Archived Dealing with a lazy co worker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triscuit

Pricing Ninja
So I work with this person, and she is the laziest person I have ever encountered. And by lazy, I mean LAZY. Things have been said before by me, by other coworkers, team leads, etc. but she still doesn't change. It's gotten to that point where I want to change work centers because I feel like I am the only one doing the work and its overwhelming. She is always talking to her boyfriend on the phone, eating/drinking, twirling her hair, all while on the clock and on the floor. Yes, on the floor in front of guests. What really set me off was the other day she took over an hour to get back from lunch because she was sitting in the back talking on the phone. She will clock out to take her lunch, then clock back in and go sit down for a while. Her breaks are even worse, those consist of 20-30 minutes and she will take multiple breaks, more than she is allowed.
I just do not know how to get somebody to do something about this. She also calls off all the time and I honestly don't know how she still has a job. Why do they keep her around? Does anybody have any suggestions on what I could do? I like my workcenter, but if it means not working with her anymore, it might just be worth it to switch to somewhere else

Document when she takes breaks she's not supposed to and be sure to be accurate.
Then you can have a talk with your TL and hope they will take it from there.
Keep in mind that this will not get done right away andyyou will be stuck with the lazy TM for a while.

Document when she takes breaks she's not supposed to and be sure to be accurate.
Then you can have a talk with your TL and hope they will take it from there.
Keep in mind that this will not get done right away andyyou will be stuck with the lazy TM for a while.

Yeah this has been going on for over a month now. It sucks being stuck with someone lazy.Whenever she calls off I get so happy, even if it means I have to stay longer. Id much rather stay later than deal with her

Sounds an awful lot like time clock fraud. We had a TL that was doing it. I forget how long it took before that person got the ax but spot knew about it the whole time, they just wanted to make sure their bases were covered legally before doing it.

Spot will catch her. Others maybe watching her too.
This^^ Just make sure you keep reporting her deficiencies to your TL so they can performance her out asap. Nothing pisses me off more than somebody not pulling their own weight on the job and making you work harder than you already do.

This person the OP is referencing is such a complete fuckup that I'm almost convinced that this never happened. Like seriously, I don't think even the shittiest of stores would put up with that crap.

OP, just keep doing your own thing, and I'm sure sooner or later that TM will be history. I guarantee you aren't the only one who knows how bad they are.

This person the OP is referencing is such a complete fuckup that I'm almost convinced that this never happened. Like seriously, I don't think even the shittiest of stores would put up with that crap.

OP, just keep doing your own thing, and I'm sure sooner or later that TM will be history. I guarantee you aren't the only one who knows how bad they are.

I wish I was making this all up. Like I said, it's to the point where I almost want to switch workcenters, it makes me that mad. There has been multiple instances where i thought she was actually going to get fired ...but it hasn't happened. It seems people are getting fired from our store for really minor things yet she somehow sticks around. My ETL-HR is super nice to me and always tells me to bring problems to her since she knows this particular co worker is trouble. I am thinking about letting her know my concerns

I've always said you either have a good work ethic or you don't. Most of those that don't never will for whatever reason. Don't let her drag you down. I wouldn't change work centers. Believe me, someone knows what's going on. They have to coach and document. Having said that, if you get no satisfaction from your TL go to your ETL. This is bullshit and I can't imagine it going on much longer. I think you will feel much better, if you know someone is taking care of this and you can hang on till the twit is canned.

The issue is, you may not get any satisfaction from your TL or an ETL, because if they *are* taking steps they can't tell you about it. So you won't know about it either way until they possibly get termed.*

* Unless your TL is careless and leaves the coaching documents in plain sight for all the world of guests and TMs to see, which I've seen way too often.

I smell some kool aid drinkers in here. You may work at a great store with great or decent team members, team leads, and ETLs and congrats on that. You're one of the lucky ones. There are some people that work at horrible stores with piece of crap human beings. I definitely see team members that are super lazy at my store so I can definitely relate. Their is a guy in meat that probably goes to the restroom in the backroom 2 to 5 times per hour. I see him just standing around doing nothing or walking kinda pacing to and fro. Very weird but it's Target. I have no idea why he's still employed at Target. It might be a pity thing or maybe he has a relative working at HQ.

Once we had 2 guys who would clock in and leave, then come back at the end of their shift and clock out again. I heard them getting screamed at by our ex-linebacker ETL while I was tearing signs for the Ad. No idea how long they got away with it.

I always thought Target was one of the hardest places to get fired from. I've seen so many TMs get away with so much here it's ridiculous. Had a guy call off once or twice a week (mainly on weekends) yet he KEPT his job. He'd stand around in the back and chit chat with everyone who walked on by. He'd get the "You're on your final warning" talks all the time. They just recently got rid of him because he NCNS three days in a row.

Had a woman who was HATED by everyone, including TLs/ETLs and kept her job for the longest time. She'd show up whenever she wanted, insulted whoever she wanted, called off when scheduled on Black Friday, Christmas, and New Years, and would leave during her break and return 45 minutes later like nothing happened. And they JUST nailed her for time clock fraud.

I could go on for hours for those who are still employed, but that would take up a ton of the page. As long as you show up and pretend to do your work, you won't be fired.

I deal with this crap all the time at my other job. My hardlines co-workers are pretty good though.

Unfortunately, if you make it out of your 90 days, Spot is VERY slow in getting someone terminated, regardless if it's legit and everyone want (s)he gone. Keep your performance up and just wait it out.

It also helps if we are he ETLs love or like you, if you are on their good, you can be a lazy horrible worker. You can be a dependable hard working minion with near perfect attendance but if the ETLs have you on their crap list, you better watch out.

Talk to ETL-Hr and talk privately to ETL-AP (either together or seperate) about this stuff.. these are some major time theft issues and if that don't work call the ethics hotline..but don't give your name to ethics hotline because its kinda going over leaders head so they might come after you

Talk to ETL-Hr and talk privately to ETL-AP (either together or seperate) about this stuff.. these are some major time theft issues and if that don't work call the ethics hotline..but don't give your name to ethics hotline because its kinda going over leaders head so they might come after you

Exactly if you want to take a longer lunch(we all do it once in a while) at least stay off the clock..

Don't count on it EVER happening....there are TMs at my store that are consistently 5-10 minutes late for their shifts, take 20+ minute breaks, clock back in from lunch THEN go to the bathroom/stop at Starbucks/pick up a snack (ending up taking 40+ minutes), call off once every couple of months with "the stomach flu" (aka hungover), keep their cellphones on them at all times and text their "significant others" all day long, and it's all been documented.....they're still there AND got some of the highest reviews in the store!!!!

So I work with this person, and she is the laziest person I have ever encountered. And by lazy, I mean LAZY. Things have been said before by me, by other coworkers, team leads, etc. but she still doesn't change. It's gotten to that point where I want to change work centers because I feel like I am the only one doing the work and its overwhelming. She is always talking to her boyfriend on the phone, eating/drinking, twirling her hair, all while on the clock and on the floor. Yes, on the floor in front of guests. What really set me off was the other day she took over an hour to get back from lunch because she was sitting in the back talking on the phone. She will clock out to take her lunch, then clock back in and go sit down for a while. Her breaks are even worse, those consist of 20-30 minutes and she will take multiple breaks, more than she is allowed.
I just do not know how to get somebody to do something about this. She also calls off all the time and I honestly don't know how she still has a job. Why do they keep her around? Does anybody have any suggestions on what I could do? I like my workcenter, but if it means not working with her anymore, it might just be worth it to switch to somewhere else

Sounds like you got someone lazy on your hands...

:)

We had a guy a few years ago get hired and he was covering a break for me in Food Ave one day (he'd been here like 2 months or so) and he just up and walked out. I came back from my lunch break to find 13 angry guests and I got yelled at by the LOD and they asked where I had been. I told them I was on my lunch and that this guy was covering for me. They looked for him for about 5 minutes and the dumb ass was standing outside against the light post smoking!!!

op you sure we don't work at the same store cause that sounds an awful lot like a cashier we have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back