Defecting before inventory

JohnSith373

Freedom of Information to All
It’s not only my store right? Pre-inventory they give you lots of merchandise with price’s and everything but you are still told to defect it out. Nothings wrong with with other than it’s either discontinued, not-on-planogram or we have too much of it.
@allnew2

Last edited:
It’s not only my store right? Pre-inventory they give you lots of merchandise with price’s and everything but you are still told to defect it out. Nothings wrong with with other than it’s either discontinued, not-on-planogram or we have too much of it.
Yeah I think that's pretty standard. We defected out a ton of online only merchandise. LIKE A TON OF IT.

Weird, now a lot of the discontinued and NOP have changed to online only items.

Online only items don't have a price when you scan them at the register or with a zebra. You can only put an online only sticker on them or defect them out. There are lots of things in the store that are discontinued that still scan at the register. A lot of it even has locations. I believe a lot of vendor items say discontinued. I wouldn't go with a blanket statement of defecting discontinued items.

isn't there some company wide direction about this? I was told that some of the rules from 2 years ago changed.

Online only items don't have a price when you scan them at the register or with a zebra. You can only put an online only sticker on them or defect them out. There are lots of things in the store that are discontinued that still scan at the register. A lot of it even has locations. I believe a lot of vendor items say discontinued. I wouldn't go with a blanket statement of defecting discontinued items.

isn't there some company wide direction about this? I was told that some of the rules from 2 years ago changed.
I’m assuming a rewrap or single item markdown as it’s called now would be the preferred way to push sales on discontinued items. I don’t believe defecting them is best practice.

Everything is wrong with it if you defect it pre-inventory you have margin loss. If it’s truly defective yes go ahead and process it. If it’s not let it be counted or added to your financial sheet. Let me explain why it would be a loss . You have returns with online only you give the guest a amount back as a return , then it goes in your store for less. You defect it out and lose even more because online item won’t show counts in your store . If I have to much of it I let them count it all so I can transfer it the next week. If it’s NOP I rather sell it for the price then defect and lose on it.

The month before inventory, you start furthering the SIM and online stuff. Week of inventory, we defect what has been furthered.

Why not defect online only stuff right away? I think it should be done when taken back by GS, but since we get a lot in reshop I just scan it as I'm processing reshop and if it comes up not on file it goes bye bye.
Because it’s a margin loss. You are giving the guest back his money , then you re-wrap at a lower markdown . If you defect it out you lose the whole sale on it because it’s not a on hand /inventory item. You want to try and make at least some money that you gave the guest.

Because it’s a margin loss. You are giving the guest back his money , then you re-wrap at a lower markdown . If you defect it out you lose the whole sale on it because it’s not a on hand /inventory item. You want to try and make at least some money that you gave the guest.
Why does the system allow it then? I was thrilled when I saw that start popping up because up until then I was re-wrapping.

Why does the system allow it then? I was thrilled when I saw that start popping up because up until then I was re-wrapping.
Is just like any return that was purchased in the store , however with online returns it won’t go back into your inventory which means that if you defect it you get nothing oppose to mark it down again and put it on the shelf to sell it. It all comes down from hq they don’t want to deal with returns being sent to them that’s why the allow the guest to return it in store .

Is just like any return that was purchased in the store , however with online returns it won’t go back into your inventory which means that if you defect it you get nothing oppose to mark it down again and put it on the shelf to sell it. It all comes down from hq they don’t want to deal with returns being sent to them that’s why the allow the guest to return it in store .
At the same time Online Only items can be items see sold in-store but are way past clearance and salvage.
An outdoor patio item that came in around Jan Week1 became an online only item even though we sold weeks ago.

Most of what’s been given is case packs which means it came from truck and not guest returns.
Everything is wrong with it if you defect it pre-inventory you have margin loss. If it’s truly defective yes go ahead and process it. If it’s not let it be counted or added to your financial sheet. Let me explain why it would be a loss . You have returns with online only you give the guest a amount back as a return , then it goes in your store for less. You defect it out and lose even more because online item won’t show counts in your store . If I have to much of it I let them count it all so I can transfer it the next week. If it’s NOP I rather sell it for the price then defect and lose on it.
No inventory for two years (last one in 2019) and the Sr ETL said “we gotta do what we gotta do”

Lots of the stuff that comes back and is online only has no logical place to put it on the floor and doesn't even have a picture on the box. We sell a lot of furniture online. It arrives and they decide they don't want it. What about that stuff?

All of our online-only rewrapped items sit on the clearance endcaps and never sell. Never.

Which is why we started defecting them so we could put items that do sell on those endcaps.

But I totally understand your reasoning @allnew2 It just doesn't work for us.
And I get it as well . You can only do so much with the littles space we have .

Lots of the stuff that comes back and is online only has no logical place to put it on the floor and doesn't even have a picture on the box
My gs knows to print the pictures and tape it on the item .

Maybe that’s why it’s not selling. I wouldn’t buy a box with no picture on it and a description.

Exactly which is why we defect it out. Where do you put all this random stuff? I'd love to do all this. It drives me crazy to defect out perfectly good stuff.

Exactly which is why we defect it out. Where do you put all this random stuff? I'd love to do all this. It drives me crazy to defect out perfectly good stuff.
All the stuff goes to their own department. If it’s patio to sea , furniture to home decor dbo . But they all have pictures .

VERY concerned, what would you do about this ? :
Price change is ignored at our store. Except on Fridays when each TL hits “cannot find” for every item on the list to clear it.

We have NO clearance labels or ticketed clearance merchandise ...... anywhere in the store !!

During transitions presentation typically gathers 2-3 pallets (never-ticketed) now SALVAGE merch from EACH dept. they re-set.
Nearly HALF of sporting goods went straight from full-price home location straight to the salvage pallet.

I get it, but when I scan an item from Style and it is not in the system (so no price or description comes up), I hit the defect option and "remove from store inventory" pops up. I select that, then select item location and "not on file" as reason for defect. In my opinion, if the company doesn't want us to do this, it should take that option away.

I have also noticed that occasionally rewrap is not presented as an option, only defect. I'm not sure if that's a glitch or what.

I don't have the excuse of nowhere to put it since I can easily hang it with the rest of Style clearance. Perhaps I won't be so trigger-happy with the defect going forward, lol.

If there is nothing physically wrong with the item and the 'remove from store inventory' option pops up, please use that to remove the OHQ

Back