DBO thread

Another one, check for sale sign accuracy early in the week, especially if your area has flexed end caps. Reprint anything that's missing. Also, if applicable replace any missing/broken label holders/label strip holders.
Alternatively, deep zone/superzone something, including dusting, checking for zone assists (the little black tabs on the pegs), taking a cleanser to dirty shelves, etc.

Just curious how everyone is managing their DBOs and how it’s working out!

Down days are the hardest to figure out so we’re still running trial and error at our store.

So far not to bad. Usually team in commodity areas come in at 630 check to see if there are price accuracy labels bang those out, check for reshop, grab pulls. Truck size determines which SL and revision get done. TL jumps in and helps when necessary. Still trying to figure out good routines for marking clearance...

My TL was concerned about how long it took to do 3 pages of price change, pull autos and then push them. 3 pages of price change is gonna take more than five minutes. Pulling 150 eaches for my auto is going to take a few minutes, especially when I need to help out another TM lifting a heavy item. And then I needed to take my break. I thought I got through it all pretty quick actually

Thank you. I almost wish our DBOs had free time! We’re having trouble completing workload most days!

I don’t think any of our DBOs ever have free time.....
Right now I feel like most still barely get their truck done, or the ones that do end up completing early gets places to help another section push to prevent rollovers.

Being a DBO for Tech at least at my store it’s rare to have free time because there is always something to do. We are the only department tho is always caught up on Truck/Backstock/Reshop & the department gets zoned 2x daily and audited daily. Come Q4 we should still be in good standing but this could always be a different Q4 then the previous.

If you're running low on stuff to do, a good impact on BR is to see if someone will teach you to SWADD (or whatever it's called now) your aisle. This is only a weekend gig for me now, but I've spent many hours building pallets to go back to DC. I think I had 2 pallets worth to send back in 4 sections of chemicals. Much more effective than wiping sections, re-working to the floor and finding space to backstock. After you finish SWADDing, you can start to mimic the backroom to match the sales floor and keep a better monitor on your backroom/floor counts.

I stand corrected to say Electronics and Beauty are the only two areas that are ever 100% on truck, price change, pulls audits and exfs, revisions etc daily. Every other area seem to have either truck roll over or falls behind on a process like price change etc for the next day.

I don't think my work is ever finished....

I might finish a task, but the actual work is never done...

Like others said:
zone
pricing - labels - pull BR batches
set SP/REV
Purge - clean up/out BR
Reshop
OUTS/EXF
AUDITS
Fill Endcaps
PTM - purge D-code
Fix missing labels, signs, and fix broken things, etc....
Update capacities and SFQs

no to mention back up cashier
look at sales numbers
plan for upcoming workload...

Oh yeah, push freight, autofills, CAFs, and backstock as I go

12 steps -- paying close attention to dates if in an area like Market or HBA or Baby Food

----
For an area like toys, I'd probably drop Man-Cafs vs. Purging all of the stockroom. Assuming your freight has been pushed correctly for awhile now, and the BR has been clean - vs. a shitshow combo in freight and BR.

So, I'd zone an area on the salesfloor like Toy1 and then drop Cafs. Our Toy BR is a hot-mess. So after dropping Man-Cafs for an aisle in the BR, I'd then go back to the BR and completely clean up that aisle.
Then I'd hit up another dept/Toy2, etc.

I figured since I saw this topic frustrated people in many other posts, that I would comment on it more here.

It seems like the new Target standard for the “experts” in their respective departments which the TMs now supposedly “own,” is between 15-20 hours a week.

In my situation I receive typically five, 4 hour shifts in a week (a good week). That equates to 18.75 hours minus break time. My store is open 8am-10pm. So I am expected to take ownership of a department while not being there 81% of the time? Something tells me this is going to result in a lot of CAs and frustrated TMs.

merge-traffic-control-sign-k-0503.png

So back in July I was approached by my ETL if I wanted to work on development into a TL for the future, well I've been doing the best I can and have gone out of my comfort zone a lot since we had that conversation. Recently I was appointed a DBO role for housewares and my new SD said that the best development I could have would come with running my area. So now that I'm in the pipeline (which I just learned is what you called people before the bench) does anyone have suggestions of how to help put myself out there to get more notoriety and experience for a interview or tips of how to be a better DBO. Everywhere I see people always gripe about having more work to do and how DBO's are so miserable but I truly like it, I love working and even if I don't/can't become a lead I'm still just trying to make my store as best as possible because I love my store.

I hope someone can help me, thank you guys!

(this might be reposted on other subs because I really am looking for as many answers as possible)

Couple of things to think about boys and girls. First of all you are NOT a business owner. They have to trash these bullshit terms and stop sugar coating the positions. This is a make you feel good stupid assed term for "do the whole damned dept, do it fast then faster, make no errors and hold yourself totally accountable for everything. All for 13 clams an hour while some (not all) ETL's sit on their basket weaving degree asses side eyeing everything you do. Just do your thing and don't take it too seriously, be careful and stay healthy and have fun with the foolishness. You'll get something better, you really will. Captains orders.

Couple of things to think about boys and girls. First of all you are NOT a business owner. They have to trash these bullshit terms and stop sugar coating the positions. This is a make you feel good stupid assed term for "do the whole damned dept, do it fast then faster, make no errors and hold yourself totally accountable for everything. All for 13 clams an hour while some (not all) ETL's sit on their basket weaving degree asses side eyeing everything you do. Just do your thing and don't take it too seriously, be careful and stay healthy and have fun with the foolishness. You'll get something better, you really will. Captains orders.
I laughed a little too hard at this.

i will follow this to a T !!

The only real issue I have with all this is that we have gotten just about ZERO guidance on how to implement this in our area. I have learned literally everything about Modernization and DBOs from this forum. I am way ahead of everyone else simply because I read all about it here and I knew what to expect.

No one has actually been assigned a specific department yet. There's been mention of who is being considered for what area, but no "*TM*, you are now officially the DBO of *department* - here's a checklist of what you are expected to do on a daily/weekly/monthly basis."

Back