay someone way more money than we make, in a place almost as cold as this one, to plan this so we don't have to and all I hear are chirping crickets.

Last edited:
Maybe in your area. Mine is small enough that ALL the end caps are set in the same week. Which is why I start them a week ahead if I can and have enough product to put on them.

Maybe in your area. Mine is small enough that ALL the end caps are set in the same week. Which is why I start them a week ahead if I can and have enough product to put on them.
Setting them early is fine, even encouraged, but you still should follow the adjacency. Idk why anyone would just wing it when they lay it all out for you. It just creates more work in the long run.

Setting them early is fine, even encouraged, but you still should follow the adjacency. Idk why anyone would just wing it when they lay it all out for you. It just creates more work in the long run.
It's so few that it's not more work. And when the POG tells me to fit 7 shelves when only 6 will fit with the product on them, what's the point? (This is on one of my tallest end caps - it's not like I had a taller one.) That's what would have happened with one of the holiday gift set end caps had I not noticed at the beginning. It's making more work for myself to do it just the way they say, finding out it won't work, and then having to start over. And unfortunately, that's not the first time that's happened. Which is why I've learned this the hard way.
When they lay it all out for me in a way that actually works and makes sense, great! Until then, I'll figure out placement on my own.

Back